Jack Leaning
Alex Lees
Adam Lyth
Shaun Marsh
Steven Patterson
Azeem Rafiq
Jack Shutt
Ryan Sidebottom

3 spinners in the squad. Does that mean we are thinking of playing at least 2?

We could have a very long "tail", especially if all three spinners play.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Re: Yorks v Surrey CC pre-match thread

September 11 2017, 10:19 AM 

Lyth
Marsh
Lees
Ballance
Leaning
Bresnan
Hodd
Rafiq
Brooks
Coad
Siddy

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 11 2017, 10:47 AM 

Same team as that except either Patto or Carver for Brooks. On this year's form Brooks will be carted all over The Oval.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 11 2017, 11:31 AM 

Jack Shutt is a headline writer's dream.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 11 2017, 11:41 AM 

Photo of Jack Shutt, playing in the 2nd XI Roses Match at Scarborough.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/forwarddefensive/35228690321/in/album-72157682881111881/

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 11 2017, 11:44 AM 

There was some discussion of Jack Shutt's origins earlier in the year (or possibly last season). Am I right in thinking he hails from Elsecar and that his father also played for that club? I hate to say this, but that's what I was told at a second XI game...

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Yorks vs Surrey CC pre match thread

September 11 2017, 12:30 PM 

Yes, Jack Shutt is from Barnsley and played for Elsecar. When he played his first Yorkshire second team game two years ago, the Elsecar club website congratulated him. I don't know about his father, but he is not related either to footballer Carl, or to cricketer Luke.
He is 20 years of age and about to enter his third year at Leeds University He has shown increasing potential with his off spin this season.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 11 2017, 12:33 PM 

Yes, just seen him the once, but he struck me as already our best off-spinner.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 11 2017, 12:39 PM 

"Jack Shutt up for challenge."

And, after the match, "Shutt closes the door on Surrey."

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 11 2017, 12:40 PM 

I think I was told Shutt's father was called Steve and was a wicketkeeper (?). It was a tallish chap who drove a grey car, possibly a Toyota. Nice man, shared a chocolate bar with me.
Until yesterday I thought I was a common-or-garden cricket enthusiast, but I'm coming to see myself (with apologies to Anais Nin) as a "Spy in the House of Cricket".

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 11 2017, 1:03 PM 

I would replace Brooks with Patterson in the tram mentioned in the second post. No real preference between the spinners: I don't think Rafiq is a threatening red ball bowler at all but I haven't seen enough of Carver with the red ball or any of Shutt to suggest whether either would be a better option.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 11 2017, 1:17 PM 

Thinking back to the Taunton game, when we won without our England players and also without Bresnan (paternity), Brooks (not selected) and Coad (rested, slight niggle), we should go for something similar.

Obviously Bresnan and Coad will play, but so should Patterson, who was superb at Taunton. Carver and Rafiq were both in the XI at Taunton, but it was Lyth who did the off-spinning and won the game for us (with Sidebottom) at the death.

So, for me, it's same top 7 as last week: Lyth, Marsh, Lees, Ballance, Leaning, Hodd, Bresnan - they all pick themselves, surely. Then Patterson, Coad and Sidebottom + Carver as second spinner.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 11 2017, 1:26 PM 

"I would replace Brooks with Patterson in the tram mentioned in the second post. "

Just the ticket, I'd say.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 11 2017, 1:30 PM 

Carver ahead of Rafiq ?

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 11 2017, 1:32 PM 

I'm with the team selected by Dave with the possibly exception of the second spinner. Carver has never really convinced me and I'm go with Rafiq or Shutt. I think 'they'll' go with Dave's 10 and Rafiq.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 11 2017, 1:36 PM 

Agree with DM re Lyth being our best off spinner, and also our second best after Rashid.

Lyth plus 1 more spinner is what we need, or the "tail" is much to long without Rashid and Plunkett at 7 & 8. Is Carver a better option than Rafiq. I think so and would go with

Lyth, Marsh, Lees, Ballance, Leaning, Hodd, Bresnan, Patterson, Coad, Carver, Siddy.

Of course, if Lyth does not play due to paternity duties, we are in trouble as we can then only play 1 spinner anyway or it weakens the batting even more.

From the Surrey OS

Here are five facts to be aware of ahead of this week’s match:

Yorkshire have not lost to Surrey once in their last nine encounters (W2 D7).
Surrey however have only tasted defeat to Yorkshire once in the last 19 home games played against them (W6 D12).
Nine of the last 10 games involving Surrey have ended in a draw (L1).
Ollie Pope (Surrey) registered his maiden first-class century in his last appearance (100* v Hampshire).
Four of the top five scoring batsmen in Division One play for these two clubs. Kumar Sangakkara (1086 runs), Rory Burns (847 runs) and Mark Stoneman (828 runs) for Surrey and Gary Ballance (827 runs) for Yorkshire.

No Surrey team news yet, but expect Sangakkarra & Stoneman to be back.

For those not going ------

There will be a live stream, including Mark Church’s commentary, on kiaoval.com with regular updates across the club’s social media channels.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 11, 2017 1:43 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Surrey squad

September 11 2017, 3:43 PM 

The full squad is:

Gareth Batty (c)
Rory Burns
Rikki Clarke
Sam Curran
Jade Dernbach
Ben Foakes (wk)
Stuart Meaker
Ryan Patel
Ollie Pope
Kumar Sangakkara
Mark Stoneman
Freddie van den Bergh
Amar Virdi

No Borthwick. Out of favour or injured??

(Login matthefish2002)

September 11 2017, 4:19 PM 

After taking a look down the Surrey squad I am not that confident this game.
Always enjoy seeing great players like Kumar Sangakkara but cant help feeling a bit jaded of watching him against Yorkshire last couple of seasons.

Will be down the Wednesday and Thursday of this game and while the forecast is not perfect we should get enough of a game to watch. Always enjoy going to the Oval even though I find London a bit overwhelming at times.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 11 2017, 4:45 PM 

On paper this looks a very strong batting lineup from Surrey and a useful bowling attack as well. The only advantage could be if stoneman n sangakarra are abit rusty. Stoneman hasn't got a decent score for a while and kumar bin playing t20 in the carribbean. However I think Patterson has to play over Brooks, the extra control could be crucial and like the above comments read - Brooks could go at over 4 an over and on this years form he's not offering much potency.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 11 2017, 4:57 PM 

Agree, it looks a very strong side, especially in the batting. 9 draws for them this season, and it looks like another one here. With Plunkett & Rashid missing, I don`t think our bowling attck is strong enough to get 20 wickets. Hopefully 13 points for us, and a Somerset loss against Lancashire.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk