<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Root keen on IPL

September 6 2017 at 6:25 PM
Twelfth Man  (Login twelthman)

Chances of seeing him much in a Yorkshire shirt are already slim, but considering they only ever release their players to counties in April and May when the IPl is on, I don't see him playing for Yorkshire much if at all in the remainder of his career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41176776

"Ultimately I'm an England player and that comes first." No slight on Joe, but don't we know it...

This message has been edited by twelthman on Sep 6, 2017 6:26 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Root keen on IPL

September 6 2017, 6:30 PM 

Maybe the pull of his young son might persuade him to stay here and not go to the IPL.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 6 2017, 8:11 PM 

Ultimately cricket is his profession

Cricketers have a relativel short career.

Who here would not go to India if they could earn 5 times their salary?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 6 2017, 8:43 PM 

Although the money would be nice I doubt Joe needs it with the central contract base salary been £700k a year and now he's captain a bit more now. Perhaps he just wants to experience it once? Fair play to the lad.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 6 2017, 8:48 PM 

I don't think he gives a toss about Yorkshire anymore. Hardly repaid us with runs whenever he's bin allowed to play. I think he's the complete opposite of bairstow. Root seems like a Surrey lad in disguise to me, he's happy doing his thing away from the "grim north"

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 6 2017, 8:51 PM 

Fair play to him if he can get a gig out there. he'll get a huge wedge of cash and he's a long time retired.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 6 2017, 9:00 PM 

Why would he not go? Incredible experience and oodles of cash.

The statement about him being like a 'Surrey lad' is bizarre.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 6, 2017 9:01 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 6 2017, 9:03 PM 

I'm with you Sid. It's an honour to lead your country and it requires duties that sadly mean time in the south but I bet joe would prefer to Oudh his lad round the Abbeydale boundary still and play for the white rose as he did when he took over from Gale as skipper for the 2014 final game.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 7 2017, 10:18 AM 

Interesting one. Given what Root earns just from his England contract (presumably sponsorship and appearances must take his earnings above the £1 million mark), I would hope that money would not be a motivating factor. I wouldn't have a clue what do if I earned £100K a year never mind a million, other than bank it! Yes cricket is a short career, but Root is never going to be short of work is he? He will waltz into the comms box or into coaching.

On the other hand I can understand why he might want to experience the IPL - the money I surely incidental for him?

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 7 2017, 10:21 AM 

Possibly something like £750k-£1m for 6 weeks work. I can see the attraction myself.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 7 2017, 11:17 AM 

For sure - but difference is that for me it would be a massive one off and I would retire immediately! For Root it is just another lump of cash to add to the cash mountain.

(Login sooty-yorkie1)

September 7 2017, 11:19 AM 

Of course it's for the money if they offered him £10k he wouldn't be interested in the slightest. And why not, if someone offered me a year salary in 6 weeks I'd be interested. As to that amount of money I your lifestyle expands to spend the money.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk