<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

It gets worse

September 4 2017 at 9:52 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Not only are we without Lyth for tomorrow, Marsh misses our last two games. We have had no luck at all this season with our overseas players. We are doomed!!

From todays "Press"

"......Unfortunately, Marsh will only play this game and at Surrey next week before returning to Perth ahead of Western Australia’s domestic campaign.
That is earlier than originally planned, and it is understood Yorkshire are assessing their options regarding an overseas replacement......."

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 4, 2017 10:14 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lew
(Login Lewis116)

Re: It gets worse

September 4 2017, 11:02 AM 

I have to be honest, the "hit and miss" and constant changing of our overseas players makes a mockery of the pride in playing for the shirt.

Not s big Kolpak lover but would much prefer finding a Kolpak who will be available throughout the season.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 4 2017, 11:14 AM 

Our overseas players - or maybe it is everyone's - seem to be terminally unreliable. Agree that a Kolpak who can commit to the team would be a much better bet - or better yet, stick with our home-grown players. In recent seasons we could hardly have done worse.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 4 2017, 11:19 AM 

Agree, going forward a kolpack is now becoming a much better option than an overseas player. Someone like Chanderpaul, Sangakkara or Abbott. Anyone who has retired from International cricket. They are available ALL season in ALL formats. That is who we need to be looking for next season

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 4 2017, 11:30 AM 

I'm not sure I can face going to this match. I fully expect four days of weather havoc anyway, with sporadic downpours of frogs, locusts and three-toed sloths. That's the way our season is going.
I can't see a victory, but if we do get any play before the end of term we just need one player to stand up and be a hero with bat or ball to give us some hope for the future.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 4 2017, 11:48 AM 

With the weather forecast, the lack of form of our team, on the back of 4 stuffings on the bounce, the possible absence of Lyth and Middlesex`s great recent record against us, I agree, it is not a match I am really looking forward to. I fear a stuffing, or at best a rained off draw.

Throw in the early September start with damp misty conditions, and the stupid "no toss" rule (which really needs ditching at the end of this season, as it gives to much advantage to the "away" team), I would not be surprised (if we play) for us to be 5 down by 12.30 tomorrow.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 4, 2017 11:48 AM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 4 2017, 12:14 PM 

Well that would show some improvement from our position at the same time on our last four day match....

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 4 2017, 12:18 PM 

You can fully understand that the national team's requirements will always trump whatever might have been agreed with a domestic side. But a domestic team trumping what has been agreed with another domestic team? I find that hard to accept. It also seems incredible that Western Australia weren't able to be clear about when Marsh was needed back in Australia at the time he was signed.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 4 2017, 12:22 PM 

Same thing happened last year . Lehmann was called back to a training camp rather than being allowed to play at Lords .

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 4 2017, 12:42 PM 

It did indeed. I just find it odd that this information is not known when the player is signed. We might still sign him but at least we know what we are getting.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

In other news...

September 4 2017, 1:34 PM 

Ray and Alan the rope men are stepping down due to the new rugby stand getting done

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 4 2017, 1:42 PM 

Can't our players plan their wives' child birth for the sixth months of the year when there's no cricket?!

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 4 2017, 1:47 PM 

Kevin: I understand Ray and Alan are required for the final two games and the football stand end, including the balcony, will operate as normal.

We should mark its passing in some way.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 4 2017, 2:47 PM 

I'm not sure how the Yorkshire heirarchy can expect Australian players to be available for a full County Criket season when the Australian domestic season has always started in the second half of September, clearly lessons have not been learned with Jake Lehmann's early departure from last season.

For an overseas player, Kane Williamson has just finished playing CPL cricket for the Barbados Tridents so get him on board for the remaining County Championship games. New Zealand's domestic season doesn't begin until late October and the next New Zealand international is late November.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 4 2017, 2:55 PM 

Got a bit confused skim reading this. Initially got the impression Ray and Alan were not going to be available for rope duties because they were required in Australia.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 4 2017, 3:11 PM 

Agree Pyrahtechnics. We seem to be obsessed with Aussie players and we have the same problem every time with them. Maxwell, Finch, Head, Lehmann, Hanscombe, Marsh, and probably others I have forgotten about. All called away at somepoint or other for training camps or tours. Keep away from the Aussies in future.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 4 2017, 3:15 PM 

and that darren lehmann was useless, never got called back once.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 4 2017, 3:29 PM 

Bevan wasnt bad either.......

I don't think its the fault of Australians - just the sheer volume of cricket being played these days...

(Login dpressed)

September 4 2017, 6:06 PM 

Oh yes Lehmann got called back in 2002. Some of us were happy as it meant that Richard Blakey could take over as captain. He managed to win a Championship match, at L*nc*shire AND won the C&G cup

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 4 2017, 8:45 PM 

I have argued against Kolpaks, but one reliable one, available all season, would suit me INSTEAD of an overseas player.

Does anyone know? Are Kolpaks generally signed for just one season, or is it usually a two or three year contract?

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk