<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Papag
(Login Papag1)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Day Two)

September 6 2017, 6:35 PM 

Good performance today after being put in Lee's was very unlucky he seemed well down the track with the ball looking high to me, Hodd and Leaning set it up when on another day we could have collapsed, decent crowd in the breezy cloudy conditions 305/7 whem I left

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2017, 6:38 PM 

Isnt anyone going to say well done...?
I think thats a bloody terrific response from our team after what happened in Scarborough and they should be very pleased with their effort today.
We wont lose from here and if we bowl well we might even force a victory.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 6 2017, 6:43 PM 

A slightly odd decision to go off for bad light. It was, I think, perfectly playable though admittedly cold and grey.

Yorkshire did well today. The bowling was good for the most part and persistently challenging. For me, Harris impressed. Murtagh with the new ball after tea was better than in the morning. Finn huffed and puffed but at least kept the ball up to the bat most of the time. Franklin did a useful job filling in. Raynor's last few overs were very economical after a slapdash start.

Ballance was careless. Rashid got a pretty good one. Everybody else showed a willingness to apply themselves. The partnership of the day was between Leaning and Hodd but Lyth deserves lots of praise for a hardworking effort in the morning, when things were most testing. Hodd was skittish but always positive. He hit a couple of deliciously impish reverse sweeps and always looked to use his feet. He's a player that several on this site are far too ready to criticise.
The most fluent batting of the day came from Leaning who impressed me as much today as at any time this season - even more than when playing defiantly during the Scarborough debacle. He looked likely to make a hundred but was out to a slightly loose stroke during a grand spell from Murtagh.
After a wobble, Bresnan and Plunkett pulled things back together and were beginning to dominate just as the umpires called everyone off.

The crowd was modest but genial and attentive. The mysterious Taverners have relocated from their perch at the side of the Rugby Stand and found luxurious new apartments in a lofty ashtray above the debenture seats.
There were several hardy souls in the grandstand and I'll join them tomorrow for a sentimental hour or two; otherwise, if it's as chilly as it was after tea today, I'll head for the sanctuary of the East stand.

I can't see much likelihood of a result, but that might be no bad thing. A decent haul of points for the draw will do for the time being.

It was a satisfactory day's cricket.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2017, 6:49 PM 

Thanks T1950. Lovely report and well done to the team for showing some mettle and grit today and recovering from a precarious position when four down. Agree we should not lose from here and with the bowlers well rested over the last month I hope they are all fired up

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

September 6 2017, 7:08 PM 

For the first time in awhile was highly encouraged by our performance today, some of the highlights obviously included Leaning's splendid knock but also Lyth's useful contribution. Those 2 seem to be finding their confidence and form again coming into the end of the season, which gives me some hope that they can both take this into having mhch better seasons next year which will be a big help towards the batting returning to expected standards. One thing which seems to me a very significant thing to take from this innings is Hodd looking comfortable enough to bat at 6, not only because it could give us a good option at 6 but because Bresnan can now move back down to 7 where he looks far more comfortable batting, which was also evident today. A few more innings like this from Hodd at 6 and maybe we don't need a new wicketkeeper-batsman as much as we thought.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 6 2017, 7:12 PM 

Relieved to see a decent batting performance - certainly desperately needed. Can we get the bowling points though?

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 6 2017, 7:35 PM 

Well played the whole team today

The top 3 performed admirably getting us to lunch with only 1 down

Even after a mini collapse the foundation was laid....something that has rarely happened this season.

Now we have earned ourselves the chance of winning...but first lets have a go at that 4th batting point

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Better of the day

September 6 2017, 8:33 PM 

I think we had the better of the day today and if we can ram home the advantage with a quick 50 or so in the morning we will be well on the way to banking at least 12 points for the draw.

The missed day and the weather forecast for the final 2 days make anything else wishful thinking.

We need to bowl well to get the 3 bowling points of course, if we bowl very well and get the chance to put them in again then maybe the thinking isn't quite so wishful.

A day with some gritty cricket to start with becoming more expansive and enjoyable as the day wore on. A good crowd I thought for September, rewarded with a glimpse of the sun, but only a glimpse.

If the weather forecast improves for Friday I'll be tempted to go back.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 6 2017, 8:35 PM 

Enjoyed today.
Was a lot more solid batting performance then we have see of late in the Championship. Shame its a 3 day (maybe less) game as would fancy our chances from here.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 6 2017, 8:47 PM 

Generally positive comments above, for a change. I suppose they would say that we played well, for a change.

I think we've had the better of the day on a pitch with something for the bowler, if tomorrow we can find someone to duplicate the excellence of Finn, especially. Shame it was such a small crowd, understandable on a miserable and cold day.

I thought everyone batted pretty well, Lees included. Only Ballance out to a poor stroke, plus Leaning, I suppose, after a quite excellent 85. He and Hodd provided the best batting of the day in a stylish century partnership that accelerated the scoring from around 2 to over 3 per over.

Bresnan, a bit scratchy, and Plunkett finished the day strongly; astonishing bad-light decision at the end.

The Middlesex ground fielding was exceptional all day; 30 runs saved, I would guess. Champagne moment was Bresnan's dive for the crease, a good second or so after the throw had missed the stumps. If Plunkett's running is an indication, he is fully fit.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 6 2017, 8:47 PM 

How much time was lost when they brought them off? Cricinfo has them down bowling 98 overs on the day?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2017, 8:55 PM 

Been today.

Tyke 1950 has summarised things very well. A few other thoughts:

Leaning was excellent, he played as well as I've ever seen him play. Lets keep him at 5 for the reminder of the season and into the next one.

Lees: I'm a fan. He enjoys my full confidence. Some of the negative views expressed on here can only be from people who never actually watch any cricket, or don't understand what they're watching. Looked good at 3 and was badly, and I mean badly, sawn off by the ump - high and missing leg.

Hodd: Andrew often looks good and plays well but his innings are far to brief. Today he should be applauded for making a significant contribution when things could well have gone south.

Plunkett at 9 makes a difference. We've often had Patto or Brooks there this year and that's a significant weakness. The 40 or so Liam and Tim have added were mood changing runs.

Stuff the much mentioned Mitchell signing although a decent 'Kolpack' opening the batting would help.

The bad light: What a complete farce. I was at the test last Tuesday as were the TV cameras!! Enough said.

Matthew Hoggard: Sat on the players balcony wearing official team gear, are we employing him? Haven't seen an announcement.

Members forum: I missed it. Anyone attend and anything of interest said?

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 6, 2017 9:08 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2017, 8:56 PM 

6 overs lost in the days allocation, as 8 overs are added for the overs lost yesterday.

104 overs tomorrow, weather permitting, & the normal 96 on Friday.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 6 2017, 9:02 PM 

Thanks all for descriptions of the day. Much appreciated as I had to be on a 6.20 am flight to Amsterdam, and just got back. Was quietly cheered by checking scores through the day -- have to say that, on reading good news, surprise was my first reaction and pleasure only came second. That's after the gloom of recent performances.

Was even more pleased with the score after hearing from you that Middlesex both bowled and fielded well. And with rain yesterday and murk today it can't exactly have been a batsman's paradise.

Let's hope the bowlers are fired up tomorrow, and fingers crossed for 350 before 110 overs.

(Note there's always been a strong minority faction on this forum that concurs with Gillespie's judgement that the best thing he ever did for the club was bring in Andy Hodd. He can keep (well enough, or better), he can bat (well enough) and you can bet that if anyone has done anything to raise/restore morale in the last few weeks it will have been him.)

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Members forum

September 6 2017, 9:35 PM 

Talking about the Diamonds and women's cricket when I arrived and that took up most of the time.

MM wasn't there.

a. Rumours, Brathwaite confirmed, Mitchell, nothing in it. Brathwaite may be available next season too. See how it goes.

b. Top 6 batting was a priority and they were doing all they could.

c. New stand due to be signed off this week and old stand should be down in October.

If you haven't seen it they are cracking on and a large chunk of the Rhino's South stand is no more.

d. Couple of members complaints. One 79 year old chap had a metal tipped umbrella he was stopped from bringing in to Roses T20. Another chap paid £120 annually for a place in car park F and has been turned away a few times due to lack of room. (Didn't say what time he arrived and how long he wanted his place reserved for).

e. Question about letting Rhodes go, he was given guarantees about first team cricket at Edgebaston so he wanted to go.

f. Some general complaints and shrugging of shoulders about new T20 competition, nothing new.

Nothing else springs to mind. I shan't rush to the next one.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Yorkshire vs Middlesex day 2

September 6 2017, 9:55 PM 

I also have a metal tipped umbrella in the club colours, which I bought some years ago in the club shop. If any steward tried to prevent my taking it into the ground, I would insist on seeing the Operations Manager who is in overall charge of the stewarding. That would be just about more acceptable than inserting the metal tip injudiciously.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 6 2017, 10:06 PM 

Great to see Jack Leaning again showing the talent we all know he has, after a tough time.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2017, 10:25 PM 

Arquably our best day overall of the season so far, but probably all to no avail. 12 points maximum, due to rain. Not enough time left to lose, but not enough time left to win either. Looks like 1/2 a day tomorrow and 1/2 a day on Friday.

Great to see a much better batting performance by the team, and individually by Leaning.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 7 2017, 12:13 AM 

thoroughly enjoyed our performance today. especially the admirable Andrew Hodd, 100% team man, top wicketkeeper and gritty batsman. i think if you give him responsibility he performs better. Jack Leaning was top class as well.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 7 2017, 6:59 AM 

Sadly the cricinfo report is nothing that you could not have written from reading the scorecard.

Better write ups by the WRF attendees.

Edwards and Hopps must be elsewhere sadly

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk