<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Martin
(Login Martinh00)

Re: T20 Quarter-Finals

August 23 2017, 3:56 PM 

Of course Hampshire might also reflect on the fact that Afridi had done NOTHING with the bat throughout the tournament batting at 7. The only "surprise" for me is that he wasn't batted higher up the order from the first match.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 23 2017, 4:12 PM 

Well i suspect they surprised Derbys by taking Madsen apart first over, he will have been booked in for 4 overs but was never seen again. We treated him like a peak Shane Warne.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 23 2017, 4:18 PM 

Boom-boom showed Madsen to be exactly what he is - a very poor part-time spinner, unlike us who treated him like a world beater.

No flexibility or plan "b" adopted by Derbyshire. Just because the Madsen early overs had worked previously, it should have been jettisoned when Afridi was promoted to opener. 16 off the first over, meant Hants were always in total charge of the match.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 23 2017, 4:27 PM 

Afridi has a big reputation based on the very rare destructive innings he is capable of. They are rare. Afridi has scored only 9 50s in 222 T20 innings at a strike rate of 150. Compare him with Willey (6 x 50s in 100 innings) at strike rate that is only slightly less inferior.

The gamble was probably that on he would swing himself off his feet against Madsen and get out in the first over.

This message has been edited by Martinh00 on Aug 23, 2017 5:26 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 23 2017, 5:23 PM 

Maybe we should have used Plunkett as opener in the games he played - we lost games when he did not get to the crease at all!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 23 2017, 7:27 PM 

Unbelievable, that we lost 3 from 3 against Derbyshire & Leicester.

11 overseas players on show tonight. Ridiculous that it is allowed.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 23, 2017 7:55 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 23 2017, 7:38 PM 

Yes, how on earth did we lose against Derbyshire and Leicestershire. Only expect one Northern Group team to get into Semis ie Notts. Puts our poor performance into perspective.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Performance can trump teamwork

August 23 2017, 8:15 PM 

Looks like a very difficult pitch but you would imagine Glamorgan can stroll it from here.

Leicestershire beat us largely because Ronchi got them off to a flyer.

They also beat Notts in the last group game because of a big innings from Delport and some steady bowling.

A big game from one or two players can make a big difference in T20.

swfctyke
(Login swfctyke)

August 23 2017, 10:48 PM 

Derbyshire won eight group games and lost one at home, so they can't be as bad as last night. Unfortunately for them , they were so good in the group, they never entertained that plan A wouldn't work again.
Leicestershire were just poor, as you wouldn't have Glamorgan down as anywhere near as good a side as Hants.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 24 2017, 12:17 PM 

2 very one-sided contests so far, and probably another one tonight. Can not see Somerset troubling Notts in the slightest.

Tomorrows should be a very tight match though, with Surrey just having a slight edge.

swfctyke
(Login swfctyke)

August 24 2017, 6:00 PM 

We can't keep saying "how did we lose to them" when the group was over 14 games.
I believe we would have improved in the knock out stages if we had qualified, but we didn't. I'm sure Accrington Stanley would say they'd have a good go at the champions league, given the chance!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 24 2017, 6:21 PM 

Just had a stat on Sky. Notts have scored the most nr of runs in the T20 this season, Somerset were third. We, despite not qualifying, were the 2nd highest run scorers. Do we blame the bowlers!?

(Login dpressed)

August 24 2017, 7:19 PM 

Lies, damned lies & statistics.

In this year's T20 When we won be won BIG. We lost 5 matches by a few runs. So of course we scored loads of runs. It was the team who lost it, not batsmen or bowlers. Basically the same Yorkshire I've seen for most of my cricket watching career. Whenever we get under pressure in a limited overs match we crumple. (Yes 1987. & 200 were exceptions)

It's got so bad that I now refuse to attend knock out matches. I've spent far too many days/money watching Yorkshire throw away limited over matches.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 24 2017, 9:13 PM 

A closer match tonight which made for a much better game than the first two quarters.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Tales of woe

August 24 2017, 9:30 PM 

I know it's the Yorkshire forum but honestly we aren't in the quarter-finals. No amount of raking the ashes will change that.

Anyway, better game tonight, Somerset gave Notts a bit of a scare, which is as it should be, but the home side had plenty of batsmen to see them home.

Impressive support tonight and I'm pleased they were rewarded and went home happy.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 24 2017, 10:57 PM 

You're still on for 4/4 Stu, I hope you had money on it!

Re: who is to blame for Yorkshire's early exit, I would say the seam bowlers and middle order batsmen. Lyth, Kohler-Cadmore and Willey all had good tournaments and led us to very large totals on a number of occasions, while Rashid and Rafiq both did well through the middle overs. Losing as many close games as we did shows that we did poorly at the end of each innings, with our batting in the closing overs often coming up short and our death bowling inconsistent; Willey and Plunkett were particularly disappointing given their international pedigree. Without being too reactive to tonight's game, a player like Christian would have been useful...

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 24 2017, 11:03 PM 

No money on it JG. Tomorrow's will be the closest of the 4, but still tipping Surrey (just).

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 24 2017, 11:15 PM 

has motortmouth flintoff shut up yet? he must be the most annoying thing to escape from over the hill.

swfctyke
(Login swfctyke)

August 25 2017, 7:09 AM 

Some say T20 is unpredictable, but the quarters have been entirely dull and predictable.
A shame, as I wanted one of the smaller, unfancied teams through.
Clearly Notts are a very good side. Could easily end up with three trophies.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No Coconut

August 25 2017, 10:06 PM 

Close Stu but you fell at the last hurdle.

I really enjoyed that.

Made the other 3 quarter finals look a bit pedestrian.

Surrey are a difficult team to like, with Rikki Clarke back it's even harder.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk