<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

Re: Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day One)

September 12 2017, 9:32 PM 

Thankyou sir for your admiration, tongue in cheek though it may have been . I can assure you i am not he . I have more hair for a start! I just find a lot of the moaning about AG on here to be very unfair . It is very easy to say that he is to blame for the problems which we obviously have .
But i continually pose the question to my friend Mr Smith about the Scarborough game and if the outcome would have been different had we had a different coach and he seems reluctant to give me a straight answer .

So lets consider today . We lose the toss on a good wicket and have to bowl against 3 of the leading run scorers in the division . They end the day 400/3 and once again we have to sack the coach and , for good measure those who appointed him . So , once again , what would a "better" coach have done differently ?

I know i am pretty much in a minority of 1 on this and i do take on board some of the points made by others but i do not think AG deserves the stick he is getting .

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 9:42 PM 

"What would a better coach have done differently"

Not leave out our leading wicket taker and best bowler for starters.

Why? Is he injured? No explanations anywhere.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 12, 2017 9:44 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2017, 9:45 PM 

If the matches would have played out the same regardless of coach. There wouldn't be any point in having one in the first place.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 12 2017, 9:58 PM 

That would be our leading wicket taker Coad. Who has come from nowhere this season to be leading wicket taker . Presumably with no help or encouragement at all from our rubbish coach ?
Who would you have left out ? Brooks presumably although hindsight might say Patto.

Dwight , my point is that AG took particular stick after the Essex game and that nothing would have changed on those 2 days whoever was in charge . I am not being sarcastic but i was there and i do not think a different coach saying "look Tom K-C , when Amir fires in that fast yorker then block it with your bat" would have made a lot of difference.

This message has been edited by garywilson2 on Sep 12, 2017 10:05 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 12 2017, 10:05 PM 

Coad was rested according to the OS.

He has played for 2 days in the last month.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Not playing

September 12 2017, 10:32 PM 

Perhaps Coad would have played and maybe he would have taken a cheap 5 for before lunch and turned the game.

Perhaps Coad would have played and bowled himself into the ground, made little difference and been of no use for the next very important game.

He is lest we forget still a very young man and needs to be managed.

I wasn't there, I haven't seen the pitch but when you're the visiting team and you opt for the toss, in September, with a 10.30 start the pitch has to be a belter.

I know we are all disappointed with the score but lets see how things end up.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 12 2017, 10:41 PM 

Just to clear one thing up. Gillespie was not an experienced coach when we signed him. He'd done a bit of coaching for a Zimbabwean domestic side which is the equivalent of minor counties cricket at best. Comparable with the commercial coaching Gale has done as a sideline plus his captaincy experience (of which JG had none?) I would have thought.

What JG did bring to the table was his vast international experience playing for a great side,something that Gale does not have.

His other very obvious qualities became apparent and it became clear that we played a blinder in signing him. However in its own way it was quite a gamble.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 11:10 PM 

Mr Wilson the Essex game was a fantastic performance by amir but i can't give an answer to a hypothetical question I can only give you my opinion. However I do believe that we would of put up more of a fight though, on the back of consecutive defeats Gillespie would of demanded some pride for the badge and I think he would of got it. It may not of bin enough to get a result but as I mentioned previously we already had disgraceful and unacceptable performances against Middlesex and Somerset.

Gillespie was a gamble when appointed but he had done previous coaching in the IPL and let's remember he took over when we were languishing in div 2. We couldn't get any lower.

Listen this could be the making of gale but if we get relegated then there's no way him and moxon can carry on

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 12 2017, 11:12 PM 

Just been relegated when we appointed JG. As gambles go it was low risk with a potential high reward.
Gale on the otherhand was more like putting your whole bankroll on the line with a marginal hand.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 12, 2017 11:14 PM

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 13 2017, 12:28 AM 

Regarding the earlier suggestion of there was no alternative replacement for Jason Gillespie, I beg to differ.

Paul Nixon publically displayed a keen interest on twitter of the Yorkshire Head Coach role and led Jamaica to 2016 Caribbean Premier League success. I have no doubt he would have done the same with Yorkshire in this years T20 Blast.

Dougie Brown was another coach available and he led Warwickshire to Blast and Royal London success.

If the Yorkshire think-tank really wanted to appoint a Head Coach who can oversee the transition of the current squad, then they would have gone for Northamptonshire's Stuart Ripley (a Leeds lad for those who don't like outsiders). Probably the most under-rated coach in English cricket with two T20 Blast titles and a County Championship promotion with skeleton resources at his disposal.

Declaring an interest for Paul Farbrace and then appointing Andrew Gale is the equivlaent of wanting to buy a Land Rover Discovery, but leaving the forecourt with a Dacia Duster.

(Login tbsteve)

September 13 2017, 3:50 AM 

We had an ex-Australian test bowler - and our attack looked unbeatable. This year, we are struggling to bowl sides out. Yes, the attack is getting older. Yes, they don't have scoreboard pressure to help them. But also, they don't have a former international fast bowler to turn to for advice or fire them up before games. What would JG have done differently? Maybe got more out of the attack and given the batters more confidence. But it is all hypothetical as we can never know what would have happened. But saying JG would have made no difference is just burying your head in the sand.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2017, 7:23 AM 

If Coad was "rested" it was a ludicrous decision. He has been our best wicket taker all,season despite not being given new ball. There are 3 matches remaining and then CC players can have a long rest. He is a young man raring to go and a fringe possible even for Ashes squad. Instead of including him, Gale opted for his four ageing playing day pals and we see the consequences which are very likely now to get us relegated. Ironically, we could even lose Coad and others to ambitious first division county.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 13 2017, 7:26 AM 

All black or white as is too often the case. Might it be possible that the appointment of Andrew Gale could have been a mistake but not a stupid one, and certainly not 'moronic'. To apply the Man Utd./Fergie comparison, where some have argued there's no way they would have appointed an inexperienced coach, I suspect Ryan Giggs was seriously considered and would not have been regarded as a 'moronic' decision.

I wasn't in favour of Gale's appointment, and it may be necessary to at least move him sideways, but he will always deserve more respect than some posters seem willing to show him.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2017, 7:54 AM 

Point of information. Gale is not solely responsible for selecting the team. It is a three man selection committee.

Ladyfan
(Login oldladyfan)

Very disappointed

September 13 2017, 7:55 AM 

In 60 years of following Yorkshire, I have seen many poor desicions and some this year can be added. Did we have the wrong overseas players and is this due to finances? I will not add to the team selection/ coach discussion. Stoneman is playing and not Joe and JB who very likely need to rest ready for the next England matches. Have the Kolpak players for 2018 been approached?
Surrey got Sangakarra, Aaron Finch, 2 good players from Durham - we used to get more experienced players - what happened?
Good luck to Yorkshire today.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 13 2017, 8:01 AM 

Stoneman is not in the England OD set up and was thus allowed to play . Neither in fact is Cooke but he was not released to play for Essex but that is by the by .

Our overseas signings this season were i think widely regarded as good ones at the time but have not contributed as much as we all hoped .

We had Finch a year or so back and he too was widely regarded as a relative failure .

Idle man . Spot on .

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 13 2017, 8:04 AM 

Disappointing day yesterday I said after half a dozen overs that we seemed unable to do any damage to the Surrey bats men. They really bossed the game & Sangrakka made it all look so easy. Other than that it was good to meet up with friends at a lovely ground bathed in sunshine. I'm still trying to get my head around the decision to 'rest' Ben Coad.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2017, 8:06 AM 

If we accept that Surrey got the cheque book out and bought better players. Only one win in the championship this year and only a few points ahead of us in the championship doesn't seem a great return on investment.

(Login dpressed)

September 13 2017, 8:08 AM 

This looks a flat pitch (well until we bat) so would it be worth flogging Coad who probably wouldn't make that much difference. He'll now be fit & raring to go against Warwickshire where we should have a good chance of victory

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 13 2017, 8:12 AM 

Well why not rest Siddy and Plunkett as well then on the same basis?

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk