<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
ian
(Login Royalnavy)

Re: 2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

August 27 2017, 7:29 PM 

unfortunately that probably rules GB in! the selectors seem to enjoy watching him fail so will pick him at 3 with no county game under his belt.

Westley will get one more test to show us he's not quite good enough, Hales might get a go at 5 or does Malan get the same and has one more go, who actually knows anymore?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

August 27 2017, 7:43 PM 

Natural justice surely suggests that Westley is given the same opportunity as Malan? After all Westley did get his 50 v the more challenging South Africa whereas Malan's was against the WI. I suppose Malan could get a big score tomorrow, which might settle things for a while..

Then if they get one more game (or even if they dont) it would be a big call to bring in completely new batsmen for the Ashes. The seectors have painted themselves into a corner.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

August 27 2017, 9:15 PM 

this really has been an absorbing test match - yes there have been some poor drops but there has been some very fine bowling from Anderson, Gabriel and Holder and some fine batting

the prices tomorrow are £15 for adults and £5 for juniors

I am hopeful that those posters who claim the price of test cricket on this site and otherwise will attend and enjoy international cricket at domestic prices - it is great value and the forecast is good - will be interesting to see the attendance

as much as I love county cricket and Yorkshire, since top international players stopped playing county cricket whole season as in the 80s' county cricket ( whilst significantly improved in standard through two divisions and through increase in quality the last few years), there is now a material difference in quality between county and international cricket

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 27 2017, 9:41 PM 

Agreed that test cricket is a significantly higher standard for county cricket and I also really hope the Yorkshire folk flock to Headingley tomorrow.

I cant do tomorrow but I'm hopefully for Tuesday - come on England bat until late afternoon and the come on the Windies openers get though to stumps.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

August 28 2017, 9:27 AM 

I will have to work today, but hopefully I can go tomorrow. Will the tickets only be available on the gate?

4th day of a Test match - £15
County Championship matches - £16

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 9:42 AM 

Yes, rather wish I'd snapped up a ticket online last night for today.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 28 2017, 10:12 AM 

I thought long and hard about which game to attend today. I came within a mouse-click of buying a £15 Test ticket but, in the end, I opted for the tranquility of a county championship game at Old Trafford.

Cost didn't really come into it, though the tram ride to OT is free and I've already paid membership. Headingley would have cost me about £27, including travel.

The clincher was that, at OT, I will be able to sit with friends, and able to talk quietly, have fun, and move around as the mood takes me. I won't have to queue for anything, nor be body-searched, bossed around by gestapo stewards or forced to sit next to someone dressed as a [fill in your own gap]. Some of my regular CC friends may well be at Headingley, but if I bought a ticket for one area I wouldn't be even allowed in to a different one. Nor would I be permitted to take photographs, not serious ones with my 400 mm lens.

If the game gets interesting, which it probably will, I will be able to watch it in comfort in the Lancs members' bar.

So, while the cricket at Headingley will be of a higher standard - but not by much - the quality of the overall watching experience will be lower.

A close judgement call, and I may have got it wrong, but that's the way I decided.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

2nd Test - Match Thread

August 28 2017, 11:07 AM 

Enjoyed that Dave. Nice problem to have- hope you enjoy the Match you have chosen. I have to say my thought processes go along with yours- enjoy the 'old fashioned' way of watching cricket. Hope you have a good day and all our rivals have a bad one.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 11:33 AM 

Congratulations to the club on the 15 pound ticket offer - it's a real boost for the true cricket supporter.
And good that for once the Test hasn't been a) a two-day fiasco or b) washed away by a mid summer monsoon as often seen in the past.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 28 2017, 12:14 PM 

Well said - not sure if it was decided by ECB or YCCC - but whoever decided on the £15 tickets i think they've got it just about right..
Lets hope the game lasts into tomorrow.....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 28 2017, 12:15 PM 

Can I just add to Daves very good reasons for not attending the test - the hassle of travelling, when the A64 is shut from Bramham cross roads to Leeds and the extra traffic due to the Leeds festival & the Leeds carnival.

I will watch on Sky, thanks.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 28 2017, 12:50 PM 

Enthralling cricket. I feel as thoough I have stumbled across a proper test match.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 2:34 PM 

I am watching on Sky but with TMS commentary. There has been little discussion of Gabriel continually no-balling. Why has the umpire not been calling him? The Third Ump must be alerting him, surely.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

August 28 2017, 2:43 PM 

Anyone kept score of how many dropped catches there has been in this match? I don't think I can remember a test match with so many. Watching the highlights the overall standard of fielding has been poor.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 28 2017, 2:47 PM 

Apparently it's too difficult for the umpire because they have so much to concentrate on ( Bumble . not me, saying that).

Obviously there is no technology available to check their decisions is there?

Good point made by Botham is that the bowlers are not having to restrict their game by not being punished unless, of course, it costs them a wicket.

And what about the lost runs?

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 2:59 PM 

Exactly. England have lost runs that could be crucial in the end, although it looks like West Indies heads have dropped now. And the ball is spitting for the spinners, so I'd have thought 150 will be a tough target now.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 28 2017, 3:09 PM 

"Just add 2 wickets to the score" . the old adage comes into play just as you were posting Brian.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 3:12 PM 

Yes, but I suspect England have enough now. And batting should get easier as the ball gets older for the seamers.
Yet another dropped catch - Bairstow this time.
Edit
But now Jonny plays a daft shot and goes back to the pavilion.
Well, you can't say it's not entertaining, but I could do with a bit less entertainment and grinding out another 50 from the tail.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Aug 28, 2017 3:16 PM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 28 2017, 3:16 PM 

Poor shot from JB.Still want a few more I feel. 200 would be comfortable

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 28 2017, 3:21 PM 

Poor shots from Stokes and Bairstow. Another 70-80 be handy.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Aug 28, 2017 3:21 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk