<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

(Login dpressed)

Re: Rashid

September 9 2017, 9:20 PM 

If Dews is correct then why weren't the people applying the pressure outed? Is it because they were to powerful?

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 10 2017, 9:34 AM 

I'm sure we all get snippets of information from time to time. We have to recognise the Chinese whispers effect which means that something reported as fact is in fact wide of the mark.

As I recall neither Rashid nor Bairstow were on central contracts at the time of that Middlesex game. Moxon said that if the ECB wanted to stop a player playing it was difficult to say no.

So why wouldn't they just have said up front that Root Rashid and Bairstow should not play in the game. Rather that being public about two of them and apparently underhand about one. It just doesn't ring true to me.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 10 2017, 10:20 AM 

Was the situation with Bairstow quite so straightforward? After Lehmann was recalled, the club made an application to the ECB to allow Bairstow to play on the grounds that the player himself had had plenty of rest and wanted to play. The club issued this statement on 18 September 2016:

"The Yorkshire County Cricket Club would like to express its disappointment after the ECB refused the Club’s request for Jonny Bairstow to participate in the final Specsavers County Championship fixture of the season.
Yorkshire Members, supporters and other stakeholders in the game will wonder why this permission has been refused. Having been rested for 16 days since he last played for England, Bairstow said he felt refreshed and wanted to play for Yorkshire against Middlesex at Lord’s, where the Club has the opportunity of winning three successive County Championships, a feat last achieved almost 50 years ago.
Although not a centrally contracted player for the last 12 months, Yorkshire required clearance from the ECB to play Bairstow. The Club’s Director of Cricket Martyn Moxon contacted the England hierarchy, but has been refused permission to play Bairstow by Director of England Cricket Andrew Strauss and England coach Trevor Bayliss.
Moxon works closely with England due to the fact that six players from Yorkshire have represented their country regularly over the last 12 months. Bayliss’ approach has been to see how the player feels, and this was respected when Bairstow said that he needed a rest after the Royal London One-Day Series. To put matters into context, other centrally contracted players who are soon to tour Bangladesh and India with England, have been allowed to represent their county in critical matches.
Bairstow has played five days of cricket in five weeks since the Kia Oval Test match, which finished on Sunday August 14."

So the club is saying that Bairstow says he's refreshed and wants to play and that the ECB is acting wholly against its stated policy by refusing him permission to do so. I don't remember all the ECB comments, but I'm pretty sure that they described him as "exhausted" at one point and implied that he hadn't wanted to play in the Middlesex match, though I can't lay my hands on the relevant statements at the moment. He certainly gave an interview (presumably under ECB auspices) to the effect that he was pleased to be having a rest before the winter tour.

You may think this was all very open and above board, but there seems to be something distinctly dodgy about it to me. And this is a man who's a fixture in the test team and certain to make the tour.
In this context, the idea that another, more marginal player might be "leaned-on" and choose to deal with it in a less confrontational way doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all.

Just as a little footnote, it's worth pointing out here that the above statement shows that Bairstow was as good as centrally contracted, since he required ECB clearance to play. That presumably wasn't the case with Rashid. It's also interesting that they make a point of mentioning Andrew Strauss by name (there was no need to do so).

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 10 2017, 11:39 AM 

'Chinese whispers'

I think that pretty much sums it up. If this was true it wouldn't be consigned to mumblings at 2nd XI matches.

YorkTyke
(Login YorkTyke)

September 10 2017, 12:07 PM 

Confirmation that Crane is "the next big thing" and that England have probably given up on Rashid as a test player :-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-4868966/England-plan-use-Stuart-MacGil-Ashes.html

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 10 2017, 12:07 PM 

"If this was true it wouldn't be consigned to mumblings at 2nd XI matches."

But if it was true, that's precisely what would happen. The county wouldn't want to blight the international career of one of its players by a confrontation with the ECB: that would hardly be good for future recruitment prospects. It would be in everyone's interest to sweep it all under the carpet.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 10 2017, 12:11 PM 

Does anybody at 2nd XI matches have any idea who ordered the Kennedy assassination?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 10 2017, 12:12 PM 

Sweeping it under the carpet by informing people who will spread it on public forums? Makes sense!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 10 2017, 12:31 PM 

"Does anybody at 2nd XI matches have any idea who ordered the Kennedy assassination?" I don't know, but I once met a man at Kidderminster CC who saw that I had in my car Peter Oborne's book on Basil d'Oliveira. He went to great lengths to inform me that the MCC's statement (in 1969?) - to the effect, if I remember right, that d'Oliveira had been excluded from the tour party on purely cricketing grounds - was 100% true.
The last snippet of information I received at a second team match concerned the location of the gents' toilet at the RGS ground in Worcester. Ian Dews, who was the only person around at the time, told me it was down the corridor and on the left and this proved to be entirely true.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 10 2017, 12:40 PM 

"Sweeping it under the carpet by informing people who will spread it on public forums? Makes sense!"

Are people at cricket matches thinking about public forums? Paul Grayson once sat down beside me on a bench at Barnt Green and shouted into his phone for about ten minutes at what I assume to be some administrator back in Chelmsford. I heard every word and would have had to have walked about twenty yards away to avoid doing so. Damian D'Oliveira did a similar thing a few yards away from me at New Rd, accusing a Worcestershire player of being the laziest person he'd ever met - a conversation I couldn't help but overhear but couldn't entirely make sense of, since, at the time, I didn't know what the "bleep test" was. I could cite other examples.

(Login dpressed)

September 10 2017, 5:10 PM 

I can add Byas (then coach) & Kirby having a 'frank discuss' behind the pavilion at Derby. Sadly Tango left the club at the end of the season in question

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 10 2017, 5:34 PM 

I'll chuck in the news that Mo Ashraf was leaving broken by two current players, one fielding and the other on 12th man duties shifting the side screen.

A more, at the time, news worthy conversation was one regarding Stoneman and Brothwick leaving Durham. When it comes to wages no one can compete with Surrey which ruled us out very quickly and Brothwick didn't want to leave. I won't disclose the source but its amazing what you hear at 2nd team games during rain breaks when the coaching staff didn't think anyone is listening.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 10 2017, 9:22 PM 

Must admit I've never understood the business about Surrey paying more than anyone else given the wage cap. Do they offer other undisclosed fringe benefits or does nobody else go anywhere near to the wage cap (Ironically Durham did breach that cap)

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk