<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Rashid

September 8 2017 at 6:52 PM
LUTyke  (Login Y4EV)

Anybody else getting sick of him now? Seems atm his head is not in the CC game. Is he even bothered about playing for Yorkshire or just biding his time until the one day internationals/big bash returns? Let's not forget him pulling out of playing at the end of last season which Gale was clearly unhappy with and was never cleared up. Rafiq and Carver want to play for us, but are they good enough?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rita Chevrolet
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Adil Rashid

September 8 2017, 7:04 PM 

Adil Rashid - don't'cha just love 'im?

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

Re: Rashid

September 8 2017, 8:04 PM 

Don't think he's got a big bash gig this Xmas

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 8 2017, 8:10 PM 

That's right, folks, let's assassinate all our best players.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 8 2017, 8:22 PM 

what i,m getting sick of is half baked criticism of our players, he did everything asked of him in this match,bowled and got a wicket and played his part in a decent performance.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2017, 8:25 PM 

Completely agree with Dave and Marsker. The early responses to a somewhat ill informed question, are, at best, crass.

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 8 2017, 8:41 PM 

Sid if you're putting me as "At best, crass" then I'm seriously offended by that. As for Rashid bowling today. I was there today and he bowled some absolute filth today hence his figures

This message has been edited by kevinowens on Sep 8, 2017 8:48 PM

JH
(Login harg49)

September 8 2017, 9:00 PM 

A quick look at the statistics show that Rash is not having the best of years in red ball cricket.
He is currently 78th in the 1st division batting averages, played 7 games scored 211 runs in 10 innings for an average of 23.44 He is 81st in the bowling averages having bowled 108 overs, conceded 500 runs and taken 10 wkts at an average of 50 runs for each wicket.
He is by no means the only player in the team that is underperforming, but for a player of his all round abilty and experience those figures are disappointing to say the least.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 8 2017, 9:01 PM 

The original question might have been worded better, but i'm not sure it's unfair to ask.

After dropping out of the final game of last season and a poor red ball campaign this. I suspect many are wondering..

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 8 2017, 9:03 PM 

Kevin: No, your comment was factual.

Rashid is one of the best Yorkshire cricketers of his generation, arguably the best Yorkshire leg spinner ever, a member of the national team, a genuine first class all-rounder and a sensible and sensitive Yorkshire born cricketer who deserves better than the tone of the comments being made.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 8 2017, 9:48 PM 

I thought it was now well-known that indirect pressure was put on Rashid to pull out of the Middlesex fixture or face exclusion from the touring party. He seems to have been sidelined by England anyway, though not for any very clear reason (a Guardian reporter recently referred to him as being unaccountably ostracized or words to that effect).
I think most people who've played cricket know that it depends a lot on confidence. All Yorkshire's players who've been involved with the international set-up over the last few years have taken blows to their confidence from time to time, with the possible exception of Joe Root. A prime case is Gary Ballance last year. I don't remember anyone talking about "getting sick of him", which seems a particularly ugly phrase and suggests more animus than could be prompted by simply the way someone plays cricket.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Not much spin

September 8 2017, 9:52 PM 

His CC figures do look poor but you have to bear in mind that most spinners get their wickets in the second innings.

The batting has been so poor this season that often there has been little or no second innings for our bowlers to get their teeth into.

He's bowled 108 overs so far this season, Harmer of Essex is on the the other end of the scale with 449 overs under his belt.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 8 2017, 10:15 PM 

Some years back I was singled out on the Forum as an excessive Rashid fan, and I admit it was at the point where he was at his lowest, bowling terribly, the season we went up and Rafiq had basically taken over as our foremost spinner. Rash found his way back with the bat, and then became a match-winner again with the ball.

The case against him remains present. Though some of us (evening,Alibor) feel he should bowl earlier, he is still much more effective against the tail than the higher order. It is clear that in some respect he is a difficult player to manage and motivate. I suspect some of this is personal psychology, and some of it is cultural. He will never be 100% part of a team which bonds around western cultural habits, in particular alcohol. But he is clearly a better bowler than Carver or Rafiq, even before you take into account his infinitely superior batting.

My favourite player among this great side, but I too was a little shaken by the end of last season. But sick of him? You must be joking. Is he still worth his place? A no-brainer.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 8 2017, 10:21 PM 

Very much doubt indirect pressure was put on him to pull out of the Middlesex game or face expulsion from the tour squad, what evidence do you have of this what you claim is well known

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 8 2017, 11:02 PM 

Rashid, quite simply, is an exceptional talent. He has given Yorkshire ten years of outstanding service. The comments directed against him are ill informed, mischievous and detrimental to the Club.
His season has been poor but his value to the club is inestimable.
Give the lad a break and be as loyal to him as he has been loyal to Yorkshire.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 9 2017, 1:15 AM 

In fairness to Rashid I don't think he's had much chance to work on his red ball game and is undercooked in the CC format, mostly due to England's Champions Trophy campaign and the Natwest T20 Blast matches played in a block.

Rested for the opener against Hampshire.
1-24 off 7 overs and 2-7 off 6 overs against Warwickshire.
1-95 off 20 overs against Hampshire
Played one day cricket in May and 1st half of June
3-94 off 26 overs against Middlesex
0-107 off 16 overs against Surrey (pink ball game)
2-74 off 13 overs and 0-47 off 10 overs against Somerset
T20 Blast
0-14 off 5 overs against Essex
More T20 Blast
1-38 off 5 overs against Middlesex

The pink ball is not leg spin friendly as it just hung in the air for a free licenced Sangakarra to hit all over Headinlgey.

Assuming Rashid will be doing the Oceania winter tour, his focus will be on white ball cricket until Mid-March.

Then the 1st half of the domestic season will be split between County Championship and Royal London Cup, 2nd half of season T20 Blast and County Championship. Realistically Rashid is going to have two windows to be effective in red ball cricket (June and September).

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 9 2017, 7:24 AM 

Yes, fixtures, conditions and our poor form have been more of an explanation as to why his stats look poor rather than attitude.

A World Cup, pink ball, Essex thrashing, rain affected games and scheduling half the season in April and September are plenty of reasons why he hasn't bowled much or taken wickets. He must be as hacked off as us

Rita Chevrolet
(Login FormerlyCountryMember)

Rashid

September 9 2017, 8:40 AM 

Thanks, sid! Crass is just so me.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 9 2017, 8:53 AM 

The Long Room was full of rumours of arrivals and departures. No doubt a combination of weeks without cricket followed by time off for rain. One concerned Rash, and it was that he's contemplating a future as a white ball mercenary, having enjoyed the Big Bash and feeling generally fed up in other respects. If that's true, one can hardly blame him with regard to England. I hope it doesn't apply to Yorkshire.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 9 2017, 9:43 AM 

I don't think it's a "well known fact" that pressure was put on Rashid to drop you of the Middlesex match - it was part of the paranoid hysteria surrounding the game at the time.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk