<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

20 years ago today

August 31 2017 at 6:02 PM

Dpreseed  (Login dpressed)

So today is the day the Dianna died.

To me it means its 20 years since Lancashire did me out of a day of cricket.

It was a gorgeous Saturday morning and I drove down to Old Trafford to see the 4th day of the Roses game, only to be told the rain had got under the covers so the match was a draw. Yorkshire were on top in the match.

Oddly the next day was horrible. It chucked it down. I didn't bother travelling but one group did & left because it was obvious that there wouldn't be may play. Somehow the Lancy ground staff got the outfield fit enough to play a 10 over slog, which of course Yorkshire lost

It might be 20 years since but I still say typical cheating Lancy scum

This message has been edited by dpressed on Aug 31, 2017 6:02 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login dikaiopolis)

Re: 20 years ago today

September 1 2017, 8:46 AM 

We were driving back from a weekend in Scarborough on the Sunday, and I was intending listening to the Sunday League match on the radio, but instead all we got was somber music and news bulletins - still annoyed!

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 1 2017, 10:20 AM 

I was at the Edinburgh festival. But the day that she and Chuck got married, I was at Scarborough watching Yorkshire!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 1 2017, 11:55 AM 

I was playing two to three games of cricket a week in 1997, so I didn't have much time for watching the county game, but the rumours I was picking up - from friends and family in Yorkshire and from people I played alongside who also played in the North Staffs/South Cheshire and Birmingham leagues - were that relations between Yorkshire and Lancashire were at a very low ebb at that time. I can remember a big fuss about Stuart Fletcher not walking in one match, but I don't recall if that was before or after the "covers" indicdent. I'd be grateful if anyone can give an account of how things went so sour.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 1 2017, 12:53 PM 

Wasn't it to do with henry bollingbroke deposing Richard the second and usurping the mortimers?

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 1 2017, 1:56 PM 

Dikalopolis, interested to hear you're still annoyed!

The head of BBC1 lived across the road from me at the time. He told me later that week that he had had 150,000 complaints about too much coverage of Diana's death/sombre music etc, and 220,000 complaints about not having enough coverage and not enough respect. "So," he said, "I think we got it about right."

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

On this day

September 1 2017, 2:46 PM 

On this day 1939 (friday) --- Hedley Verity took 7-9 to help Yorkshire clinch the 1939 CC. It would be Verity`s last day on a cricket field as the summer ended and World war 2 began. Verity would be wounded in battle in 1943 and die a few days later.

On this day 1959 (tuesday) --- Yorkshire won the title after Sussex set them the supposedly impossible target of 215 runs in 105 minutes. Brian Bolus hit the winning runs at 4.23pm to secure victory by 5 wickets with only 7 mins to spare.

1st September was a good day for Yorkshire in 1939 & 1959.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 1, 2017 2:54 PM

(Login dpressed)

September 1 2017, 7:47 PM 

The 'Stuart Fletcher' incident happened 10 years earlier, in 1987. Yorkshire were trying to save a match at Old Trafford. A young Richard Blakey was batting but kept losing partners. When Stuart Fletcher joined him with over an hour (at that time 20 overs) to go it looked like Yorkshire were beaten. Somehow the pair managed to bat the times/overs out and we got a draw. There was 'an incident's when 'Flat Jack' Simmons claimed to have had Fletcher caught (I think it was behind, but it could have been at slip). The umpire said 'not out' and Fletcher of course didn't walk. Simmons got rather upset over the incident. Some of the Lancy 'faithful' were rather unhappy at the end.

Simmons got his knuckles wrapped although the fact that his mother had recently died was taken into account.

That wouldn't have been good but it gets better. Notts won the Championship with 292 points. Lancashire were 2nd on 288 points. If Lanhcs had beaten us they would have been Champions.

Ps of course I was there!!!

This message has been edited by dpressed on Sep 1, 2017 7:53 PM

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 1 2017, 10:01 PM 

Agree with Dpressed version of the Simmons / Fletcher although a key point is missing which was very significant in the subsequent bad feeling. Simmons called Fletcher a 'cheat' which Yorkshire thought unfair. Whether he hit it nor not, a very strong word to use.

Another bad delay at Old Trafford - Saturday of our championship game in 1993. Damp patch in front of the pavilion. Dickie at his worst. People might remember it, I think it was Michael Vaughans debut.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 1, 2017 10:24 PM

Leg Glance
(Login legglance)

September 1 2017, 11:12 PM 

I was also there for that incident and there was a lot of disgruntlement, particularly from the members in the pavilion who obviously had a perfect view being side on to the wicket in those days.

If I remember rightly the game was televised, possibly by Granada or Yorkshire TV and, apparently, the camera focused in on me holding our young son in my arms.

Pre mobile days but when I returned home there were loads of messages from work colleagues who had seem me on TV and wanted to know how I'd managed to attend on a work day.They realsied the error of their ways wen I asked them how they had been watching on a work day.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 2 2017, 9:44 AM 

That day 20 years ago, I played at Stretford CC, not a million miles from Old Trafford. Stretford's pitch covering was around club average, and we started a bit late, but we got a good game in on a lively rain-freshened surface.

A few days later I was at Headingley and we were talking about a piece in the Cricketer (I think), or possibly in a newspaper, a report about the MCC sending some practice nets to Corfu CC. The locals had no idea what they were so they gave them to fishermen.

"If they'd sent them to Old Trafford they would have covered the pitch with them," said one bloke, which got a heartfelt laugh all round.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

On this day

September 2 2017, 2:22 PM 

Yes, Stu, regarding the 1959 match in which Yorkshire secured the County Championship- as you say, we got 215 for 5 in 105 minutes.Just over 28 overs, in fact. That equates to just under 8 per over.Absolutely unheard of in those days, in the County Championship. Not bad for these days either. Imagine, if we could do that to Middlesex.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk