<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
GG68
(Login GG68)

2nd Test

August 29 2017, 9:49 PM 

Joe said the decision to declare was in part based on the fact that it was spinning on the 4th day. If that's the case why didn't they play two recognised spinners. After all they have enough fast/medium pace bowlers nowadays particularly with all the all-rounders in the side.
However I agree Moeen had two bad innings as a bowler. Really in the end the bowling let them down-which is unusual for England.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

Re: 2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

August 29 2017, 11:08 PM 

Cricket continually surprises. After watching Moeen's over late on Monday, I thought Root would open with him today, and that it would be all over by lunch, six or seven down.

Okay the ball was still new, and we dropped a vital catch, but the opening bowlers didn't look dangerous. Neither did Moeen when he got his chance. Woakes was 78 mph and all over the place, again, and Stokes apparently not trusted.

England have had only one good day out of the five. Got what they deserved.

Brilliant game, though, on a great pitch. Graves & Co should note that the great Test matches do last five days. It's the one-sided ones, usually, that finish in three or four.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

August 30 2017, 7:36 AM 

I had a bad session with the ball but not as bad as Woakes happy.gif. Easy in hindsight but I'd have stuck with Toby. It's o.k. saying Woakes batted well but we may not have needed those extra runs if TRJ was in the side and taking wickets anyway. Still, fair play to the West Indies, a great comeback after the first Test debacle

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

August 30 2017, 8:11 AM 

What an absorbing and brilliant game of test cricket blessed with fine weather and excellent support. The match ebbed and flowed and the West Indies revival was very encouraging and tremendous result for their young and talented team, boding well for future. England did not bat well enough in their first innings and missed chances but no blame should be attributed to Joe Root. The top order is nowhere near being a finished article and neither Woakes or Ali (as main spinner) looked good enough for the Ashes.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

August 30 2017, 8:32 AM 

Few asides:

What's the cooperate hospitality situation nowadays? I know yesterday was day five so nothing would have been sold but all the same it struck me that Headingly is a ground without 'boxes', back in the 80s and 90s there were lots come test match time. Where are the Cornhill men, a one time staple of test cricket? (well Investic insurance people) back in the day there'd be blocks of suited 'Cornhill' executives who'd all file out about 12:30 for lunch and then back again at 2:30pm, leaving many a top priced prime positioned seat empty for a couple of hours.

Good to see the 2015 Championship pennant framed and displayed on the staircase in the Long Room - well done to whoever organised that.

Attendance yesterday was announced as 8,500 and the match total at 56,000. This must be more than budgeted for. The debt is dropping as we speak!

And final where exactly in the ground on test match day do I buy my morning coffee for the benefit of YCCC?

This message has been edited by sid-don on Aug 30, 2017 8:49 AM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

August 30 2017, 8:44 AM 

One can forlornly hope that the ECB will look again at the schedule and see that it is poorly constructed for the purpose of rehabilitating players in First Class crickiet in readiness for possible Test call-ups.

Woakes was clearly not match-ready. If they recall Ballance, what FC cricket will he have had?

Not holding my breath.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Putting teams away

August 30 2017, 9:02 AM 

Although England's position at the end of day 4 was really not deserved we did end up in a quite strong match winning position.

Lots of ifs and buts and it was typical of this game that if Cook had hung on to the catch from Brathwaite on 4 it might have been all over by tea.

On the 2nd spinner question it was against the same opposition in the Windies in 2015 that the single spinner, Tredwell in that case, was so ineffective in the 2nd innings of a match that England dominated and could only draw.

All the pundits were calling for Adil Rashid to play. His star may well be falling but Mason Crane may get his chance at Lords.

Hope TRJ plays on his home ground which will mean he won't be available for Middlesex at Headingley, shame!.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk