<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: 100 average quiz

August 30 2017, 9:22 PM 

Major Poore's new found fame richly deserved.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

100 average quiz - Major Poore

August 30 2017, 10:52 PM 

Great to see mention of Major (later Brig-Gen) R M Poore on the White Rose Forum as, to my knowledge, he has no Yorkshire connection.

Coincidentally, I wrote a biography of Major Poore, the Hampshire and South African batsman, which was published in 1992. As previous posts indicate he was most famous for his incredible season of 1899 when he topped the English averages, and established the English 6th wicket partnership record of 411 with E G Wynyard - which still stands. In one week in June 1899 he was the best swordsman at the Royal Tournament and made the winning hit in the Inter-Regimental polo tournament, and hit three successive centuries for Hampshire. He then left England before the end of the season for South Africa where he was assistant to Kitchener as senior military police officer during the Anglo-Boer War.

The book (hardback, 145 pages, 14 photographs) has not been available for 20 years but I still have two copies which I could sell for £10 including P+P if anyone is interested to knowing more about one of the greatest all-round sportsmen of all time. The review below tells more.

http://www.cricketweb.net/books/the-armys-grace/

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

Major Poore

August 31 2017, 11:30 AM 

Hi EastCoastExile.

I'd like to buy a copy of your book.

Weather permitting I will be attending all days of the matches against Middlesex and Warwickshire so could get it off you then. Or could do it by post if you prefer. Thank you.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

Major Poore

August 31 2017, 8:50 PM 

Many thanks Big Rich. Great that you are interested

I am hoping to get to Headingley next week but work might stop me so I better send it. Please let me know your address by emailing me at

jsjlonsdale@gmail.com

and I will get it in the post and let you know my address to send a cheque if possible.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

August 31 2017, 9:08 PM 

Even for those of us not party to this transaction, this deal represents one of the joys of the WRF.

The thread began with an esoteric statistical query. It ends with one of our number having an out-of-print book on an obscure (but I am sure wonderful!) biography -- his very own work -- sold to another member, to, again I am sure, the great delight of both.

My father-in-law's uncle, Paul Cook (later governor of Northern Nigeria) fought in the Boer War. Wonder if he knew Major Poole? It's a small world, after all.

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

Major Poore

August 31 2017, 9:30 PM 

I am indeed delighted. First sale since the late 1990s.

Big Rich
(Login Newyorkie)

Major Poore

August 31 2017, 10:20 PM 

Thanks very much ECE. I've emailed you.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

You have a bargain.

August 31 2017, 10:24 PM 

Nice new copy too, you will be gratified to know that the cheapest you could have bought a used copy for is £27.75 inc p&p.

Found 4 used copies for sale the most expensive being £60.97.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 20 2017, 10:51 PM 

Sangakkara well on course to be added to this list after his eight century of the season today: he now has 1360 runs in 11 completed innings and seems unlikely to bat again in the second innings of this match, so 40 further runs would assure him of the 100+ average.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk