<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Relegation - Good or Bad

September 13 2017, 11:39 AM 

Bizarrely, there is of course, a financial benefit to finishing top of Div. 2 over 6th in Div. 1.

If we were to be relegated then it might be ideal for someone like Will Rhodes to establish themselves in the team.............oh hang on.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 13 2017, 11:48 AM 

People accepting relegation because they as supporters get to visit different grounds is truly baffling.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2017, 11:53 AM 

Sorry Gary but I do not agree that we did all we could at Scarborough. We selected two quicks who were not fully match fit but left out Patterson, we did not use Coad well, we never gave Rashid a bowl until too late and our batting order was wrong and was awful except for one good innings each from Lyth and Leaning. Our onfield lack of enthusiasm was totally outshone by the Essex team spirit. Even so, we had a chance to recover by reducing them to near our score but poor tactics allowed their captain to recover their first innings. Yes their overseas player bowled well but our most of our batsmen contributed to their own downfall. Bresnan tried as acting captain but over bowled himself and was not inspirational on the field with some poor field placements - we seemed to be overawed and waiting to suffer our fate 😟

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 13 2017, 11:55 AM 

Would Somerset rather have "wasted" a couple of years in the second division and won the championship or stayed in the first division and never won it?
When I chatted briefly with Ryan Sidebottom at Worcester, it was clear that the thing he was proudest of was winning the championship with so many players away in the England set-up. I think he has matters in perspective there and the 2015 win was a very improbable occurrence - after being six players light for the first quarter of the season. To challenge so well in 2016 despite the further "loss" of Bairstow was also remarkable. I don't think you can expect a team to keep challenging in these circumstances without some kind of rebuilding cycle. The likes of Browne and Lawrence at Essex weren't being tested and pressured the way such batsmen as Lees and Leaning have been over the last few years.

peter
(Login wakefieldfan)

coach

September 13 2017, 12:05 PM 

How can you have a coach to the first team who could not hold a place in the first team when he was playing Richard pyrah that is .

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 13 2017, 12:08 PM 

I don't think Farbrace, Baylis, Arthur and several more top coaches were ever established county players so not sure the link is there.

Agree with comment above re visiting different grounds. You can do this by waiting for those teams to get promoted to div 1 just as easily

Alex
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

NO to relegation

September 13 2017, 1:09 PM 

Relegation should never be acceptable to a Yorkshire team. We have won the title twice as often as the next best team and being in the second tier means we can't win the County Championship and add to our proud record. Winning the CC is part of tour Yorkshire identity.

We may also end up stuck in division two for several years which will not help in selling memberships, or promoting fan interest in the Championship.

As well it could lead to defections by players who want to play for a winner and/or have aspirations to play for England and want the much higher media exposure Div I gets. (Rashid immediately comes to mind.)

Getting demoted is the worst of all worlds and should not even be considered an option.

Alex

Howden73
(Login howden73)

September 13 2017, 1:12 PM 

I'd rather finish 6th in Div One than top of Div Two.

Lancs won nearly every match at a canter in 2013 and it was boring with Ashwell Prince and Simon Katich gorging themselves on sub-standard atttacks.

The likes of Chapple and Kyle Hogg were far too good for most Div 2 batsmen (Essex 20 all out at Chelmsford!!).

Very little gained being in Div Two.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 13 2017, 1:32 PM 

"Winning the CC is part of tour Yorkshire identity."
I'm sure we've all made it through the last couple of years without any noticeable loss of identity.

September 13 2017, 1:59 PM 

Internal civil wars are also part of our identity. I can live without one of those year on year thanks.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

September 13 2017, 11:59 PM 

I'd never want to see Yorkshire relegated, but, having given it some thought, I reckon we might need it. I think as a team we need to start fresh, move on aging players such as Siddy, Brooks and Plunkett. Despite the tone of some of my posts I'm actually quite optimistic about our team's medium to long term future, as I think there is still plenty of young talent waiting to break through, we've already seen Coad do it this year, there's also Brook, TKC, Waite, Fisher and Carver waiting in the wings. I think Lees and Leaning are still young enough for decent things to be expected of them too. There is next to no chance of us having a good Division 1 season next year with all the transition that needs to be made, so it's probably easier done in the time out zone that is Division 2.

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2017, 11:30 AM 

However promotion/relegation goes, I shall be slightly glum if I don't get to see us at Lord's. If we do go down, I would have the chance to go to Canterbury (or Beckenham or Tunbridge Wells) and Hove. I don't see myself going to Nottingham or Worcester from London. If we stay up, I hope we will be more competitive next year, but it's not easy to see: Rome wasn't built in a day.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 14 2017, 11:51 AM 

I don't think relegation is something we should positively wish for, but I would be reasonably relaxed about it. Re-building doesn't necessarily mean dumping everyone over the age of 28 either. Brooks, Patterson and Hodd are all 33, Plunkett is 32. With relegation, they would necessarily be slipping out of the picture a little, but the first two could probably be replaced from within the club and there might be time for a replacement for Hodd to come through the ranks (Read?).

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 14 2017, 12:43 PM 

"If we do go down, I would have the chance to go to Canterbury (or Beckenham or Tunbridge Wells) and Hove. I don't see myself going to Nottingham or Worcester from London."

After my experiences of the last few days, I'd be the first to admit that I haven't entirely being paying attention recently, but aren't Notts. and Worcs. going to be playing in the first division next year?

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Relegation - Good or Bad ?

September 14 2017, 2:55 PM 

When we won the championship two years running, I recall a great deal of hyperbole emanating from the club about establishing a dynasty to keep us at the top for ten years.

"Pride cometh....."

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 14 2017, 3:07 PM 

Much the same was said in 2001 after we won it then. Relegated 2002.

The downsides of relegation:
1. We can't win the County Championship. You've got to be in it to win it.
2. Having to visit Kent, the dump at the end of the universe.
3. No Roses matches, no Taunton.

The pluses:
1. A chance to go back to basics and redevelop team.
2. Potential trips to Durham, Worcester, Northampton, Leicester, Bristol and - best of all - Sussex.

Let's stay up, please.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 14 2017, 3:55 PM 

Relegation to Division 2 would be a backward step and Yorkshire risk losing white ball England players who want to maintain their test aspirations by playing in Division 1, therefore losing quality players for the T20 Blast.

The likes of Kohler-Cadmore, Leaning and Lees are not going to learn much from batting against Division 2 bowling attacks. Of the 2nd string bowling attack - Carver, Fisher and Coad show they are capable of bowling in Division 1 whilst Shaw will be a year wiser after another stint of regular red ball cricket with Gloucestershire.

I'd rather have a transitional period bumbling between 3rd and 6th in Division 1 than yo-yoing between divisions.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 14 2017, 4:25 PM 

"... to maintain their test aspirations by playing in Division 1"
Is that really how it works? The last time Yorkshire played in the second division was in 2012. When did Joe Root make his England debut? December 2012. Is Chris Woakes likely to fall out of the England reckoning when Warwickshire are relegated? I appreciate that these things are frequently said, but does the evidence bear them out? For example, Jake Ball seems still to be ahead of Steve Finn in the England pecking order, despite Notts being in Div 2 and Middlesex in Div 1.
Just to add the obvious: Moeen Ali was first selected for England from Division 2.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Sep 14, 2017 4:34 PM

September 14 2017, 4:30 PM 

"Relegation to Division 2 would be a backward step and Yorkshire risk losing white ball England players"

What is this based on? Of our 3 white ball England players, Rashid seems to be out of favour whilst Willey and Plunkett have struggled to even make our 4 day team this year. They're so far down the England red ball pecking order I don't think it matters which division they're playing in!

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2017, 5:41 PM 

Dewsburian, yes but that was my selfish point: if we stay up and Middx go down, I 'lose' venue options: if we go down I will have more options. Unless we and Middx stay up in which case no change. I shall know soon enough!

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk