<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

August 25 2017 at 10:17 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Aug 25-29, 2017 - 2nd Test at Headingley, Leeds

England (from): Alastair Cook, Mark Stoneman, Tom Westley, Joe Root, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Jonny Bairstow, Moeen Ali, Toby Roland-Jones, Stuart Broad, Jimmy Anderson, Chris Woakes

West Indies (from): Kraigg Brathwaite, Kieran Powell, Kyle Hope, Shai Hope, Roston Chase, Jermaine Blackwood, Shane Dowrich, Jason Holder, Devendra Bishoo, Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel

""

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

Re: 2nd Test | England vs the West Indies at Headingley (Match Thread)

August 25 2017, 11:51 AM 

I'd like to think the 50th anniversary of the West Indian festival in Leeds will compliment this match and maybe raise a bit of West Indian interest. I fear the interest in the test team just isn't there anymore though.

Should be another routine win for England inside three and a half days. Probably by an innings. Cook has gone early.

David in Morley
(Login DavidinMorley)

August 25 2017, 12:16 PM 

37 for 3.

Maybe we won't get to day four but not for the reason we thought!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 25 2017, 12:39 PM 

Jeez. This summer been a terrible advert for the standard of batsmen in CC.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Aug 25, 2017 12:39 PM

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 25 2017, 12:50 PM 

Well what else do you expect? These days batsmen aspire to score 10 an over and lose the art of defence and seeing off the new ball.

Enjoy what's left of test cricket, future generations will not play multi day cricket

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 25 2017, 12:59 PM 

Got to agree Peter, no defence. no defiance.

Could have been much worse had they caught Joe.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 25 2017, 1:04 PM 

Well the batsmen that have come in and failed are all scoring at about 40 SR. So not sure they're being overly attacking!

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 25 2017, 1:05 PM 

Dawid Malan seems to have some defence and defiance about him. I've not seen any of the innings as i'm at work but 3 from 48 balls!

DavidinMorley
(Login DavidinMorley)

August 25 2017, 1:08 PM 

3 from 31 actually Tom, but you may be correct soon after lunch!

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

August 25 2017, 1:45 PM 

Sorry, I think the BBC had their minutes and balls columns mixed up!

Still, good going in a modern test.

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

August 25 2017, 1:55 PM 

8 from 39 but ....................timber!

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

August 25 2017, 4:08 PM 

Not saying they try to whack every ball, but in training these days batsmen concentrate and scoring runs and cannot defend

Bowlers don't need to bowl wicket taking deliveries just need to contain the batsmen who will then get themselves out....not just my opinion but exactle what sir Geoffrey was say in tms earlier.

How often nowadays do we see batsmen batting all day on a bowler friendly wicket?

The sort of innings gb' athers and gatting used to do not to mention tavarre amiss and many other opening batsmen.

Its a lost art killed by t20

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 25 2017, 4:23 PM 

It is indeed largely a lost art, Peter, but it doesn't follow that t20 is the cause. I think it has contributed, but the old stagers - players and spectators - were grumbling about this before the t20s arrived. They tended to attribute it to covered wickets, which removed the batsman's familiarity with movement and uneven bounce. Playing with soft hands, leaving deliveries you didn't need to play, covering your bat with support from pad or body, all were part of a day's work for quite ordinary players in the old days.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

What the audience wants!

August 25 2017, 7:19 PM 

Some may have been annoyed by the noise from the party stand but cricket wise I think people have had their money's worth today.

I have to hold my hand up and say that although I can take a nice sunny day with some slow cricket now and again, I've come to enjoy watching the game move on a bit quicker.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 25 2017, 11:26 PM 

Some of the catches WI have dropped... well, they're unbelievable. They would not go down in schools cricket.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Day 4

August 26 2017, 6:02 PM 

Think I can plan my route now to circumvent the two festivals.

Hopefully England bat well and we might even go to a day 5.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 26 2017, 7:25 PM 

This England team drives me to despair. I forked out good money to see a pathetic performance at Trent Bridge. I don't mind losing; it's unprofessional attitudes from highly paid performers that drive me nuts.

But we redeemed ourselves and put a weak S African side out of its misery, then squashed Windies at Edgbaston, so all seemed well.

Then came Headingley. The batting was a re-run of Trent Bridge, and would have been worse against a team who could catch. Then the bowling!

At Edgbaston they picked Wood, who clearly wasn't fit. Now they drop the successful and reliable Toblerone and pick Woakes, who hasn't played for nearly three months, and he bowls 80 mph long-hops all day.

After six Test matches they are no nearer a settled top 5 than they were at the start of the summer. Who are they going to take to Australia? Hameed gets better every time he doesn't play (except to those who actually watch him play); Ballance's chances must be increasing by the minute; or perhaps they go for Hales or Roy or Lyth on the strength of T20 runs.

Rubbish administrators: Graves, Harrison, Strauss.

Rubbish coach: Trevor (I don't know any English players) Bayliss.

Rubbish team, as Australia will prove.

(I feel better now.)

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

August 26 2017, 7:33 PM 

Bell-Drummond and Joe Clarke for me, please, although there's not much time left now before the Gabba. GB returns at five. We've tried some options, they've failed, so let's go for younger players who have potential, at least.
Re this match, it's probably lost, and most likely heavily. We hardly ever perform at Headingley, do we?

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 26 2017, 7:34 PM 

There's something about Headingley that brings out England at their worst. At least for the good folk of Nottingham it was a rare poor showing.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 26 2017, 7:47 PM 

By the way, I feel I've been unduly disrespectful to Windies in my rant, above.

Their two decent seamers bowled good line and length, as you would expect Roach, especially, to do. And the two young batsmen did brilliantly, to play like old pros brought up in English conditions. One can imagine Stuart Law having much knowledge to impart, given his record. And Bayliss played for who, exactly?

But, as the old saying goes, you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. The main effort has to come from the player, rather than from the coach. Ramprakash was decidedly useful himself, but are they listening?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk