(Login sooty-yorkie1)

Re: Rumour....

September 5 2017, 3:56 PM 

You've some inside knowledge steve c?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 3:57 PM 

Cheers Kenny, good example of not getting too excited by overall stats then.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 5 2017, 3:59 PM 

Ah well - the latest signing (that will be revealed officially tomorrow morning) is even more surprising and a huge shot in the dark....

Is this anything to do with the Joe Clarke rumours ? Just asking wink.gif

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 4:11 PM 

Don't be shy Steve..

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 5 2017, 4:15 PM 

Presumably this the overseas player for our last two games..

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 5 2017, 4:15 PM 

I suppose Mitchell being a top order batsman and a handy batsman in all formats outweighs the age argument. Mitchell's Division 1 average might be early 30s, but playing for a "yo-yo" side he will have faced quality bowling throughout and lesser opportunity to face weaker bowling to inflate his average.

I would like to see Yorkshire target a domestic or kolpak wicketkeeper-batsman to bolster the top six. If anything Yorkshire to make a signal of intent and go after Ben Duckett, even if it means paying Northants compensation, who will offer more value than an overseas signing.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2017, 4:32 PM 

There aren't too many overseas players who's christian name ends with two g's...

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 4:36 PM 

Well if he plays as well as last week we will have him!

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 5 2017, 4:46 PM 

Little help for those of us slow on the uptake?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 4:49 PM 

Kraigg Brathwaite i assume!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

One rumour at a time.

September 5 2017, 5:26 PM 

On the question of Mitchell, after giving it some consideration I'm happy with that.

I think he's the kind of old pro that we need, especially important for the next couple of seasons if Gary Ballance gets back into the England reckoning.

We have stacks of talent coming through but we seem woefully short of leaders.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Rumour

September 5 2017, 5:39 PM 

I recall that the last time we signed a 'good solid pro' batsman from another county, it was Richard Harden. He was a huge disappointment, despite having a batting record not dissimilar to Mitchell's.
Just because for the first time in five years we are not in the hunt for a trophy, is no reason to stop trusting our own players. Almost without exception they have shown considerable ability in the recent past and should be trusted to do so again.
Last season three counties went into the last day of the last match with the possibility of the championship. At the moment all those three are in the bottom half of the table. I don't see Middlesex and Somerset overhauling their squads because of perceived failures. Trust our playing and coaching staff.
I do object to uninformed criticism of 18 year old Harry Brook. I doubt whether most of his critics have seen him play more than twice. Had they done so, they would recognize his undoubted potential.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 5:48 PM 

I don't think anyone has questioned Brook's potential. But on this seasons evidence, he isn't first team ready, yet.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 5 2017, 6:01 PM 

I don't know whether there's any mileage at all in any of this, but if so, I'm in Jolly D's camp.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2017, 6:12 PM 

That ll be the three of us in that particular tent then.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 5 2017, 6:25 PM 

I don't think we're overhauling the player squad by possibly signing one player?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

No intent

September 5 2017, 6:27 PM 

I'd love to be in your tent but you can't hide from reality.

I don't expect Yorkshire to win everything, or even anything, but I do expect them to make a damn good fist of trying.

Unlike many others I'm quite pleased with the progress in white ball cricket but in the CC they appear to be just going through the motions.

I do expect us to avoid relegation, but only because Somerset and especially Warwickshire have been so dire and an injury has given us our Captain, and so far only reliable player, back.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 5 2017, 6:45 PM 

Cheers DS.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 7:17 PM 

I wondered when Harden would crop up as a reminder!

But yes we have since then tended to rely on our academy production line for batsmen supplemented by overseas players. Whilst I admire and respect JollyDs views on the young talent and potential sadly I don't think some are ready and Lees and TKC and Leaning are slightly different and more advanced in years. Brooks time will come I am sure but it's not yet.

I'm less convinced by Lees and Leaning who have gone backwards. Are they another Sayers or Wood who disappear or a Lyth who can come back stronger after a bad year?

And the danger with signing other counties young players is that they go off to England soon enough. Mitchell won't be.

Fair comparison with Somerset and Middlesex too. Somerset have struggled with their batting dropping by skipper Abell and losing youngster Hose to the golden roads of edgbaston. Middlesex have seen Gubbins lose form too.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 5 2017, 10:49 PM 

All that Richard Harden had to recommend him at the time of Yorkshire signing him was one good recent performance - against Yorkshire. Otherwise he was definitely in decline.
The trouble with signing an opener at the moment is that a run of good scores could put almost anyone on the England radar. If Mitchell were to come to Yorkshire and be successful, then he could become another Stoneman and make a late entry into the England set-up. My hunch is that that won't happen, but I'm not sure if that's exactly a recommendation or not.
Overall I think Mitchell is a serious and determined character. The possibility that he could be a sort of batting version of Jack Brooks - ie making the same sort of impact - isn't wholly to be ruled out, but these things are gambles.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk