<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Your Favourite player

September 14 2017, 9:47 AM 

Colin Cowdrey for his grace and delicacy despite being a biggish man, Ted Dexter (though I didn't see nearly enough of him), Tom Graveney, despite fallibility, and Sobers, Eddie Barlow, Clive Lloyd (from the rest of the world side 1970); and latterly my near-contemporary David Gower. And Leicestershire dasher Brian Davison. Also a word for the buccaneering Kapil Dev and my all-time favourite spinners Bishan Bedi and Derek Underwood. Oh, and Greenidge and Haynes.
And the great Alan Knott. And, yes, Geoff Boycott. And Adam Gilchrist. And I think I should add Joe Root.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Favourite Players

September 14 2017, 10:13 AM 

Fascinating question. We could, probably, discuss this for days. So many different choices. Haven't counted but how many different players mentioned already? For me, of the players I have watched, it would have to be the great F.S. Trueman, closely followed by Sir Leonard Hutton and Geoffrey Boycott.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 14 2017, 10:44 AM 

Outside Yorkshire, Graeme Pollock, and for reasons not limited to cricket, Basil D'Oliveira.

risep
(Login risep)

favourite players

September 14 2017, 11:15 AM 

Fred, first and foremost. John Hampshire and Neil Harvey for batsmen; Oh and Barry Richards whom, sadly, I saw annihilate Yorks in Hull when I was a student

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 14 2017, 8:53 PM 

Good question.

Strangely it was Alan Knott when I was young. I really didn't like Geoffrey. As a young boy on the western terrace with my dad when he made THAT hundred, I must have been the only one who didn't stand up and applaud. I thought he played for himself. Once a rebel......

For Yorkshire, difficult one, probably Darren Gough

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 14 2017, 10:25 PM 

i enjoyed watching darren lehmann as much as anyone.

Waddo
(Login WaddoClive)

September 15 2017, 10:42 AM 

My favourite player has always been Ken Taylor, mainly as a result of my father's influence. (He went to the same school as Ken.). We would go to watch Yorkshire, according to my dad, just to watch Ken Taylor field! Of course, Ken Taylor played for both Yorkshire and Huddersfield Town - something that was beyond a young boy's dreams

Tyke83
(Login Tyke83)

September 15 2017, 11:05 AM 

Amongst currently active players, my favourite would have to be Jonny Bairstow. But as a kid in the nineties, it was usually the touring sides that captured my imagination as England were terrible. Happy memories of the skill of Waqar in '92 and spending hours bowling (rubbish) leg spin pretending to be Shane Warne.

Irving08
(Login Irving08)

Favourites

September 15 2017, 12:57 PM 

Brian Lara, Ryan Sidebottom.

Irving08
(Login Irving08)

September 15 2017, 1:00 PM 

Brian Lara, Ryan Sidebottom.

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

September 15 2017, 1:15 PM 

Graham Stevenson.Was then,still is.
Favourite current player: Tim Bresnan
Favourite non-Yorks: Imran Khan (from nowhere near Ponty!)

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2017, 1:20 PM 

True Nick.

But Chris Silverwood is!

Shaun
(Login shaunm-a)

Your Favourite Player

September 15 2017, 4:02 PM 

If I am permitted a little indulgence; as in each category I can't decide between two players.
So the two players that I wished I'd seen play were Mr Trueman and Mr Boycott.
The two Yorkshire players I enjoyed watching were Mr Gough and Mr D Lehmann. And of the current YCCC players for me it would be Mr Lyth and Mr J.Bairstow

spanishnick
(Login Spanishnick)

September 15 2017, 4:10 PM 

And didnt chris silverwood do well today?
good for him.He could really shift the ball on occasions- out of hand or off the bat.
I still have one of his one=day shirts somewhere.Will hang onto it, as its more likely than ever now that he'll return as coach at some point.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

September 15 2017, 4:54 PM 

Ian Botham first and then later it would have been Wasim Akram even though he played for Lancashire as well!

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 16 2017, 11:33 AM 

All time favourite has to be Sir Geoff.

The player that I would loved to have seen play is Wilfred Rhodes.

Favourite current player is Jonny Bairstow.

On the flip side, the player I hate the most is Kevin Pieterson.

This message has been edited by yorkie1863 on Sep 16, 2017 11:37 AM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 16 2017, 11:50 AM 

Growing up, Michael Vaughan. Of current players, Jonny Bairstow. Of current players who actually get to play for Yorkshire, I most enjoy watching Adam Lyth.

I most enjoy watching batsmen, and all of the above have the somehow enchanting quality of making it look so easy when on form whilst equally giving the impression that they could give it away at any moment; none arouse the same sense of permanence and inevitability of making runs that someone like Joe Root does, which I think makes them more endearing to watch.

Of non-Yorkshire players, Pietersen is probably the most thrilling player I have watched a lot of, while for very different reasons I have always liked Collingwood.

WR_Metcalfe
(Login WR_Metcalfe)

September 16 2017, 4:44 PM 

Matthew Hoggard for me.

Anthony Rowe
(Login tonyinsiam)

Favourite player

September 16 2017, 5:38 PM 

Yes, WR, Hoggy a good selection.Wholehearted and Yorkshire through and through.I seem to remember a statistical study (yes, I know they can 'prove' most things) whereby Hoggy came out top of a list of Test Match bowlers. This particular study allotted a certain number of points , say 10 for an opener's wicket down to 1 for a tailender etc. Ie. the higher the batsman batted the more points to the bowler. Given the number of wickets that Murali (800+), Warne(700+) and Hoggy(200)took it does seem strange. Interesting , nevertheless.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 17 2017, 12:31 AM 

Originally fell in love with England and Graham Thorpe was my hero. What a grinder. Valued his wicket so much. Tick over job.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk