<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Justgrazing
(Login Justgrazing)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Day One)

September 5 2017, 5:45 PM 

It does seem that our ground staff are less competent than those of other grounds and certainly less proactive when clearing up after rain.
Like many other aspects of Headingley, we seem to have invested in another white elephant with out super Doppler new drainage system.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 5 2017, 5:57 PM 

I went.
I was very surprised when play was abandoned. It had been dry for some time. The afternoon was windy, warm and occasionally sunny.

I feared the worst upon arrival. Any Tom, Dick or Harry could have walked in - there was no attendance at the ground opposite the Club Offices. Predictably the long room bar was open and doing decent trade. Call me a cynic, but I'm grumpy enough to believe that there was no intention to play from the word go; however the chance of a bit of trade at the bar was too tempting to miss.

Like others, I feel pretty sure that at least a couple of hours play would have been possible, particularly bearing in mind the supreme efficiency of our much vaunted drainage system.

Grrrr!!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Umpires

September 5 2017, 6:14 PM 

Old Trafford is a similar Test ground and play was called off much earlier than at Headingley.

At the end of the day it's the umpires who make the decisions.

The club have pay staff, employ security etc and they won't have made enough to cover costs on a day like today so a bit of money over the bar won't go amiss.

Anyway there's quite a number of members who are quite happy to spend all day in the long room, whatever the weather.

(Login Sideass)

September 5 2017, 6:27 PM 

One of the most enjoyable days of the season. Nice to see that not one of our batsmen failed.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 5 2017, 6:42 PM 

I take all your points Geoff; they're fairly made. However, I observed no men in dayglo yellow at either the entry to the ground or at the East Stand entrance. There was no announcer that I heard. This was a ghost ground today. An excellent day to plant a lethal device!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No one to blow up.

September 5 2017, 8:06 PM 

If nobody was on the gate then it must have been called off before you arrived.

The ground is actually wide open most days for people to use the Carnegie cafe and Rugby club shop.

Zero hours contracted security staff must have been sent home, but that's another story.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 5 2017, 9:44 PM 

It did rain very heavily over night in North Leeds (there was a bloody enormous puddle blocking the pavement and half the road near Horsforth this morning, which hadn't totally subsided by 6.30pm) but I too was surprised that our drainage wasn't good enough to allow any play at all. Now had this happened on a Test match day last week...

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk