<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Relegation - Good or Bad

September 12 2017 at 6:30 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Relegation is now looking a real possibility, but would it really be such a bad thing if it did happen. It would give us the chance to re-build, as we appear to be out of our depth in Division One. It also gives us supporters some new grounds to visit.

Siddy retires in three weeks time and the rest of the fearsome 4, that gave us the best bowling attack in the Division for the last few seasons (Bresnan, Brooks & Patto) are a spent and ageing force that carry now as much potency as a kids toy gun.

Add in Plunkett & Willeys non-appearances, when away with England or injured (Willey - 2 matches in the CC, Plunkett - 1/2 a match at Scarborough plus 1 last week) and our bowling next season looks even weaker.

Throw in Rashid missing almost 1/2 the season and we are also absent of a decent spin option.

I assume Fisher & Coad will be opening the bowling for us next season, with who else is anyones guess, as no-one from the seconds are shouting out for selection.

If we do avoid relegation this season, it is a certainty next season. Relegation could give the coaching team the kick up the backside they need. Avoiding relegation will just breed complacancy and then things will get even worse next season.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

Re: Relegation - Good or Bad

September 12 2017, 6:41 PM 

It would be embarrassing and humiliating for the short term at least. Whether in the long term it turns out to be a good or bad thing depends entirely on what happens thereafter: how long we stay in Div 2, and if we do bounce back, whether we can hold our own in Div 1.

I'll leave it at that until conformation one way or the other.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 12 2017, 6:44 PM 

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think we need to drop down and hopefully blood some youngsters with the pressure off. We are at the stage where tough decisions have to be made. The bowling attack needs to be built around coad and we need to get another fit, hungry fast bowler to replace Brooks, Patterson and Bresnan. I don't know if there is anybody in the 2nds academy who could come in apart from fisher and Waite maybe??

First priority is the removal of the coaching staff and to get a minimum of 3 new players in which would hopefully contain an opening bowler and top order 1000 + runs batsman.

Everything in sport goes in cycles and you can't afford to be sentimental when performances don't warrant it.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 12 2017, 6:52 PM 

Relegation is a disaster especially if Lancashire are in div 1 as my red rose friends would constantly remind me.

We should not be accepting relegation as a chance to rebuild and blood players. We should be wondering why some players who have shown div 1 ability are now struggling.

DB Close would be turning in his grave at this even being debated! And Fred would be mumbling that he didn't know what we were going on about

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 12 2017, 7:07 PM 

Having watched numerous struggling Yorkshire sides for most of my life, expect for six great years, perhaps I have lower expectations...

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 12 2017, 7:21 PM 

Honestly, relegation just will not happen. Ok we need to win one more game, but weather permitting, it will come v Warwickshire. Let's not forget, there are, at the moment. THREE teams below us

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 12 2017, 7:46 PM 

Relegation, I'm afraid, will probably happen - we may be unable to make up ground lost to Somerset given the likely weather at the end of the season - and while it will not be the end of the world in itself, it will seem like it, given that it's difficult to see where the next generation of top players is coming from. We will need some strong and decisive action in the winter to start to turn the corner. At the moment it looks like we're entering a dark place. A new face on the coaching staff might invigorate things if we choose carefully, but both batting and bowling look fragile, don't they?

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 12 2017, 8:19 PM 

It may be difficult to see where the next generation of players may be coming from, but who here saw that Ben Coad would take over 40 div 1 wickets at an average of 19 at this point last year?

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 12 2017, 9:18 PM 

The last time we were relegated, I said it would probably be a good thing and it was. It allowed the team that won the championship in consecutive years to form and get up a head of steam (though the weather messed up the season in Div 2 and nearly deprived us of promotion).
Since 2009, Notts, Warwickshire and Middlesex have all won the championship after recently spending time in Div 2. Essex are about to do the same. Winning is a habit and it's easier to acquire it in the second tier.
There's a repeated view on this forum that players will leave if the club is relegated. While I remember players leaving Worcestershire several years ago because the wage bill was having to be drastically cut (Batty, Solanki, Moore, Davies etc.) and a similar thing happened at Durham last year, I can barely remember a county losing players because of relegation. The one player we have lost this year, Rhodes, left to join a county that was clearly headed for the second division. Köhler-Cadmore must have known he was leaving a county that had every chance of promotion. I know players sometimes move to "get on the England radar", but all Yorkshire's potential England players are on the England radar already and big scores or lots of wickets in Div 2 aren't going to harm them.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

September 12 2017, 10:51 PM 

Bad.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 12 2017, 10:58 PM 

there are advantages to having to play in division 2. it gives time and space for a young side to regroup. it gives travelling supporters new and sometimes more attractive venues to visit. are the number of matches played the same in div 2? i would much prefer to avoid relegation, but i would not despair if it happened.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

September 12 2017, 10:58 PM 

Deserved.

This message has been edited by BrickyardBoy on Sep 12, 2017 10:58 PM

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2017, 7:31 AM 

It can never be good to get relegated from top tier for Yorkshire who should always aspire to he County Champions. There are no excuses for our failings, even with 5 of our players taken by England. With decent management and a credible coach this season we should have been challenging Essex. Having watched every ball of Scarborough debacle, it was plain to see the differences.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 13 2017, 7:40 AM 

Agree Alibor.

At the Essex match I saw Silberwood spend every ball of the afternoon session on day 1 chatting with some spectators he knew in the stand to the right of the pavilion near me. He kept an eye on the game but he also happily chatted to others around him. Relaxed and in control with most of his work for the match already done beforehand. The time you see gale outside the safety of the pa ilion area he is giving catching practice. Two very different styles and approaches and whilst having Amir and Harmer at your disposal is one thing, creating a culture and environment to perform well is another

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 13 2017, 7:47 AM 

I think we need to look at the season Notts have had as a benchmark to relegation

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 13 2017, 8:13 AM 

You could look at Sussex too. They went down unexpectedly with a good squad and they're still there.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 13 2017, 8:29 AM 

Although if you saw Gale spending the afternoon reminiscing with spectators rather than talking to his players you can only imagine the criticism he'd get on here!

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 13 2017, 9:42 AM 

Here we go again . At Scarborough it was plain to see that Essex had a top class fired up fast bowler in helpful conditions and we had T K-C who is just making his way into the side and young Brook batting at 3 and 4. Marsh was indisposed , perhaps his experience might have made a difference .
Half of Silverwoods job was done for him by the team we were forced to put out and the fact everyone in the ground knew we would be batting first.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 13 2017, 10:07 AM 

Exactly, Gary. I think you are talking a great deal of sense.
I'm not saying Yorkshire would immediately bounce back up, by the way. You have to make some changes to turn things around. Essex languished in div 2 for a long time -
not least because half their squad seemed more interested in playing in other competitions. I don't think Yorkshire would get sucked into that sort of situation.

Eastriding
(Login eastriding)

Bad

September 13 2017, 11:09 AM 

Every year in the second division is a year wasted IMO and we've struggled to get out of that division at times, there is no divine right to being in the top tier, that right needs to be earned, its probably easier to stay there than get back in

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk