<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

All formats

September 4 2017, 9:25 PM 

We need a batsman and I don't know if there are any about that we could recruit.

With the stop start nature of the season now it would need to be someone who could play in all formats or they would spend half the season doing not much.

It may well be better value to bring players in as we do now.

We do seem fixated with Australian players it's true. That may work next season if we can get a good one trying to get some experience playing in England prior to the 2019 Ashes tour.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Re: It gets worse

September 5 2017, 7:02 AM 

Jake (sorry, not Darren) Lehmann looked ok last season and is unlikely to be called up by Australia for the moment .
But i would go for Pujara if available the whole season.

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 5, 2017 1:33 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 8:19 AM 

Darren?!

Mind you I think he could still do better than some of our top order although his son Jake may do better

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 5 2017, 9:42 AM 

We've got Darren lined up as new fitness, diet and lifestyle coach when he's finished with Australia I believe.

JH
(Login harg49)

September 5 2017, 12:10 PM 

To answer Dave Mortons point on the length of a Kolpak contract, the answer is that it very much depends on the player. There are certainly instances where one seasons contracts been handed out but the better more established Kolpaks understandably are looking for more security and a longer contract. I believe both Kyle Abbott at Hampshire and Harmer at Essex got 3 year contracts and so far have been very successful, the counties have got value from these signings. So it is a judgement call to get the right player both in character and performance, but isn't that exactly the same call as when you employ an overseas pro.
Re the overseas pro Pujara would be excellent he is world class, but is never going to be available for a full season ,very much a pillar in their test batting and next season for instance India have 5 tests in the UK in the 2nd half of the year.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk