<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login Fozzie1973)

Re: Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day One)

September 12 2017, 6:23 PM 

we might get 600 if they give us 4 innings

Gary do you think appointing Gale as coach was a good idea, plenty on here didn't & they have been proved right

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 6:34 PM 

Gary - please take your rose coloured glasses off. None of the comments on this thread are either moronic or offensive, just a reflection of how the day has gone. We have had a very bad day.

Do you think we have had a good day?

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 12, 2017 6:35 PM

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2017, 6:36 PM 

Relax Gary, you're giving far too much power to some of the comments. As for Gale, I said at the this was an absurd appointment which is proving to be correct.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 6:39 PM 

I find it rather absurd when Gale appears to be to blame because the bowlers are getting old, or appear to be on the basis of todays game.

And just to clarify. My earlier post was because i did not agree with poster who described the people who appointed AG as " morons" . His words not mine.

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 12, 2017 6:43 PM

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 6:53 PM 

Gary in my opinion appointing somebody with no coaching experience to take over from one of the best coaches Yorkshire have ever had was a decision made only by morons.

They had plenty of time to scout round and identify the best possible available coach to carry on Gillespies work. They took the cheap, safe option who would not rock the boat.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2017, 6:57 PM 

Such as who?

I was prepared to back the management when they went with Gale for continuity on back of our success but sadly we need decisiveness and change and not continuity and Gale hasn't provided this so we continue to get what we got in the previous game rather than something different.

I have some sympathy as it's like following Fergy

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 7:01 PM 

So you are saying that had JG still been the coach Surrey would not be 400/3 tonight ? And that had JG still been coach we would not have been blown away by Amir at Scarborough ? If you are indeed telling me that then please enlighten me as to exactly what JG would have done differently .

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 12, 2017 7:03 PM

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 7:07 PM 

That's why you scout round mucker to identify the right coach

Would Manchester United appoint somembody who has never coached/managed at any level to succeed fergy?? You can't even attempt to defend the decision. We've gone from final day title challenger to a relegation threatened side in less than a year. We also failed in the T20 and one day cup. Three massive failures is no fluke.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 12 2017, 7:11 PM 

I think many supporters on here did not regard Gale as a great captain or having tactical awareness but we had Jason Gillespie. However, on the captain's retirement it was a very strange and inward looking decision to appoint Gals as the new head Coach. Indeed, one wonders what skills and qualifications he has for the role and whether he was too close to some of the senior players. It was surely a time for the appointment of a proven successor to Jason, preferably from elsewhere but with White Rose pedigree.
Whilst we would all wish Andrew Gale a good retirement, it will be surely be time for him to step down as coach at the end of this season. There is also a case for a clean sweep as Martin Moxon shows signs of weariness and a new managerial/coaching set up seems desirable to restore Yorkshire to leaders in CC cricket and achieve success in one day cricket (ie finals and trophies)
There is no doubt we have some good established players and up and coming young ones but we need better leadership both on and off the field. For example, we keep chopping and changing overseas imports, which is unsettling and not helping performance.
Although we have grasped a chance to sign young Brathwaite for last two matches, it is asking great deal to expect him to deliver and we do have Lyth, Lees, K-C and Brook on the books and openers!

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 7:15 PM 

So please answer my question ? To summaries it : what would JG or any other coach of your choice done to counter Amir at Scarborough ?

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 12 2017, 7:19 PM 

Have to agree with Gary, some of the comments on this thread are, well, let's be kind, just "not cricket".

It would take a improbable set of results for us to be relegated, it just will not happen.

I'm quite pleased we have Warwickshire at home though😉

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 7:28 PM 

The "Amir incident" was not a one off

We got demolished against Somerset and Middlesex

We also should of lost against Hampshire away and Somerset when we won by 1 run.

We should be relegated already

If you want to disagree and prove a point please don't bring a knife to a gunfight Mr Wilson

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 12 2017, 7:29 PM 

Well Gary, for one, I don't think we would have lost three cc games in a row under Gillespie. I am also aware that some of our batting frailties were evident particularly towards the latter end of Gillespie's tenure. Maybe he chose the right time to leave but I also feel he would have eventually turned it around. In regards to Gale, it may seem unfair but he hardly seems to be an inspirational or innovative coach, but maybe this will change given time but then again perhaps not

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2017, 7:34 PM 

Would JG have made a difference?

Yes of course he would. Cricket is as much mental application as it is skill with a bat or ball. It's about confidence and it's about the right selection and acquisition of players. Dizzy was great in all these areas with a proven track record. He turned around lost souls like Plunkett and he also was a disciplinarian when players did not meet expectations like Robinson.

Does Gale offer all of this? Clearly not. Are the players suddenly solely to blame for poor decision making, loss of confidence and wrong tactics? Not solely. Much is determined before they set foot on the pitch.

Man Utd may never have appointed someone with no coaching experience as you say but they did appoint someone most people thought was the ideal choice. And that didn't work out, or the next one. My comparison was not about inexperience, it was about the risk and difficulty of appointing anyone after a legendary coach has moved on.

We could have appointed Moores, Giles or Frabrace if available but none were and they may not have done better even with experience. When we appointed Byas, Clarke and even Dizzy were they experienced, proven and the obvious choice? Some people have short selective memories with the benefit of hindsight.

Yours
Mucker.....

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 12, 2017 7:36 PM

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 7:42 PM 

Haha good counter argument mucker

I agree with some of your points and I agree hindsight is a wonderful thing but regardless of what happens i.e. Relegation do you want gale and moxon around next season?? It was a bad appointment at the time and it still is now. That's all I'm saying on the matter unless Gary wants to talk about "amir" again

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2017, 7:44 PM 

There was plenty questioning the Gale appointment at the time. Hardly hindsight.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 7:45 PM 

Well we did actually lose our last 2 games under JG including Somerset at Headingley which in the end cost the title.

(Login Tyke1950)

September 12 2017, 7:50 PM 

Our ageing attack was exposed on an Oval road.
We have experienced some misfortune - the temporary withdrawal of Adam Lyth, the loss of a crucial toss (we seldom seem to have had the best of conditions this year) and the injury to Rafiq.
In my opinion we made a mistake by omitting Coad, who, unless injured, should have played - probably instead of Patterson.

Tomorrow, it seems likely that Surrey will score 500 at least and bat us completely out of the game. I suspect that Surrey's attack will expose Yorkshire's batting frailties and we will struggle to match or even approach their score. Heavy legged, out of form batsmen often crumble in the face of a sprightly attack.

We need to confront the probability that this game will yield very few points and leave us closer than ever to relegation.
Our salvation may be that Warwickshire have little to play for and Essex may have lost their edge after winning the Championship, as will be the case by the time we play them.

There's a lot can happen in the time left but a spell in Division Two is a very real possibility.

Heads may roll. Some players may vote with their feet.
A stormy Winter ahead.

Please Yorkshire, make me look like Cassandra tomorrow.

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

September 12 2017, 7:51 PM 

Things look hopeless at the moment. Gale has to be replaced in the winter. We need coaching urgently. Particularly as next season we will have to blood 2/3 inexperienced bowlers (probably in division 2)

Kevin Owens
(Login kevinowens)

September 12 2017, 8:41 PM 

I admire Gary's defence of Gale. It makes you wonder if the guy behind the name is actually Gale himself! Haha.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk