<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: 3rd Test | England vs West Indies at Lords (Match Thread)

September 9 2017, 10:07 AM 

Re the match, it seems to be a bright sunny morning at Lord's, which will boost the chances of West Indies sealing their series victory. I just think it will be tough chasing 150 plus on this track in the fourth innings.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2017, 10:26 AM 

Yet another sub-standard wicket at Lords. They just can not get it right. It is either like a road for the first day and becomes a cart track from day 2 onwards, or it is like a cart track from day 1.

The CC match we played there, the test against SA and now this.

Standards in Umpiring
(Login BrickyardBoy)

September 9 2017, 10:36 AM 

I have felt for a long time that the whole culture of umpiring in domestic professional cricket is in need of reconstruction. I would particularly like to see a complete re-think of the systems for recruitment, training and development, and appraisal. There is scope for greater transparency and a need to embrace external assessment with some "lay involvement". It seems to me that the present arrangements, with umpires reporting on captains and captains writing reports on umpires has the potential to be incestuous. I trust that it is not so, but "The medium is the message" and the present dispensation is throwing up anomalies, whilst being impervious to external review and accountability.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 9 2017, 10:52 AM 

Yes Stu, the overhead conditions have played no part!

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 9 2017, 11:05 AM 

I can only assume you've not watched any of the test if you're blaming the wicket. If you have watched it and are still blaming the wicket then I worry.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2017, 11:27 AM 

You are correct, I have not watched any of the match. I apologise if it is due to overhead conditions.

There were also tricky overhead conditions at Headingley, but that wicket favoured batsmen and bowlers alike and as a result we got a very competitive test match that lasted 5 full days and was the best test of this year by miles. We need to send our groundsman to Lords, so thy can get their wickets prepared better.

Still no excuse for the wickets at Lords for the SA test and the Middlesex v Yorkshire match, where the wicket was like a road for the first day & 1/2 and detioriated alarmingly after that and became a batting nightmare.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 9, 2017 11:29 AM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 9 2017, 1:58 PM 

Absolute masterclass from Jimmy Anderson.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 9 2017, 4:23 PM 

We won, by the way.

(Login dpressed)

September 9 2017, 5:38 PM 

As this is a Yorkshire site, I think you meant England won

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 9 2017, 5:48 PM 

No he meant we won, plenty of us support England & Yorkshire equally

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 9 2017, 6:19 PM 

I lost. Anyone want a ticket for lords tomorrow?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Stoneman/Ballance

September 10 2017, 6:44 PM 

It will be interesting to see if Stoneman is released to play for Surrey against us on Tuesday given this game has finished 2 days early.

I should imagine he will play as it's in England's interest to seek some further re-assurance about him, even though I'm sure he has booked his place in the Ashes squad.

Big couple of games coming up for Gary Ballance before the selection meeting towards the end of September.

I think the selectors would like to go for him, hopefully with a view to his batting at 5, but they will need to see some runs from him.

Some big runs will help both him and Yorkshire, at least in the short term as far as this season is concerned.

Rey
(Login Rey2)

September 10 2017, 7:34 PM 

Stoneman will be back for Surrey, full availability here:

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/470109

Also interesting that Essex/Warks is televised. Unfortunately I think that will be it for Championship cricket on TV, as the remaining two rounds clash with the ODI series.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 10 2017, 8:02 PM 

As expected and no great surprise, but we have 5 missing for our last 3 matches. No other county has more than 2.

(Login dpressed)

September 10 2017, 9:56 PM 

How many of our 5 will actually play? And yet some on here don't think that Team England just care about themselves

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 11 2017, 10:17 AM 

Claiming 5 missing is statistically correct but one of them seems to not be close to selection in our four day team and 2 others have long since departed.

It's when Rashid and plunk carry the drinks it gets annoying

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 11 2017, 10:19 AM 

Yep Willey the most likely to miss out. And we've refused to give him a chance in the Championship anyway.

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 11 2017, 10:39 AM 

I know Lancashire chances of overhauling Essex at the top of the table are wafer-thin, especially after last week's rain-ruined clash which Lancs actually shaded, but it says it all when Westley and probably Cook (for the last 2 matches) are allowed to play for Essex while Anderson & Buttler will play NO part in Lancs' last three matches.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2017, 12:56 PM 

I'd be quite pleased if I thought there was a conspiracy in favour of a county or counties in the Championship. It would mean the blighters actually cared about it. In fact they'd prefer to see the counties swept away and replaced by six training academies based on regions or cities.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 11 2017, 1:10 PM 

I think there's often "cognitive dissonance" with cricket administrators and officials. For example, I'm sure most umpires try to be scrupulously fair, but I've heard some of them talking with such passion about the counties they played for that they can't possibly be dispassionate about them. Whether that leads them to be biased in favour of that county or to lean over too far the other way, it must surely have an effect.
Similarly, there may be plenty of administrators who have convinced themselves that academies or franchises or semi-professional town-based leagues are the right way for the game to go, but a large proportion of them are emotionally attached to one county or another.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk