<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

3rd Test | England vs West Indies at Lords (Match Thread)

September 7 2017 at 4:48 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 7-11, 2017 - 3rd Test at Lord's, London

Scorecard

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 3rd Test | England vs West Indies at Lords (Match Thread)

September 7 2017, 7:00 AM 

Please let it be a competitive match that goes to the end of the fourth day as I have a ticket for Sunday....

I've also just realised I saw Jimmy get his 400th test wicket at headingley in 2015 v New Zealand so chance I may get to see his 500th on Sunday too.

Not sure there will be 600

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 7, 2017 8:23 AM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 7 2017, 10:13 AM 

It's a strange Lord's Test that doesn't make it to Day Four, I'm sure you'll be fine.

This Test holds a lot more interest than many would have thought anyway! Must-win for England; as well as Windies played at Headingley, anything other than a series win would be an awful result.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 7 2017, 2:13 PM 

Every sign of 400 for West Indies and a convincing win I'd say.

If that doesn't take some wickets nothing will.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Sep 7, 2017 2:13 PM

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 7 2017, 3:02 PM 

Done!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 7 2017, 3:07 PM 

Yes, I am in fact Eghamtyke in disguise

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 7 2017, 4:12 PM 

Anyone want a return from leeds to London on Sunday to take the wife shopping or to see the sights?

Looks like no cricket at lords by then so I either flog my train ticket or go and watch grass grow, paint dry and see the magic Beer evaporation before my very eyes several times over

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 7, 2017 5:13 PM

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 7 2017, 4:56 PM 

Ben Stokes showing yet again what a special cricketer he is!

Now it's over to Stoneman, Westley etc to book their flights for the winter.

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 7 2017, 5:03 PM 

I wouldn't lose hope of play on day 4 just yet. Tomorrow looks likely to be washed out and if England can bat for most of the day on Saturday you should have at least half a day of cricket to watch on Sunday.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 7 2017, 5:06 PM 

Good response from Stokes after not being given a real chance on the last day at Headingley!

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 7 2017, 5:08 PM 

The amount of swing from Stokes reminded me of Massie in his famous match - 1972 was it?

Yes it was and here is a link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_mAF2-PKew

Some excellent Aussie moustaches too.

This message has been edited by NewBrian on Sep 7, 2017 5:38 PM

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 7 2017, 5:10 PM 

Stoneman goes 1-1

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 7 2017, 5:17 PM 

One of the writers in the telegraph was advocating playing Woakes instead of Malan or Westley and pushing Stokes up to 5 to focus on his batting.

Presume Ben saw the article....

Edit. PS never mind day four concerns.... day three ticket holders could be twiddling their thumbs and after a refund

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 7, 2017 6:03 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Bad light

September 7 2017, 7:24 PM 

It does still exist though it looks like it needs to be very bad light for televised matches.

Probably unfair conditions to judge batsmen but when the going gets tough and all that. Big opportunity for Malan when they get back on, if he's lucky conditions will have changed completely.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 7 2017, 8:26 PM 

there is obviously a massive difference in what test match officials allow and what their county colleagues tolerate. it was very much darker at lords and last weeks headingley test than last night at headingley. maybe a standard on the light meter should be set,

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 8 2017, 11:44 AM 

Just enough time this morning for Malan to further confuse the Ashes squad batting issues.....

This message has been edited by Fraisse10 on Sep 8, 2017 11:44 AM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Day 4 tickets

September 8 2017, 9:33 PM 

Kew Gardens is very lovely this time of year.

Open 10.00 to 8.30 pm on Sunday!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 9 2017, 9:06 AM 

I'm really enjoying watching a game in which the bowlers are on top; like the Yorkshire cricket of my boyhood.

It's in these conditions that the quality of the batsman can really shine through. I thought Kai Hope was superb last evening. I didn't see much of the Headingley Test, so he came as a bit of a surprise to me. The left-hander Powell was also looking good before he got one from Anderson that would have bowled anyone.

Coincidentally, I was watching live in the Headingley Taps during a rain interruption when Chase was bowled by Stokes in the first innings - a hooping inswinger followed by one that shaped to swing in but then held its own off the seam to hit off stump.

How you're supposed to play that sort of delivery I have no idea.

On the question of light, I too have been frustrated by the apparent inconsistencies of umpires, not only by different umpires in different games, but by the same two umpires in the same game at Headingley, where they seemed to come off simply because it was 6 pm and cold.

But how do you standardise it all? Light-meters, yes, but they measure only the AMOUNT of light, not the visibility of the ball, which is what matters. More light does NOT equate to easier to see - the obvious example being when the sun is directly in your eyes and you can't see a bloody thing!

Then there's the background. Sightscreen for the batsman, but what about the poor lad fielding in the gully, who is likely to get a ball slashed straight at his head from crowd, or trees, or with a white ball against white seats? Surely, only a human umpire can make this judgement; which means inconsistencies are inevitable.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 9 2017, 9:23 AM 

24 hours on, I feel that very little play was lost. Coming off was usually followed by rain settling in within five minutes. But that's not really the point. And from a PR point of view umpires could help themselves if they looked less keen to get into the warmth of the pavilion, and less as if the paying customer was an annoying intrusion into their lives. The most common inconsistency is between light at 11.30., and light at 5.45p.m. In the latter case there's a definite feel of 'we've done our duty, we can clear off now.' And most depressing of all, it's sometimes shared by batsmen and fielders too.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 9 2017, 9:29 AM 

If all Tests can become floodlit at some stage the games are slanted a shade towards the sides bowling at the time, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. We need to give the bowlers more encouragement. What I would hate is bringing in the pink ball in all Tests, at least until they have developed one that gives more movement than the current examples. And it just looks naff, doesn't it?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk