<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Re: More Problems for Durham?

September 12 2017, 12:40 PM 

Dews --- I was referring to REGULAR members of the team over a NUMBER of years. I will give you Trott, Bell & Collingwood, but I still maintain, that more don`t continue their career than do.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 12 2017, 2:00 PM 

Take the 12 main players from the 2005 Ashes series:

Michael Vaughan (c) (Yorkshire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Ashley Giles (Warwickshire)
Steve Harmison (Durham)
Matthew Hoggard (Yorkshire)
Geraint Jones (wk) (Kent)
Simon Jones (Glamorgan)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Andrew Strauss (Middlesex)
Marcus Trescothick (Somerset)

At the end of their test careers, Bell, Collingwood, Harmison, Hoggard, G Jones and Trescothick all went back to their counties and played for quite a few seasons, some more successfully than others. Simon Jones struggled on at Hampshire and then Glamorgan, but was finally defeated by his knee injury. Vaughan and Giles went back to their counties but retired prematurely due to injury (knee and hip respectively).
I'm not sure how to describe what Flintoff and Pietersen did after their test careers ended, but they both tried to relaunch county careers from time to time, though their motivations are generally quite hard to fathom. So far as I can see, Strauss is the only one from this sample of generally successful and established test players who came to the end of his test career and retired with immediate effect from all cricket.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 2:11 PM 

Good point, well made Dews. Thanks for the research. Looks like I am wrong. Apologies. It maybe was only the ones I named that have retired immediately after finishing their International careers.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2017, 2:44 PM 

I think the difference now is that the 2017 group of players stepping down from the national team will be better off than those in similar situation in 2005.

How much did Stokes get for his iPL stint again? Will he need to play for Durham when he stops for England?

Form also has an impact. If I was Bell I'd pack in playing for Warwickshire. But then others like Colly and Bres have done better back with their counties.

CricketWanderer
(Login CricketWanderer)

September 12 2017, 2:46 PM 

Frank, you wrote: "I do believe that you should have to have a minimum of 9 players that qualify to play for England in your 11. 1 overseas and 1 kolpac maximum"

But you cannot make that restriction because that is the very reason the Kolpak ruling was made in the first place. You cannot set quotas such as this is it is illegal under employment law. It is against the law!

Obviously that does not mean counties have to take Kolpak players on but they cannot be prevented from choosing to do so.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 12 2017, 3:03 PM 

Of the people I've looked at, a high percentage retired with genuine, well-publicized, long-standing injuries - and not just Giles, Vaughan and Simon Jones from this team, but Prior with his Achilles problem a few years later and poor old James Taylor of course, so it's hard to decide just what category they fit into. Ditto with the celebrities like Flintoff and Pietersen. And some of the ones who've had longish county careers have had them because they've retired from Test cricket for unusual reasons: Trott and Trescothick come to mind. My impression is that there's a whole bunch of the Collingwood/Bell/Geraint Jones type, a few Strauss/Swanns and a very big grey area in between (for example, Harmison was committed enough to county cricket to come out on loan to Yorkshire, but whether he was any use by that stage is an open question; and Bresnan made a successful return, but Hoggard's post-England days didn't work out particularly well, unless you count the Leics T20 win).

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 3:50 PM 

CricketWanderer I understand completely what your saying. I was talking more hypothetically and in some kind of righteous cricket utopia which will never exist.

This is why awarding points per player missing seems the most logical answer. Say 0.5 a point for every first class game a player misses?? An say 1 point per player who's not centrally contracted??

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 19 2017, 6:56 PM 

Botham rails after Coughlin opts for Notts

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20754006/botham-rails-system-skipper-coughlin-opts-notts

Think he makes some good points, personally. Would a football-style transfer system work?

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 20 2017, 10:13 AM 

Presume Jennings still looking to leave too.

All very sad and not helped by ECB actions.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 20 2017, 10:28 AM 

Jennings also on his way to Notts!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 20 2017, 10:38 AM 

I think an interesting aspect of this - and a point I missed in my post on this general question the other day - is that Coughlin and Jennings both have clauses in their contracts that allow them to leave for a higher division. I'm pretty sure Stephen Moore, who left Worcs. for Lancs. had something similar. I wonder what role agents might be playing in widening the divide between the divisions.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 20 2017, 10:39 AM 

Have to chuckle at Botham who played for three counties being upset!

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 20 2017, 5:34 PM 

Having said which, he did leave Somerset on principle and only
Joined Durham in his declining years. Bit different to the current circumstances at Durham.

(Login swfctyke)

September 20 2017, 5:41 PM 

I do feel for Durham, although they have brought some on themselves. Notts truly are magpies. Always makes me chuckle how many players they pass off as their own
Chris Read? Stuart Broad? James Taylor? I don't think so!!!

This message has been edited by swfctyke on Sep 20, 2017 5:44 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Reduced payroll

September 20 2017, 8:50 PM 

Not all bad news, they seem to have a decent academy and might now have some cash to bring in a decent overseas and a big name for the T20.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Jennings

September 21 2017, 9:49 PM 

Heard today on the radio, not sure exactly by who, that Lancashire are favourites to sign Jennings.

(Login ExiledinNotts)

October 4 2017, 11:52 AM 

Papag
(Login Papag1)

October 4 2017, 12:45 PM 

If I was him would ask for a quick transfer to Middlesex happy.gif

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk