<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lyth`s knock

August 19 2017 at 2:51 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

From todays Press.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/15482872.Lyth__39_s_record_knock_a_timely_reminder_to_England_selectors/?ref=mac

What a ridiculous article. Why would 161 of 73 balls in a T20 match have any bearing on Lyth`s England chances???

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 19, 2017 5:18 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Lyth`s knock

August 19 2017, 3:55 PM 

Might get him some global T20 gigs.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Hales had it too

August 19 2017, 4:52 PM 

Think I saw an article, probably on cricinfo, trying to make the case for Hales to get his test place back too on the back of his T20 exploits.

I'd love to see Lyth on the plane to Oz with the England test team.

He would need at least 4 massive match winning innings in our last 4 games to do it.

I could live with that.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 19 2017, 10:34 PM 

Hes as good as Stoneman and Jennings...

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Only as good as!

August 20 2017, 8:28 AM 

Not a ringing endorsement really, especially in the case of Jennings.

As always I hope to see him make some big runs in our last 4 CC games.

If he doesn't then next season I'd like to see him batting down at 4 or 5.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 20 2017, 9:21 AM 

But isn't that the problem now in test cricket. There is a distinct lack of quality batsmen the world over.

Batsmen today are taught to score 10 an over and have very little skill in defending against international bowlers

(Login BrickyardBoy)

August 20 2017, 8:59 PM 

Peter

Spot on! I could not have put it better myself.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 20 2017, 9:25 PM 

How easy it must be for the New Zealand selectors. With their small pool of players, they pick what they've got, stick with the player until he succeeds - or sinks without trace. Would Williamson have been a world star if he was English?

[I'm not saying he wouldn't have been, merely that he might not have been if he hadn't done well immediately upon initial selection.]

Our selectors have their detractors; I'm one of them. But they've done well with Moin Ali, whom most of us thought was a ridiculous selection, I think.

But the list of Test failure (or perceived failure) batsmen is a long one...

Bopara, Patel, Morgan, Compton, Carberry, Lyth, Robson, Hales, Hameed, Jennings, Buttler, Ballance, Duckett, Vince, Dawson - and I may have missed a few! - of those still playing County cricket.

Currently, Westley, Stoneman and Malan.

Some who never got a chance, such as Hildreth and Nash, Madsen and Wakely.

More waiting in the wings - Livingstone, Clarke, Gubbins, Bell-Drummond and others.

That's one hell of a lot of players, all with individual strengths and weaknesses, but they're all talented. And these are just the batsmen.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

August 21 2017, 1:29 PM 

I think, at times, the criticism of Lyth is very unjust. He has scored plenty of runs as an opener for us, scored a test match century, one of the best one day knocks you will ever see.

Not bad. Yes his form this season has been sketchy, but the talent is there without question. He wouldn't have done what he has if it wasn't.

From is temporary etc......

(Login ThirdUmpire)

August 22 2017, 6:35 PM 

Well t20 success worked for Hales and Malan in getting a test call so why not Lyrh

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 22 2017, 7:15 PM 

Apart from his t20 brilliant knock, Lyth played a very solid and responsible one at Scarborough against Essex but he has not had a great season in first class matches. He cannot surely justify a recall to Ashes test cricket unless he has a highly productive September and all the other England new boys have poor final two tests against West Indies?

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 22 2017, 9:10 PM 

Hales had a good Championship season prior to his call-up in fairness, but that was batting in the middle order not opening, a role in which he has never had any success in red ball cricket.

I think Lyth suffers from the fact that he makes the game look so easy, players of that ilk such as Gower and Bell are always more prone to criticism compared to perceived less talented battlers in the Trott or Collingwood mould. Overall I think Lyth has probably just about found his level: a good county player who is capable of playing at a very high level for certain periods or innings but is just short of the consistency required to make it in international cricket. His career FC record stacks up very well, with his career average of 39.5 a clear 3 runs ahead of all contemporaries bar those who have had international success (McGrath, Gale, Lees), while he seems to have finally mastered the white ball game in the last couple of years too. He's almost the ideal county player in that sense, and has been a very good servant to YCCC.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk