<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re dropped catches

August 28 2017, 3:23 PM 

Sky has just replayed 7 (SEVEN as they used to put on the old Grandstand Teleprinter) drops from this innings.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

Re: 2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

August 28 2017, 4:34 PM 

Some drops are nothing more than half chances...but that's not the case here...cant remember when so many dollies have been dropped added to sloppy fielding in general and the fiasco of the run out dolly....this really has been a poor quality match...but it has been engrossing to watch.

So pleased for yccc that finally they have managed to get a terrific match at headingley.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 28 2017, 4:51 PM 

Yes, it's a cracker, but looks as though the terrific Moeen and supporting Woakes have put it beyond the Windies, unless they bat fantastically well, and they do look very deflated. Can't see where they are going to take a wicket at the moment.
Edit
Oh well, that's how they're going to take a wicket - a skier from Moeen. But I suspect he's won this with his effortless stroke play. Shame he didn't get three figures but that is a superb innings. Drop? What drop?

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Aug 28, 2017 5:10 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 28 2017, 5:19 PM 

Yep brilliant from Moeen. How solid is Woakes?! Some player to have that technically sound coming in at 9.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

August 28 2017, 8:03 PM 

The best test match for a while, it's not often day 5 sees all 3 results still easily achievable.
To add to some of the above about actually attending the match. I went with my dad to day 2, not the most thrilling of days cricket this match but absorbing none the less and it has set the game up nicely. I've got to say that the service and general experience was faultless. £30 for a ticket on the early bird deal (I pay more than that for 90 mins of 2nd tier football at Elland Road) We parked up not to far away (for free) and made our way to the ground where we were greeted near the turnstiles by a friendly steward and pointed in the right direction. Yes our bags were searched but in a very friendly way which took very little time. We were helped to find our seats again by stewards who had a smile on their face all day. We were in the western terrace but not the "party stand" part, there was a bit of beer being drunk but nobody in any way intruding on anyone else's enjoyment. When we went for dinner & a drink at the lunch break we queued no more than a few mins at the vans/bar. All in all a very enjoyable day and we'll be back next year. I love a day at championship cricket, it's very relaxing and I love supporting Yorkshire but it's nice to see England once a year too. I'd have gone today/tomorrow if I didn't have plans, great value, well done YCCC and ECB.

(Login Kirkstallion)

August 28 2017, 8:26 PM 

Went today with the kids and really enjoyed it. Fair play to the club they have got the marketing, ticket pricing and match day experience spot on. Helped by the weather and a surprisingly competitive West Indian side I don't think anyone could have envisaged this test match turning out so well.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Inviting offer

August 28 2017, 8:56 PM 

The weather always helps of course but it was a good day today.

Trying to cut my mileage down or I'd be tempted to go back across tomorrow.

£5 for us aged is very tempting.

Though the game isn't won it has certainly swung a long way towards an England win and if the bowling is anything like expect England to roll them up by tea time.

A WI win wouldn't be the end of the world either, though Moeen Ali might not agree.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 28 2017, 9:00 PM 

very good pricing initiative, what was the attendance figure today?

(Login swfctyke)

August 28 2017, 9:14 PM 

This test has really been of a poor standard. Poor fielding, poor batting and poor bowling. Truly awful. Not good for the game at all.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 28 2017, 9:25 PM 

Yet it's been great viewing!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Dropped catches

August 28 2017, 9:51 PM 

Not sure that the quality of the cricket has really been so poor.

Difficult to argue against the number of catches dropped of course.

I've watched some of the game on Sky and they really do make me poorly with their in depth analysis of every flaming ball.

They must have several truck loads of nerdy analysts all vying to find something for the wooden Indians in the commentary box to talk about.

menston yccc
(Login menstonyccc)

August 28 2017, 9:53 PM 

definitely agree the fielding has been poor but it is a nonsense to say that the batting and bowling has been poor throughout

I am not sure how a cricket fan could not appreciate the spells of Anderson and Gabriel ( he tired today after long sustained spells of quality up to this point in the test) and holder ( spell to cook) - roach has also bowled well at times

I expect ali to bowl well tomorrow and it will be interesting to see if broad and woakes who have bowled poorly to date perform

interesting to see the test praised by ganguly who also has praise for headingley describing it as one of his favourite grounds ( see tweet which is on the yorks twitter feed)

says it all really

(Login matthefish2002)

August 28 2017, 9:59 PM 

Read crowd was just over 8,000 there today.
Sorry working tomorrow as we would go again for a tenner.

Windies been competative but really let down by fielding.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 28 2017, 10:24 PM 

It has been interesting to see Patto bowl in Test cricket. It was him wasn't it? Same height, same speed, same accuracy, and getting Cook out. But he's improved his batting since he became Holder.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

August 29 2017, 9:16 AM 

Agree with the West Indies fielding being poor but on the day we went (Saturday) we said a few times how impressive the England fielders were even when they'd been wicketless for hours they threw themselves at and stopped everything including a few last ditch saves on the boundary.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Demerit points for ICC

August 29 2017, 11:11 AM 

Getting silly now: Holder demerited apparently for swearing to himself over a dropped catch. Only once out of seven or eight, mind you. Can hardly blame him. Swann on TMS suggests they have a swearbox and give the proceeds to charity.

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2017, 11:51 AM 

I'm at Headingley. Very decent crowd in although only about a third of the western terrace open. I was part of a lengthy queue along the Kirkstall Lane. Organisation, stewarding and general friendliness faultless. Well done to yccc, this really is turning into an excellent test match.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

August 29 2017, 2:04 PM 

West Indies cruising at the moment , looks like being 1-1 with all to play for in the last Test

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2017, 2:24 PM 

..nice try....

Sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2017, 2:30 PM 

This is a home match and the crowd naturally want England to win but you really do sense a lot of love for the West indies. Cricket really could do with a revival in the Caribbean. I'm rooting for them today.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk