<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Umpires

September 9 2017, 8:54 AM 

If there were only 3 overs left then I think the Umpires have questions to answer for allowing it to happen.

The match within a match at the time was for Middlesex to get to 300 for an extra batting point or for Yorkshire to get 9 wickets for an extra bowling point.

I wasn't there but if I had been I might have been quite gripped by the drama and felt cheated by the final outcome.

We will never know of course but it's quite possible that with a different pair of Umpires we might have got quite a bit more play in this game.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Middlesex at Headingley (Day Four)

September 9 2017, 9:07 AM 

I have felt for a long time that the whole culture of umpiring in domestic professional cricket is in need of reconstruction. I would particularly like to see a complete re-think of the systems for recruitment, training and development, and appraisal. There is scope for greater transparency and a need to embrace external assessment with some "lay involvement". It seems to me that the present arrangements, with umpires reporting on captains and captains writing reports on umpires has the potential to be incestuous. I trust that it is not so, but "The medium is the message" and the present dispensation is throwing up anomalies, whilst being impervious to external review and accountability.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 11:29 AM 

The fact that there were 3 overs left is quite significant. If there had been two overs left, Middlesex would at least have had the argument that it is "customary" to declare with two overs left in the day and everyone walks off and shakes hands. It would be a "legalistic" argument, but at least it would be an argument. With 3.1 overs left, it was an "extraordinary" declaration in the precise terms of the regulation.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 9 2017, 12:00 PM 

Middlesex wouldn't have been batting in the same manner had they not had the option to declare. It was a smart declaration, move on.

If the ECB are so pro Middlesex they certainly wouldn't be deducting them points for a slow over rate at the Oval, given the circumstances.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 9 2017, 12:07 PM 

Middlesex are not getting the points back from last week. They have lost their appeal.

It was not smart cricket Dwight, it was a clear breach of the rules, and in fact, cheating, as was the Essex declaration which also deprived Lancashire of 1 point. Will you still be saying that if we get relegated by one point?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 9, 2017 12:15 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 9 2017, 12:14 PM 

If we get relegated by a point, this certainly wouldn't be the moment i look back on. There seems to be a clear misconception that we have actually been robbed of a guaranteed point. As i've said the last half hour or so would have been a different beast had they been forced to bat the overs.

I'd have demanded we declared had it been us yesterday.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 9, 2017 12:15 PM

(Login dpressed)

September 9 2017, 12:19 PM 

Middlesex are whinging because they've been docked 2 points. Bl**dy hypocrites

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 12:26 PM 

If the regulations say that an "extraordinary declaration" will bring a points deduction and the captain makes an "extraordinary declaration", I'm struggling to see how he could claim his action was "smart".
It might have been smart under a different set of regulations, but that isn't really the point.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 9 2017, 12:37 PM 

So if they've squared it with the match officials and such as a circumstance permits a declaration. It's not smart to do so?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Yorkshire vs Middlesex day 4

September 9 2017, 1:21 PM 

Umpires cannot agree to allow a rule of the competition to be broken. They are there to uphold the rules.

peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 9 2017, 5:29 PM 

Jolly you are spot on....however....

An extraordinary declaration as this clearly was is in itself not against the regulations.

The crime is bringing the game into disrepute...such a declaration in certain circumstances could be seen as bringing the game into disrepute...this is clearly subjective which is daft....rules are rules and should be clear

Same as with bsd light decisions

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk