Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 3, 2017 10:02 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login Tyke1950)

Re: Headingley Heroes

September 2 2017, 12:06 PM 

How about 'A group of well paid professional cricketers who occasionally play at Headingley'?

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 2 2017, 12:48 PM 

Nice try by Steve D, to try and convince the ECB re a possible name, but it will end up as Leeds, like the other teams that will all be cities or area names, or we will not get a franchise at all.

It is also possible that 8 or 9 of the team will never have played at Headingley before or live 100`s of miles away..

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 2, 2017 2:01 PM

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

September 2 2017, 6:31 PM 

Kirkstall Colosuss maybe?

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 2 2017, 6:34 PM 

The more interesting part of this article is the comments about player retention and the club not being afraid to make changes moving forward :-http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshire/15509903.Could___39_Headingley_Heroes__39__compete_in_new_city_based_T20_competition/?ref=mac

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 3 2017, 1:15 PM 

I thought they might go down the 'Headingley' road, I think it is the only viable option given that Yorkshire is not on the table.

Agree with the above post, definitely sounds like Denison appreciates some changes will be needed and the club is prepared to make them; he speaks very sensibly in my opinion.

Tyke 1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 3 2017, 1:54 PM 

As I have no intention of attending any of these matches I suppose I ought to keep my mouth shut.
But....
This team will bear little resemblance to any group of players we currently follow. The name of the team is the least significant issue in the existential threat to the County structure posed by this initiative.
I find it quite amusing that the Club management, in its efforts to avoid offending anyone from Sheffield or Bradford or York or wherever, propose that instead of calling the team Leeds they should, instead, propose calling it by the name of a suburb of Leeds!

Incidentally, has the Club given up publicising Yorkshire? Immediately prior to the Test Match and during it, the club' s Tweets, Facebook contributions and even its own website were given over almost exclusively to the Test Match. Since then, there has been little other than self congratulation about the Tes Match. When, I wonder, will the publicity organs of YCCC begin discussing YCCC again?

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 3 2017, 6:01 PM 

I wonder if other counties' members are so concerned about being named after the largest city in the county?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 3 2017, 7:03 PM 

"Nice try by Steve D, to try and convince the ECB re a possible name, but it will end up as Leeds, like the other teams that will all be cities or area names, or we will not get a franchise at all."

Not necessarily Stu - the Leeds Rugby Union and Netball based sides recently rebranded to Yorkshire in an attempt to widen the fanbase.

As someone who opposes City Based T20, I quite like the idea of a Headingley name. Rightly so about not going anywhere near Leeds for a name. Leeds is a toxic name in sport and forever associated with that odious football team.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2017, 7:12 PM 

I also would prefer Headingley to Leeds, but "Headingley Heroes" seems a bit strange, when it is likely the team will consist of 11 players who have never played at Headingley before.

It is going to be a draft system with 4 overseas players per team. We could end up with the team playing at Headingley having NO Yorkshire players in it, if the Yorkshire players are snapped up by other teams.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Inventing a problem

September 3 2017, 7:46 PM 

I don't see why there is a need to transfer the existing petty local rivalries, that continue to hold back the regions, into this new venture.

The idea is for a city based competition, if the team is based in Leeds then surely Leeds should be in the name.

There's more than enough people in the Leeds area to fill the stadium if they get the marketing right.

The majority of people who don't live in the 8 host cities can support who they like.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 3 2017, 8:16 PM 

Maybe can have them coming out to marching on together too, be nowhere near it if the team is called Leeds anything

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2017, 9:08 PM 

The teams will be called whatever the Indian TV companies want them to be.

The fight to stop this is lost. It'll be shaped however the TV want so that fight is also lost. Our fight is now to save the county game. Dennison etc should be putting their energy into that. I'd suggest they start with arguing that we return the domestic game to a balanced 16 game first class season, 16 mainly Friday night T20s and a meaningful 50 over comp with a show piece Lords final. And we should be lobbying Dennison and his like hard to do this.

The name of the Leeds based T20 is an irrelevance to the Chair and CEO of YORKSHIRE county cricket club.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 3 2017, 9:15 PM 

Never mind the names of the teams, I said jokingly a few months back maybe they should call the competition something other than cricket, only to be told that had been considered.

As for the name, it doesn't matter to me which bit of Yorkshire geography gets recognised. But as my understanding is the team may only have a minority of Yorkshire players in it, and that some established Yorkshire players will be playing elsewhere, I shan't pay the whole business any significant attention at all.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 3 2017, 9:16 PM 

Only problem I see is sid the players are dead set against friday nights for 20/20 and many of the scheduling follows on from that. Only course is of course to offer them more cash. Question is of course where do we get that money from?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 3 2017, 9:25 PM 

Blast has been superb in a block format this season.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 3 2017, 9:35 PM 

Dwight: The players have to much of a say, they deserve a 'vote' but not a veto. The season works better with it as a Friday night and the players should live with that. The gap between international cricket + franchise cricket and the remains of the county game is so great and growing wider, that the counties have to start standing up for themselves. The county game will be healthier under my schedule than the current direction of travel.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 3, 2017 9:56 PM

(Login Tyke1950)

September 3 2017, 9:39 PM 

Well said Sid.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 3 2017, 9:58 PM 

You mean the 4 day game will be healthier under your schedule?

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 3 2017, 10:06 PM 

Steve Dennison has reported T20 Blast crowds have gone up by 7800 this year (up 14%) and an aggregate total of 65,000. Take away the Roses T20 which sells out anyway, the other T20 matches are seeing an extra 1,300 to the gates per game.

Block cricket works because it allows players opportunity to hone their skills in each format and from a Yorkshire perspective the England white ball bowlers were available for the entire T20 Blast. I'm hoping Yorkshire's top order batsmen have worked on their red ball game in the two weeks off and ensure Division 1 status.

Reducing the County Championship to a 14 game season was a necessary evil. Only way a 16 game CC season can be supported is if two games were played in Dubai during March, or the 50 over group stage matches but the one day competition provides vital income to non test counties.

This message has been edited by Pyrahtechnics on Sep 3, 2017 10:10 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk