<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

Re: Matches commencing 28 August

August 30 2017, 7:40 AM 

Already starting to rain in London, looks like a blank day in this neck of the woods unless that narrow gap between rain belts gets wider

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

August 30 2017, 6:56 PM 

Hopefully Essex will resist the temptation to make any declarations or "deals" with Somerset tomorrow. And avoid getting bowled out for a chaseable target.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

So far so good

August 30 2017, 8:10 PM 

Can't see any deals being done so I would imagine two draws from the Southern matches.

I wouldn't begrudge Warks 4 points for a draw, 12 points less for Lancashire, after some decent resistance today but it looks a long shot.

The weather may intervene to help them out but it looks more likely to be showery rather than persisting it down.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 30 2017, 8:18 PM 

Geoff - it is 5 points for a draw.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Course it is

August 30 2017, 9:02 PM 

Thanks Stu, I don't begrudge them 5 points then if that only gives Lancashire 13 rather than 24.

I've got nothing against Essex and I don't mind them winning the CC if we can't.

I just don't want it to happen until the last round of games.

JG
(Login _JG_)

August 31 2017, 12:08 AM 

Essex have a largely home-grown side (Cook, Browne, Westley, Lawrence, Bopara, Wheater, Porter) and obviously there is the Yorkshire connection with the coaching staff, so although they wouldn't usually be my favourite other county I wouldn't begrudge them the title either. I would certainly rather them win it than Kolpak-heavy Lancashire (Chanderpaul, McLaren, Vilas, Jarvis) or Hants (Rossouw, Ervine, Berg, Abbott, Edwards) anyway.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 31 2017, 12:30 AM 

Indeed. Surprising number of Lanky fanboys on the forum.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Not without sin!

August 31 2017, 7:59 AM 

Essex themselves haven't been shy in using a non homegrown player or two this season. (Quinn, Wagner, Amir, Harmer, Zaidi).

I'll give them Ten Doeschate despite him being born in South Africa.

Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

August 31 2017, 3:15 PM 

Warwickshire about to lose and a good chance Somerset will go the same way later today

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 31 2017, 3:19 PM 

...and Middlesex as well(lets go for the hat-trick). Still could be 3 teams below us and none of them with games in hand.

Not a bad thing, as I can not see us winning more than one of our last 4.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

August 31 2017, 4:51 PM 

Top v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, 5th v 6th & 7th v 8th next week. Could be a season defining week of fixtures.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Poor performance

August 31 2017, 5:38 PM 

I know Jamie Porter is a decent bowler but I doubt he's as good as Somerset made him look in this match.

Can't believe Trescothick has a new deal, not as a player anyway.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

August 31 2017, 6:20 PM 

Well we are one place above relegation with 4 games to play with a nice 23 point cushion with 3 of the teams in contention for the drop to play with one virtually gone, so its one from four possibly five just hope the layoff hasn't stagnated us too much, we cant blow it from her can we.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Looking up!

August 31 2017, 7:08 PM 

I'm starting to lose heart that we may not be able to overhaul Essex now.

Going to need us getting max 24 points from each of the last 4 and Essex being badly beaten and collecting just the odd bowling points maybe.

If that doesn't happen in the matches next week we will need snookers, they will have to do a Northants and lose points for a slow over rate.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 1 2017, 7:26 AM 

We face tough battle for survival as Division 1 team and I hope the team (and coach) are fired up and ready for determined effort. We are likely to be inserted on Tuesday.and our top order will need to be at their best even though Middlesex will be without R-J.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 1 2017, 8:21 AM 

Never say never......

How would you get a snooker in cricket i wonder..?
Perhaps Essex could be accused of financial irregularities in some way..

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 1 2017, 10:18 AM 

It is not beyond imagination that we could finish third! Let us hope the rest from cricket has done our players good. Though I am looking down the table rather than up.

I shall get along to the Oval and hope for a better day than the one I saw at Lords. I shall also sit in a stand where I am not visible from outwith the stadium! May get to Chelmsford too, as I've not been (Ilford, yes; Southend yes: never Chelmsford)

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 1 2017, 10:36 AM 

i am also looking down and worrying, rather than up and hoping. we are entering the last phase of the season and inevitably will be at the mercy of the september weather. i think we dodged a bullet and did not suffer too much with warwickshire and somerset not capitalising on their game in hand, only picking up 3 and 2 points respectively.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 1 2017, 2:48 PM 

Hopefully Essex will have won the title before the last round of matches start. Then they can rest a few players and field 11 reserves against us. Wake me up, I must be dreaming!!!!

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 1 2017, 3:09 PM 

That 32 point swing in the nailbiter down at Taunton looking handy now!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk