<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day One)

September 12 2017, 11:20 AM 

Still no explanation about Coad's omission and Brooks inclusion? No breakthrough after 12 overs and it is looking very ominous.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Surrey vs Yorkshire at The Oval (day 1)

September 12 2017, 11:21 AM 

During the Scarborough Festival, Adam Lyth and his wife were guests of the YCCC Supporters' Association one evening. His wife stated that their baby was due on 9th. September, so it is already three days overdue. He will hardly be able to concentrate on cricket.

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 12 2017, 11:25 AM 

Always had the feeling if we were to get anything out of this match we'd have to bat for what seems like an eternity.

Surely someone is due a big innings.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 11:49 AM 

Spin after 19 overs . Interesting . Very rarely see Rashid before the 40th ....

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 11:53 AM 

Was hoping for maybe a couple of early wickets with the 10.30 start and the new ball which might have restricted them to only 500, but now........

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2017, 11:57 AM 

Me thinks we are dooooomed 🙁 Somerset likely to beat Lancs. at Taunton. Maybe early (for us) introduction of spin is result of Middlesex being docked points for slow over rate at the Oval?

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 12, 2017 12:03 PM

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 12 2017, 12:03 PM 

Me thinks we are dooooomed 🙁 Somerset likely to beat Lancs. at Taunton.

1) Even if Somerset win we are not doomed

2) In any event, how can we possibly say that Somerset will beat Lancs 90 minutes into a four day game!

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 12:09 PM 

I am sure Alibors posting was tongue in cheek.

as is mine plus a an awful lot of reverse physcology

400-1 at close of play?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 12, 2017 12:37 PM

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 12 2017, 12:11 PM 

Here we are again with lots of pessimistic doom and gloom comments after LESS than 2 hrs play on the first day.
Surrey have got off to a great start but anything can happen. How many times have we seen 2-4 wickets fall quickly so 100/0 can easily turn to 180/4.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 12 2017, 12:41 PM 

To add a degree of optimism, Lancs stuffed Somerset at Old Trafford. They're near the bottom of the table for reasons (as we are), and unreliable batting is the main reason, in Somerset's case.

Also, if they're put their faith in spin, Lancs can at least challenge them in this department, with four potential spinners in their side. (Though I would back the quality of Leach and Bess above Lancs's quantity.)

Middlesex wash-out is another plus for us

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 12 2017, 1:21 PM 

Having met Jack Brooks a number of times, he certainly doesn't strike me as the type of chap to "storm out" or cause any sort if unrest. A thoroughly nice bloke

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2017, 1:29 PM 

Leaving aside the "politics" I thought Jack Brooks bowled poorly at Scarborough whereas Coad was easily the most impressive of the Yorkshire seam quartet. I hope Coad that was not "left out" today as he is the future when our four seam bowling oldies retire. My tongue in cheek comment failed to bring wickets and Surrey are making hay in the sunshine.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 1:37 PM 

Source of the Jack Brookes 'storming out' statement. I didn't introduce it to the forum although I was told about it at Headingley on day 2 (effectively day 1) of the Middlesex match. Apparently it was reported in the Yorkshire Post although I cant confirm that.

Today looks really bad and I don't see a way out until we bat. Our batting will determine the game. Hopefully one of our better players, realistically Marsh, Ballance or Lees, can bat for a long time and we secure a draw.

Interesting that we've reverted to the 'fab four' bowling attack although unsure whether its by choice or necessity. Maybe time has moved on to far or the way they've been handled this year is making them ineffective, who knows. I'd suggest a combination of these two factors is at play.

Fingers crossed for the afternoon, I hope 210 - 5 at tea, I fear closer to 300 for 1 or 2.

CaravanShaker
(Login CaravanShaker)

September 12 2017, 1:37 PM 

Tom
(Login whiterosetom)

September 12 2017, 1:57 PM 

Get in Brooks!

The comeback is on.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 2:05 PM 

The annual Stoneman century against us again. Whether it was with Durham or now Surrey, it always happens against us.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 12 2017, 2:09 PM 

Brooks has found bounce where others have not, from both ends.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 12 2017, 2:26 PM 

The Yorkshire Post of 7 September has this from Chris Waters:

"After Yorkshire left out pace bowlers Jack Brooks and Steve Patterson from their final XI on Wednesday, along with batsman Tom Kohler-Cadmore, the signs were initially encouraging as Lyth and Marsh knuckled down early on."

Nothing about storming. But perhaps there was something in the paper edition. Or maybe in the Evening Post?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2017, 2:44 PM 

Alot of talk about Brooks.

Not surprisingly considering the NLOP fan boys. But isn't it Patto who is more likely to have taken Coad's spot.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 12, 2017 2:45 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 3:14 PM 

The original posting re Brooks was on the day 1 thread for the Yorks v Midds match. Probably another rumour or chinese whisper.

---------

T
(Login TMAC10)
Brooks
September 6 2017, 12:29 PM

Jack Brooks stormed out of Headingley this morning after not been picked.
Rumour is Lancashire are interested.

Brathwaite will be our overseas next year if he impresses as he's available all year apparently.

--------

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk