<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rumour....

September 5 2017 at 10:55 AM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

.....going around facebook, we have signed Daryl Mitchell for next seson. Nothing on the OS yet!!.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Rumour....

September 5 2017, 11:08 AM 

He has another 3 years left on his contract at Worcester, would be a good signing but I have my doubts.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 11:28 AM 

But think he fell out with them over how he lost the captaincy last season.

Good option as not on international scene but solid county pro who would strengthen top order.

Wonder if Rhodes will let him leave earlier....

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 5 2017, 12:18 PM 

Surely not. Just looked him up thinking he was over 40, but in fact he's 33. This is emphatically not a good long-term move unless he has coaching qualities we don't know about.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 5 2017, 12:52 PM 

This is all about expectations v what we can get. He is more than a "good pro", given that his career average is just under 40 in first class cricket. Surely he is as good as signing a kolpak on a two or three year contract?

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 5 2017, 1:13 PM 

I think Mitchell would be an excellent signing. He's a right handed top order batsman who averages over 39 with a 10 year career so he knows his limitations and what he can and can't do. If anybody thinks he's a bad move you shouldn't be watching cricket. I still take the rumour with a pinch of salt but surely there's no smoke without fire. He's a far better option than rotating 3 aussies through the season and for me he's the type of player we should be looking at.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2017, 2:30 PM 

I think its a bad move. Perhaps i shouldnt be watching cricket...
I'd rather persevere with Lees and Leaning than bring in a journeyman.
What message does it send to Harry Brook if we bring in a solid pro from another county that blocks his path to the first team..

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 2:34 PM 

That he needs to do better than he has to date?

Not sure id class Mitchell as a journeyman either.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 2:40 PM 

Brook has looked a mile away from being ready for the 1st team. Despite the daft outcry on here when he got called up to the England U19s.

Mitchell would be a decent stop gap for 2-3 years.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 5 2017, 2:44 PM 

Frankly if Mitchell managed to achieve career average he would be doing better than our recent overseas players have managed! I think I would live with that sort of performance level. If we define journeyman as averaging 40, then Lyth, Lees et al all fall into that definition presumably?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 5 2017, 2:48 PM 

I agree with Frank, we'd be signing a player who knows his game inside out. Could be a solid vice captain for Ballance. As for his age, look at Shiv Chanderpaul at 43!

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2017, 2:49 PM 

Yes - but they're OUR journeymen....
If we're bringing in players from other counties they should be better than we can produce ourselves.
Otherwise we just end up with a team of anonymous individuals with no real connection to our team.
I'd rather watch our side languishing in the second division than see us become another Hampshire..

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 5 2017, 2:50 PM 

Mitchell's far better than a journeyman, but he's had a few bad dips in form in recent seasons, so there would be some risk involved - though probably no more than with Stoneman going to Surrey.
He had lots of authority at Worcester as captain, as he tended to lead from the front, but he never struck me as very astute tactically.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 5 2017, 2:52 PM 

Clearly the second eleven lads aren't ready yet Steve nothing wrong with signing a stop gap as Dwight says.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 5 2017, 2:55 PM 

Need to be careful not to overrate him though. *Averaging 40 in Division 2 might only equate to low to mid 30s in Division 1. Which would make a journeyman tag fair.

*Not checked what he averages for each divsion!

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 5 2017, 2:58 PM 

A good signing a solid pro, tbh we should have signed someone like last year.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 5 2017, 3:25 PM 

I think some people need a dose of reality and a rather large one at that. We are a team with serious problems in our top order 1,2,3 and have had issues for the best part of two years. Some of you would rather throw a young lad in at the deep end in arguably the most crucial position in the batting order (Number 3) than have an experienced, solid and dependable batsmen in there. This will not help brook long term, he should move down the order and gain his experience against an old ball and tiring attacks. Having somebody like Mitchell will help steady the ship and build a solid platform for the middle order to hopefully thrive. You need a blend of experience and youth.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 5 2017, 3:38 PM 

"What message does it send to Harry Brook if we bring in a solid pro from another county that blocks his path to the first team."

Probably that at 18 years of years he, like 99% of cricketers is still a couple of years away, at least, from being a county regular.
Similar to Matthew Fisher, just because he made his debut at a very young age it doesn't mean he'll be a regular from that day on.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 5 2017, 3:49 PM 

Ah well - the latest signing (that will be revealed officially tomorrow morning) is even more surprising and a huge shot in the dark....

(Login KennyShovel)

September 5 2017, 3:53 PM 

To answer the question about Mitchell's record in div one:

in 64 games he's scored 3443 runs @ 31.88, s/r 39.39

similar stats to Jack Leaning:

41 games, 1892 runs @ 32.62, s/r 43.9

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk