<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

September 1 2017 at 4:30 PM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Well, after an absurd one-month County Championship hiatus the Tykes are back in the business of trying to save the season. Technically, Yorkshire could finish as high as third (2nd looks a stretch) or as low as 7th - but this match, and the three that follow, are all about warding off the humiliation and disaster of demotion. Obviously beating Middlesex would go a long way to ensuring our safety.

So, what will our team look like? Will Sids and Ballance be available? Do we need to re-jig our fragile batting lineup? So many questions, but only one answer: we need a win!
""

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Sep 1, 2017 4:50 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Egham Tyke
(Login Davetyke)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

September 1 2017, 4:31 PM 

Is this in case we don't like the other pre-match thread Alex ? happy.gif

Nope, but I'm posting from a local shopping center with wonky WIFI service.

Back in days of dial-up, I once posted the same message six times...and it took half an hour to delete five of them. Someone posted the same comment in all six. He must have been from Cornwall. LOL!

Alex

This message has been edited by AlexRoberts on Sep 1, 2017 4:47 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesesx at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

September 1 2017, 4:47 PM 

Assuming Gary has got over his finger injury, I would go with

Lees, Lyth, Leaning, Marsh, Ballance, Rashid, Bresnan, Hodd, Plunkett, Coad & Siddy.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 1 2017, 10:34 PM 

So that would be Marsh and Ballance in for Brook and Kohler-Cadmore; and Plunkett preferred to Brooks and Patterson (who didn't play at Scarborough).

Tough judgement calls for Moxon, Gale, Ballance and whoever makes these decisions. Alex Lees's place must be in jeopardy, and who will bat at 3? I would make the Aussie earn his corn there, rather than Leaning, who did well lower down, or Ballance. Sidebottom didn't look 50% fit at Scarborough, and has Fisher disappeared from the face of the earth?

Most of the bowlers (not Patto or Fisher) played for the 2s at Harrogate. Reports suggested they were none too impressive, even against 2nd team opposition.

Easy for us. We just turn up and criticise when it all goes tits up! We need to win this, or at least get a high bonus point draw, or Somerset will be breathing down our necks. Win it, and Middlesex become part of the relegation cushion under us.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 1 2017, 11:10 PM 

Middlesex have firmly got the Indian sign over us so we might as well just go for broke. For me we can't pick Brooks and Sid it's got to be one or the other. Brooks seems to be seriously struggling for form like lees so I'd be inclined to leave them both out.

I'd go with

Lyth
TKC - can't have 4 left handers helping TRJ and co
Both played well in t20 and a flashy 30 is better than a painstaking 5
Marsh
Ballance - if unavailable swap for lees
Leaning
Bresnan
Hodd
Rashid
Plunkett
Coad
Sidebottom - if not available swap for Willey

I think we have to try and be positive. The top order batsmen can't just occupy time they have to take the attack to Middlesex

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 1 2017, 11:48 PM 

....and get to 90 for 6 at lunch?

No no no

Happy to bat all day to get to 250-2

The openers job is to take time out of the game

If u wanna see a circus i understand there's a good one in Birmingham this weekend

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 2 2017, 12:48 AM 

Can you please name me the last time we were 250-2 in a championship game??

My going for broke decision is dropping Brooks n lees. If them two play and fail again it's goodnight Vienna. I think we have to play positively and lees getting a single figure score won't help the cause. I hope I am proved wrong, I would love nothing more than lees to make a score. But after a month of no first class cricket and the disgraceful performances against Essex, Somerset and Middlesex still fresh in my mind your asking for a miracle.

Loiner
(Login TheLoiner)

September 2 2017, 7:37 AM 

Unless we've miraculously found form in the month off we're in big trouble. If Somerset beat Warks like I expect we could be on the east down because I can't see us winning any of the last 4

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 2 2017, 8:54 AM 

The only saving grace for some is that the debacle v Essex at Scarborough is so long ago that the management may have forgotten how bad the batsmen were. Lyth and Leaning exempted.

But the bowling lacked potency too and this is the area we have to get right so we have a balanced attack who can take 20 wickets.

Part of the problem has been created by the emergence of Coad which is a positive but then impacts on the Patterson selection. For me it's Brooks and Sidebottom sadly who are out of form, recovering from injury and in decline. But can we pick both Patto and Coad in the same team ?

If you open with Coad then I think you can and I'd be tempted to also pick Plunkett and Bresnan but then one of them needs the new ball too.

Sometimes our pace attack picks itself and on other occasions we have injuries and we scrape around to get four seamers. Now we have them all fit but little idea as to who the ones likely of taking wickets are.

So I'd go for

Lyth
Kohler Cadmore
Marsh
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Rashid
Hodd
Plunkett
Patterson
Coad

Brook and Lees have not done anything since Scarborough to earn retaining a spot. Not their fault entirely as the daft scheduling as much to blame. But at least TKC has biffed it around in t20 to keep his eye in and got a few runs to boost confidence

(Login Tyke1950)

September 2 2017, 12:02 PM 

Willey instead of Patterson.
Lees was so awful at Scarborough I'd be worried about selecting him next week.
Sidebottom and Brooks should not play. (Sidebottom might be able to enjoy the final lap of his Sarah Bernhardt farewell tour in the last home match, if we're safe from relegation by then.)

For me: Lyth, Cohler-Cadmore, Marsh, Ballance, Leaning, Bresnan, Rashid, Hodd, Willey, Plunkett, Coad.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 2 2017, 3:32 PM 

I can't believe the 'over the hill' view of Ryan. Look at his figures this season, even with a poor - by his standards - return against Essex, and he's still an automatic choice.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Re: Championship | Yorks v Middx at Headingley (Pre-match Thread)

September 2 2017, 3:47 PM 

Assuming we beat our pitiful 16 points in the last 4 Championship matches, we need to win as many games as Somerset to be safe (assuming Warks don't win 3 which looks v unlikely) even 4 draws with good bonus points could be good enough if Som only win 1.

The only positive about the last month is that Lees has scored a double and a big hundred for the seconds. For this reason, and the fact that someone who has three doubles in the last eight months can't be that bad, I'm sure he will open on Tuesday, especially with no Toblerone-Jones playing. I'm normally a glass half empty person but I have a feeling that at least two of our batsmen will fire in this match. Gary Ballance must know that 4 games like he had early season will get him on the plane to Australia - just don't bat at 3 Gary! I'd have Marsh at 3 and let him prove his worth.

Having seen five first team pace bowlers look pretty toothless at Harrogate this week for the seconds I'm more worried as to where 20 wickets are coming from.

No doubt by Friday I'll be proved totally wrong.

(Login swfctyke)

September 2 2017, 5:39 PM 

I wouldn't back us to win a raffle at the moment, but I'm hoping the break has done us good.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

bowlers

September 2 2017, 6:14 PM 

I cant believe idle mans comments about sidebottem over the hill past his best , but a great servant to cricket he would struggle to get into any side if you want to get relegated play him in every game we have left .

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 2 2017, 6:45 PM 

As I said, look at the scorecards. We've won three games this season. He bowled crucial spells in two of them. What's your evidence that he's over the hill?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 2 2017, 6:49 PM 

.......the last game v Essex with my own eyes. Sadly

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Lot depends on Ballance

September 2 2017, 6:55 PM 

I'm going to hold off picking my 11 until we get a squad.

It has been a while and some of the players who have impressed, or not, may well now be in, or out, of form.

If Ballance is fit and in the squad then I'll be a bit more confident.

I think with the 10.30 start, end of season pitches and possible rain delays the bowlers will tend to get a little bit of help at this time of year.

Bearing that in mind and how important batting points may turn out to be I would try to squeeze an extra batting option in if possible.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 2 2017, 7:03 PM 

The only team that will get any benefit from the 10.30 start will be Middlesex, as we will be put in.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 2 2017, 7:22 PM 

Come on 3U, one game???? I think Ryan, unsurprisingly, is a little less dangerous this year, but he's still a possible matchwinner. We wouldn't have beaten Lancashire or Somerset without him.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 2 2017, 7:32 PM 

Room Sidebottom, Plunkett and Willey if we ditch Leaning. Struggling to believe he adds more expected value to the side in current form.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk