<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Saltburn Sharks and Heavy Woollen pies

September 5 2017 at 12:20 PM
Cricket Yorkshire  (Login cricketyorkshire)

For those who haven't visited the CY website in a while, a quick update on a couple of articles that couldn't be more different:

A look at Saltburn Sharks in the ECB U19 T20 and how the Seasiders have retained (published today)
http://cricketyorkshire.com/saltburn-sharks/

Heavy Woollen Cup Final (Woodlands vs Hoylandswaine from Hanging Heaton)
http://cricketyorkshire.com/heavy-woollen-cup/

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Saltburn Sharks and Heavy Woollen pies

September 5 2017, 1:44 PM 

Thanks and well done Saltburn which was my Dads first club a long time ago.

Lovely ground and I recall their clubhouse bar used to make it into the good pub guide

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 1:49 PM 

Ignore as duplicated

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 5, 2017 1:50 PM

Saltburn senior
(Login Saltburnsenior)

Re :Saltburn Sharks and Heavy Woollen pies

September 5 2017, 2:02 PM 

A big thank you to John Fuller for the article on the Saltburn Sharks - located in an area of Yorkshire which is often overlooked in a cricketing context.
The success of the Under 19s at the club this season has been well deserved and the squad contains some very competent young cricketers, suggesting a promising period ahead for Saltburn CC.
Third Ump.- I may have met your Dad - I played for Saltburn from 1981 until 1993. Ken Fawcett.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 2:33 PM 

Sadly he pre dates you by about thirty years although I'm likely to have played against you when I was at guisborough as a junior from 1976-1985

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 5 2017, 2:42 PM 

"For a photographer, the geography of Hanging Heaton is a treasure with its undulating, split level grass shelves that lend a skewed perspective."

Not quite so much fun if you're running round the boundary and the ground suddenly disappears from under you, causing you to damage muscles in your hip and miss the first few games of the 1969-70 rugby season.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 5 2017, 2:51 PM 

a bit like running down that hill at saltburn. who would have thought a club like guisborough would be relegated from the premier league.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 5 2017, 3:02 PM 

I used to go for a drink at HH's club house and the pub next door, the fox and hounds.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 5 2017, 5:31 PM 

I'm hoping I avoid the hat trick this summer with my football team (Middlesbrough), ex club cricket team (Guisborough) already relegated and my county cricket team perilously close.
But yes marsker, it's a sad day to see Guisborough decline and I was chatting to another former player at the weekend who says theyvhsfe not really invested in youth which served them so well in the past. I know one of their most talented junior players could not play Saturdays due to work so he racks up easy runs in the thirds on a Sunday and it's a shame others like Chris Allinson did not stay with their home club when they gave up with Yorkshire.

With their facilities and size of catchment area they should still do better but I gather the local school despite being a sports college isn't doing a lot to encourage cricket either. In my time we had three or four teachers who taught us in the week and then shared a changing room with us at the weekend. Plus we had several stalwarts who stayed at guisborough come what may and we could pick up stronger plAyers from the Cleveland league teams like Skelton Castle and local villages like Great Ayton but they have now overtaken us.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk