<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Matches commencing 28 August

August 27 2017 at 7:42 PM
Geoff B  (Login Coastalview)

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

Despite not playing this round of matches is well worth keeping an eye on.

We, alongside Hants, are sitting this round out and hoping there isn't too much damage done points wise.

I'd like to see it all come together a bit with wins for Somerset and Warks and a draw in the other one. All low scoring of course with no batting points for anybody.

The glass half empty part of me, and many others I'm sure, want to see Somerset and Warks lose and cement their positions in the bottom two.

All we can do is see what transpires.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Matches commencing 28 August

August 27 2017, 8:07 PM 

Definitely want Warwickshire & Somerset to lose or draw, or there is a realistic chance of us going down.

I honestly can not see us winning more than one of our last 4 matches.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Aug 27, 2017 8:37 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 27 2017, 8:23 PM 

I will be at Old Trafford tomorrow, for once actually supporting Lancs rather than just pretending to. Even more vital is that Essex at least do not lose to Somerset.

Remember all these teams below us have a game in hand.

Of course, if we can WIN our games...well that's different. But we're not going to, on the evidence of recent performances.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 28 2017, 11:54 AM 

Amazed that Amir is playing for Essex. ALL the Pakistan players were called back for a training camp. ALL apart from Amir it seems.

I wonder how Essex managed to swing that in their favour.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

August 28 2017, 12:46 PM 

They were all released back to play county crcket, CPL etc about a week ago.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 28 2017, 4:01 PM 

Thanks for that EYT.

I thought they would stop over there after the training camp for the matches coming up v the Rest of the World.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 28 2017, 4:08 PM 

Wickets tumbling. Some in our favour (Warks 200 ao) some certainly not (Essex 159 ao!) In the Surrey Middlesex which we probably want a draw, Middlesex are 163-7.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Aug 28, 2017 4:08 PM

Yorkyspur78
(Login Yorkyspur78)

August 28 2017, 6:23 PM 

According to the scores/team line ups on the BBC Ryan sidebottom is play for Warwickshire again

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 28 2017, 8:38 PM 

Good day's cricket, Lancs v Warwicks. Wickets tumbling to seam, then a partnership between Patel and Stone, lots of dropped catches.

Lancs struggling against 4-prong seam attack. Warwicks have gained Sidebottom and the pacy Stone since we played them early season. Sidebottom is younger and quicker than his namesake, right-arm and not hairy.

Some lovely strokes from Livingstone put Lancs marginally ahead; Chanderpaul and Buttler to come. Lancs will have to bat last against Patel. Need a substantial lead, therefore. Like 200.

We badly need Essex to fight back against Somerset. Thank goodness Hildreth is out! Davies in, though.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Only one

August 28 2017, 8:46 PM 

The Australian Ryan Sidebottom can have the name all to himself next season, if he's still around that is.

So far so good I think, not too many batting bonus points being taken by our rivals at any rate.

The top of the Championship will be dead if Essex win so I don't want to see that happen, it still may of course.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 28 2017, 10:34 PM 

We are not going to win the Championship, so no way do I want Somerset to win.

C'mon Essex, beat Somerset or we could well go down.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Week or two in the media spotlight

August 29 2017, 8:27 AM 

For a golden couple of weeks last year County cricket was in the news during the nail biting championship run in.

We might not be involved in the drama at the top this season but I think seeing Essex 50 points clear with only one match to play is not what County cricket needs.

I understand the motives of wanting to tread on the fingers of the two teams hanging over the precipice, and when it comes to the last game of the season I'm with you. But there's still plenty of the season left and lots to play for.

I know pessimism is in some peoples DNA but I prefer to look up and not down.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2017, 8:40 AM 

We're all in the gutter - but some of us prefer to look at the stars...

I'm with you. Our destiny is in our hands. Lets not worry too much bout other people's results.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Matches 28th August

August 29 2017, 8:57 AM 

Love your 'treading on fingers'analogy Geoff B.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 29 2017, 4:19 PM 

The three losses we need by Middlesex, Warwickshire & Somerset are looking more likely now.

We could still have 3 teams below us going into next weeks matches.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Possible points table (I'm bored)

August 29 2017, 8:09 PM 

You can never trust the weather forecast of course but if it is correct then I can't see any play at Essex or the Oval tomorrow which probably brings a draw into the equation for both those matches.

Rain possible at Old Trafford on Thurs but giving Lancashire the points for a win.

Team Played Points
Essex 10 165
Lanc 10 141
Hants 10 117
Surrey 10 114
Middx 10 105
Yorks 10 103
Somerset 10 84
Warks 10 68

I can live with that, we haven't lost much ground and Essex are still capable of being caught, even if it is by Lancashire.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 29 2017, 10:41 PM 

I do see Geoff's point, but if the choice is between a title race contested by Lancashire- especially the current Kolpak-heavy Lancashire side- and a stroll to the title for Essex, I think I'd prefer the latter. Much better day for us on that basis, with Somerset and Warwickshire both struggling.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 29 2017, 10:53 PM 

Personally I am not interested in any title race not contested by Yorkshire, whether it is tight or not. Lancashire winning the Championship would just about crown our worst season since 2011. Who won the Championship that year again?...

Not a year I ever want to see repeated.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2017, 10:59 PM 

Lancs play Essex at OT next week, while we are taking on Middlesex. Warwicks play Somerset at Edgbaston.

All will be much clearer following that round of games. Perhaps.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

August 30 2017, 12:03 AM 

it looks like the weather is getting worse, probably rain affected next week. a great shame after waiting so long for proper cricket to come back. septembers are sometimes nice but it gets more doubtful.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk