<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login WhiteroseDave)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Day Four)

September 8 2017, 5:38 PM 

Exactly my thoughts! I know in the past when similar things have happened it was said that it was to help progress the game, that can't be said in this case

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 8 2017, 5:40 PM 

If you can't declare to improve your title/survival hopes then something is wrong. Pretty basic but shrewd captaincy.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 8 2017, 6:01 PM 

Even if it means declaring at 18/1?

FormerCountryMember
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Middx's Declaration

September 8 2017, 6:03 PM 

Is there perhaps distinction between progressing the match in question towards a result and progressing (improving) the team's position in the competition in which the match takes place?

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 8 2017, 6:09 PM 

This is what the ECB's rules have to say on it:

The ECB's Playing Regulations state: "An extraordinary declaration for the purposes of this rule is a declaration aimed primarily at denying the bowling side the opportunity to acquire further bonus points in that innings, but without enhancing the batting side's prospects of winning or saving the match. Such a declaration may, depending on the particular circumstances, be deemed as bringing the game into disrepute, penalties for which may include the deduction of points from the offending team."

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 8 2017, 6:14 PM 

Title/Survival a pretty big circumstance!

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 8 2017, 6:14 PM 

Don't see nothing wrong with declaring when they did. 3 overs left in the day. Weren't going to get 300. We'd have done the same

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 8 2017, 6:18 PM 

It seems I'm in the minority here but I feel like it's a pretty clear breach of the rule above. Hopefully it'll make no difference anyway.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 8 2017, 6:29 PM 

Thanks guys, some interesting views. For myself I wasn't particularly worked up about it, I just wanted to be clear where the declarations stood in terms of the regulations. Still not quite sure!

(Login dpressed)

September 8 2017, 6:44 PM 

Why do I think that if Yorkshire had declared in such a situation the ECB would have objected, but because it's Middlesex nothing will happen

(Login WhiteroseDave)

It reads to me as though it's against the rules but will only be punished in some circumstances which does seem a little odd but I suppose it gives them the right to punish as they see fit if there's a really blatant breach which causes uproar and let it go if it's of relatively little consequence

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Umpires discretion again.

I believe they have to talk it through with the umpires.

We should have come out and had some batting practice rather than let them skip off home early.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 8 2017, 6:50 PM 

Umps must have given them the nod, yes. Otherwise they would have been blocking once they got to 250.

Former Country Member
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Middx's Declaration

September 8 2017, 7:01 PM 

I'm with you in your minority WRD: assuming an "extraordinary declaration" is one that is open to objection, it seems to me that Middx's declaration is clearly extraordinary and therefore open to objection. Having said that, I'm pretty sure nothing will happen, not least because I suspect it would be cleared with the umpires beforehand.

Wasn't there a similar occurrence a few years back, involving Lancs and Middx, again to do with relegation, in which Lancs (unusually but legally) declared mid-over (and not at the fall of a wicket)? Nothing happened then either.

Speaking of mid-over events, I've often thought of the winning of the Championship with a batting bonus point gained by scoring the first run of a two or three, or the second run of a three, where the run counts but the ball is not even dead at the crucial moment. Has this ever happened.......?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2017, 8:36 PM 

The declaration = sensible cricket but surely against the regs, but absolutely no way will any action be taken. I'd love to see the umps explain their decision as I'm sure Middlesex will have checked with them before hand,

Bad light: Day 3 at Leeds in a CC match with 2000 present we're off at 2:50pm. Test match at Lords with more in and TV broadcasting, we're still playing at 7:30pm. I'm not saying which is right or wrong, but you'll never convince me the 'rules' were applied consistently.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 8 2017, 9:34 PM 

I had a few quibbles with the "extraordinary declaration" regulation when it was introduced and the question of penalties still seems to me to be worded ambiguously. However, these both have to be textbook cases of extraordinary declarations. They are precisely the kind of event the regulation was introduced to prevent, since both declarations were clearly intended to deny the opposition the possibility of bonus points and really can have had no other motivation. I can't believe they'll go unchallenged, unless some guidance on the interpretation of the regulation has been drastically changed.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2017, 11:51 PM 

Both declarations should be looked at, as both were against the regulations, as they denied the opposition the chance of gaining another bonus point.

But why did GB agree to the early finish. He should have insisted on finishing the game after the full number of allotted overs had been bowled.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 9 2017, 7:22 AM 

What irks me is that after days of play being affected by the weather the teams end up not playing at all in good weather by a contrived declaration designed to stop the game early.

Nothing will happen but you wait in the rain to watch some cricket and when it starts you get things like this happening which don't help the image of the game

Roundhegian
(Login Roundhegian)

September 9 2017, 8:26 AM 

There were only three overs remaining and two of those would have been lost to the change of innings!

(Login BrickyardBoy)

September 9 2017, 8:40 AM 

I do not think that we can complain too much. The old saying "Those who lived be by the sword, perish by the sword!" comes quickly to mind.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Sep 9, 2017 8:41 AM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk