<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spirit of cricket

August 29 2017 at 9:41 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

From BBC Sport

It's just not cricket! Club side declares to stop rivals

Pembroke County cricket clubs Carew and Cresselly have fallen out over an early declaration that decided the Division One title.

Carew declared on 18-1 after just 2.3 overs and Cresselly reached that target in two overs to win the game.

However, Cresselly could not gain enough bonus points to go above Carew, who claimed the title by one point.

The declaration was within the laws of the game but it has been questioned whether the decision was in the right spirit.

Seem to remember Brian Rose, the then Somerset Captain doing something similar, in a 1 day competition some time ago.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Spirit of cricket

August 29 2017, 11:01 AM 

Sack the captain.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

August 29 2017, 11:12 AM 

and the coach.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2017, 12:47 PM 

Disgraceful! And if I had been one of the Carew players, who didn't get a bat as a result, I would have been up in arms. Yes, you want your team to win, and to win titles, but it's also recreational cricket and you look forward all week to your game. I would have refused to pay my match subs, that is for sure. And I would have been playing elsewhere next season.

The league should call an EGM and the vote would inevitably go the way of Cresselly winning the title. While they're at it they might look at the rules of the competition. I played in the Manchester Association for a while, where there was a bonus point system, but the winning team got 20 points whatever. No bonus points. You could get up to 8 bonus points in a drawn or lost game, and you got double bonus points in a 'winning draw' situation, so you could get 16 maximum.

It was a really good system, but the league abandoned it because it was 'too complicated'. To be fair, combined with the rain rules, it could all become hellishly complex. A lawyer or a mathematician in the dressing room would beat a good player any day.

Didn't Dermot Reeve declare Warwickshire's innings in a List A game, for a similar reason? And this led to a 'no declaration' rule for one-day county matches. And they deducted points, so this cheat didn't prosper.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

August 29 2017, 1:07 PM 

I must be the only one who thinks this is pretty shrewd. Worked hard all season to get themselves in the position to lock in the title.
If there's a problem it's with the league rules that have allowed it.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

August 29 2017, 1:22 PM 

Agree 100% with Dwight here, the fault is with the league rules, not the team abiding by them.

Also agree that a team which wins should be the maximum possible points, say 30 for a win, or whatever it may be. Never understood why a team, say with a superior bowling attack should be punished for bowling a team out cheaply.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

August 29 2017, 2:46 PM 

They obviously weren't very confident of own ability......

Shameful really

(Login BrickyardBoy)

August 29 2017, 2:55 PM 

Obviously the particular competition rules need to be re-visited. However, the spirit of the game is not only about staying (even marginally) within the rules. It is also about protecting the "good name" of the game. At the end of the day the quality of the moral decision is what determines the quality of the action. Kohlberg and Piaget would have considered this declaration to be pre-conventional. "It meets my needs - and that is all that matters". Now where have I heard that before?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2017, 3:24 PM 

A certain Mr Roy Gilchrist, regarding the Laws of the Game at the time he played, remarked that if you bowl a no ball, it's one extra; if you run 10 yards past the crease and bowl the ball, it's still only one extra. Further, if you throw the ball, as well as run halfway down the pitch, it's still only one extra. And if you throw it at the batsman's head, it's still only one extra, plus a likely telling off.

The Laws of any game must be read in conjunction with common sense and in the context of past practice.

(Login matthefish2002)

August 29 2017, 4:19 PM 

I know the spirit of cricket is hard to define but to me this over steps the mark.

One of the reasons I love cricket is that while winning should be important it shouldn't be win at all costs. I like to think some of that Victorian Gentleman's attitude still exists in cricket. Although I guess there are numerous examples that it didn't even exists in Victorian times.

(Login dpressed)

August 29 2017, 6:13 PM 

DM is right but wrong. It was Brian Rose of Zumerset who declared to ensure that they qualified for the knock out stages of the B & H. Thankfully they were thrown out of the competition & the no delcaration rule in limited over matches was brought in

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

August 29 2017, 7:23 PM 

Okay, dpressed. It's tempting to blame Dermot Reeve for everything underhand in the game, but perhaps not this one...

And not Chris Adams, either!

(Login dpressed)

August 29 2017, 7:50 PM 

It wasn't a 'get at' on my part, just that I wanted to blame the right captain/team as according to the late Peter Roebuck it was a Zumerset team decision rather than Rose's

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Poor show

August 29 2017, 8:41 PM 

Must have been one heck of a trophy on offer for winning the title.

Love to know the full story of whose idea it was and if everyone in the team bought into it.

Suspect there's something gone on between these clubs previously.

If it's as straightforward as it has been reported then the club should be sanctioned.

Thank heavens it happened in Welsh Wales, and not in England.

August 29 2017, 8:57 PM 

Can't believe they won the toss and chose to field! They surely should've batted first to avoid this situation?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

August 29 2017, 9:22 PM 

Ah, BrickyardBoy -- Kohlberg and Piaget. Didn't they open for Transvaal?

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

August 30 2017, 7:23 AM 

Hampshire more likely these days.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

It's just not cricket

September 13 2017, 9:02 PM 

Heard on commentary today that Carew CC and their captain will be up to see the County committee charged with bringing the game into disrepute.

Bet he wishes he could go back and think this through again.

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/15532012.BREAKING__Carew_Cricket_Club_and_skipper_Brian_Hall_charged_with__bringing_the_game_into_disrepute_/

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 13 2017, 10:21 PM 

I like the idea of Pembrokeshire County Cricket Club setting up a sub-committee on this. I'll be at a Society of Authors meeting at the weekend where I hope to see a former county cricketer who's now a playwright. I think I'll point him in the direction of this story. A pity Peter Tinniswood and Alan Plater are no longer with us.

September 14 2017, 11:23 AM 

The league want to look at themselves, if they have an issue, change the rules, don't charge clubs for following the rules the league themselves set!!

If I was the Carew captain I'd walk in with a recording of the last few overs of the Middlesex 2nd innings against us at Lord's last year and ask them to define "spirit of cricket" and "bringing the game into disrepute" and what action we and Middlesex might expect. I'd assume this is an ECB affiliate league they're playing in?

This message has been edited by EastYorkshireTyke on Sep 14, 2017 11:25 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk