<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

(Login dpressed)

Re: Rashid

September 9 2017, 10:14 AM 

Rashid has always been an enigma. He's a likely to to bowl a rubbish spell as he is a brilliant one, but has the happy knack of taking wickets with an awful ball. Against Worcester in the T20 at Headingley Adil bowled well but took a wicket with a delivery that should have been hit out of the ground.

His batting is similar, although Rash is a poor starter. Once he gets in Adil can score well. I've always thought the best way to get him cheap is to stop him scoring early in his innings as he'll chase a wide one & get caught out.

So please stop this Rashid should be sacked rubbish. Yes we'll all moan a bit but we should give a Yorkshire legend his due support

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Rashid

September 9 2017, 11:33 AM 

Are Rafiq and Carver good enough to play for Yorkshire - in short the answer has to be no. Rafiq has so far bowled 78 overs this year, in 4 games, and taken 5 wickets at 54. Whenever I've watched him bowl in the CC he just never looks like taking a wicket. The last appearance of Carver for the first team included his infamous over which went for 37, put on at the wrong end by Bresnan, against a renowned hitter, goodness knows where his confidence is?

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 9 2017, 12:16 PM 

To be a Yorkshire legend you need to be dedicated to Yorkshire. And that means you do not "withdraw" from a championship deciding game at Lords.

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 9, 2017 12:42 PM

(Login dpressed)

September 9 2017, 12:21 PM 

Rafiq is an excellent one day bowler but has zero penetration in 4 day games. Rashid is the one player in the Yorkshire team for whom we have no replacement in the squad

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 12:23 PM 

When I was writing yesterday, I thought I'd had the information about Rashid from this forum. Thinking back, I now recall that it came at a second team game and, since I assume it was pretty much "off the record", I won't name the people involved. The ultimate source was a member of Yorkshire's coaching staff. My proximate source was a member of a current player's family. If you attend games, particularly at the lower levels, and chat to people (it's difficult not to when there are only eight of you in a field!), and also have connections to ex-players and present officials, you often have information that can't be shared on a site like this. Of course, you hear a lot of rumours as well, but it's rarely difficult to assess your sources.
There was a question the other day about Warwickshire's potential interest in a certain player. I could tell you that they did show interest in him a few years ago, but I wouldn't want to tell the whole world why they hesitated over signing him, even though the information came from a former chairman of Warwickshire's cricket committee (who presumably says things to his opponents at bridge that he wouldn't want divulged more widely). Also we've gone into the Malvern College question quite a bit in recent months. At the Worcs v Yorks II match at RGS Worcester, I was able to have a long conversation with the father of a player who's at Malvern on the same cricket programme TKC and Ben Twohig enjoyed. If we chat about that again on the forum, I hope I'll be well informed, but I wouldn't want to betray any important confidences. And I'll try never to say, "If only you knew what I know..."

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 9 2017, 12:31 PM 

How can we have no replacement for a player with zero penetration ? Perhaps with a player with 100 % dedication ?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 9 2017, 12:41 PM 

So dewsburian after reading all that. You potentially know something but don't want to spill?.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 9 2017, 12:45 PM 

UFOs do exist perhaps ? Because i too understood nothing .

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Rashid

September 9 2017, 1:36 PM 

Dewsburian is absolutely right when he states that one often hears things said at matches at the lower levels. The players are rarely the purveyors of information, (quite rightly), but their family members are sometimes. Although they may not ask specifically for discretion, it is implicit that they expect it. It would be unethical, not to mention a breach of faith, then to disclose information publicly.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 9 2017, 1:40 PM 

Yes & a lot of what is heard is rubbish but a few on here believe what suits their own agenda's

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 9 2017, 1:54 PM 

The problems with Rashid are more to do with Gale than Rashid. When captain, Gale never used Rashid as likely wicket taker, often not bowling him until 4 seamers had used 30+ overs, sometimes without much success. This has continued with Gale as "coach" and the two captains. Rashid is also a very useful batsman and certainly better than lower order one. If Gale is going to continue next season, then I think Rashid will leave us - and I think if would be the best for him, rather than being messed about. He will be an asset for any First Division county and, indeed, there is every chance now that we could be relegated to lower tier.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 9 2017, 1:59 PM 

Spot on Alibor.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 2:00 PM 

I know many things that I don't think it would be ethical to reveal on the Internet because they were told to me in confidence (or implied confidence). I can't remember a season when I didn't have to think hard and long about some information I'd been given and whether it was appropriate to disclose it. Generally, I've erred on the side of keeping things to myself, as I'm sure others will have done. I did report some words used by Katharine Brunt on the field at Derby earlier this year. If I hadn't believed they were more or less for public consumption (she was looking towards several of us in the crowd as she said them), I wouldn't have quoted them. I did, at least, give it some thought beforehand. Many years ago I mentioned some remarks Matthew Hoggard made to David Wainwright at Fenners because they were shouted across the field and Matthew must have known spectators would hear them.
As far as Adil Rashid is concerned, I believe what I wrote yesterday to be true - that indirect pressure was put on Adil Rashid not to play in that match. I've never written anything on this forum that I didn't believe to be true. I had thought the information was widely available, but clearly I was wrong.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 2:13 PM 

"Yes & a lot of what is heard is rubbish but a few on here believe what suits their own agenda's"

I don't know what you do when it seems you may be selecting information to fit in with your own "agenda", but I tend to ask whether any other available information confirms my belief or refutes it. If Adil Rashid hadn't wanted to play for Yorkshire at the end of last season, he could presumably have left at the beginning of this. If he had actually refused to play for Yorkshire without good reason, he would presumably have been asked to leave. I've considered these facts and think that the balance of probability is with the account of events that I've been given. If you have a better argument, I'll try to give it proper consideration.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 9 2017, 2:56 PM 

Well, with no inside information whatsoever, I think there's much in Alibor's post. It seemed pretty plain from the sidelines that when they played together there was friction between Gale and Rashid, not least when Gale was at short leg to him and was put in fear of his life by a half-tracker. So logically we shouldn't be surprised if there are developments, maybe over the close season.
I can see why the enigma that is Rashid would frustrate the life out of a captain or coach, and although at anywhere near his best he offers valuable variety to the team, there will be a point at this rate where the club sees a way forward without him. I recall Collingwood when he was England T20 captain revealing he'd omitted him at the toss for one game : 'We've left out the leg spinner, what's his name?'...
Doesn't look like Root is a fan either.
Let's not mince words: He's a talented batsman who these days often doesn't look interested, and a bowler capable of getting out class batsmen who can also bowl rubbish, even after over ten years in the team. It's because he's talented that we should be demanding more from him. I just wonder if he has simply lost interest in the county grind.

(Login dpressed)

September 9 2017, 4:56 PM 

People on here moaned when Yorkshire kept Rashid & released Lawson who went to Derbyshire, where is he now?

People on here moaned when Yorkshire kept Rashid & released Wainwright who went to Derbyshire, where is he now?

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 9 2017, 5:15 PM 

To an extent I understand SOME criticism of Rash, he must frustrate the team and coaching staff an awful lot, but he has what a lot of players don't.

Talent. This is a bowler who plays international, not village cricket. I suspect he would perform much better under a coach who totally believes in him and tells him he is the best English leg spinner in the country.

Which he is. Let's not forget that.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 9 2017, 6:18 PM 

So the fact he has a Fc bowling average of 50 this season is everyones fault but primarily Andrew Gale
. And that fact that Mason Crane is now likely to go to Australia is because ????

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 9 2017, 7:56 PM 

i have sympathy with adil. i have felt for a while he would be better off moving to a new county. the pitch does not suit him here. he has an unsympathetic coach and he needs a new drive and direction. the stupid championship season does not help, the first block in april and may, and this year the autumn has been wet and windy.if i was him i would be off to pastures new.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 9 2017, 8:58 PM 

"And that fact that Mason Crane is now likely to go to Australia is because ????"

If I were pressed, I'd say it's because Crane is "the next big thing". This puts him at the end of a long line that stretches at least from Richard Dawson, Chris Schofield and Min Patel through to Simon Kerrigan, Danny Briggs and Zafar Ansari, with a whole lot of others in between, most of them long forgotten (who now remembers Alex Loudon - apart from Pippa Middleton?).
It used to be recognized that spinners developed late. At some point, this was replaced by the "next big thing" philosophy, but it hasn't really produced very good results. Even after Adil and Graeme Swann had themselves been seen to be "the next big things", they were sent back to county cricket for several years before they became established in any of the England teams. Panesar is the only spinner I can think of in recent years who came in as "the next big thing" and actually performed and kept his place for a number of seasons.
The failure of the "next big thing" idea is occasionally acknowledged in a backhanded sort of way by a reversion to the "solid county spinner" (Gareth Batty, Samit Patel, Liam Dawson). Oddly, when spinners do seem to be maturing in the county game in their late twenties, which was more or less the traditional pattern (Leach at Somerset comes to mind), it seems difficult for them to break into the England set-up.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk