<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Your Favourite player

September 13 2017 at 8:56 PM
Kevin Owens  (Login kevinowens)

Just a light hearted question. Who was your favourite player growing up? For me Adam Gilchrist the way he played with freedom was amazing. He brought genuine joy to me in my teens and twenties. Also had the pleasure to see him play in the flesh. One player I wished I'd seen play was Michael Holding. What a bowler.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: Your Favourite player

September 13 2017, 9:05 PM 

Sir Viv Richards.

(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 13 2017, 9:09 PM 

Geoff Boycott.

Best player I've seen Viv Richards.

(Login matthefish2002)

September 13 2017, 9:12 PM 

Ian Botham my childhood cricketing hero.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 13 2017, 9:15 PM 

Born in the late 80s and from sheffield so Michael Vaughan obvious choice and Darren Lehmann

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Comic book hero

September 13 2017, 9:19 PM 

Edward Ralph Dexter. He just seemed to be able to do anything.

First cricketer I can remember who looked like he was enjoying himself.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 13 2017, 9:36 PM 

Robin Smith. What a ferocious cutter of the ball.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 13 2017, 9:52 PM 

Favourite Yorkshire/England player - Sir Geoffrey Boycott
Favourite overseas player - Sir Garfield Sobers
Favourite sub continent player. - Sachin Tendulkar
Favourite Australasian player - Sir Donald Bradman

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 13 2017, 9:59 PM 

An impossible question for an old timer.

Of all our county opponents I was excited most by Clive Lloyd. Scintillating when in his pomp. But then again.....

Dozens of other wonderful, eccentric, lovable players spring to mind for a host of different reasons. Books have been written about this sort of thing.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 13 2017, 10:18 PM 

My favourites changed over time, but were relatively banal choices. Trueman was definitely the first, with May as the favourite batsman. Boycott supplanted Trueman as top Yorkshireman and England player, though I was a big Vic Wilson fan when I first watched Yorkshire and tended to prefer Hampshire to Boycott when I was watching in the mid-60s. On the overseas front, Sobers and Graeme Pollock were way ahead of all the others, though I also had a soft spot for Roy Fredericks (or anybody who could play the cut shot well) and Hanif Mohammed.
What used to amaze me was the quirkiness of the kids I was at school with when it came to choosing a favourite. My best cricket-playing mate was a huge fan of Tom Graveney, but also of Paul Sheahan (!?), while the boy who sat behind me in my first year at grammar school (no sort of athlete at all) was bonkers for a time about Keith Stackpole.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Your Favourite Player

September 13 2017, 10:30 PM 

David Bairstow. I even went to the factory in Horbury and got a pair of his Yorkshire coloured keeping gloves that saw me through my university and club cricket career.

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 13 2017, 11:07 PM 

All seen in live action before I reached 20....

As a little kid: Len Hutton.
Growing up: Brian Close, followed closely by Johnny Wardle, Fred Trueman, Raymond Illingworth, Jimmy Binks.
Admired non-Yorkshire: Brian Statham + Ted Dexter, Tom Graveney, Ken Barrington.
World: Garfield Sobers + Rohan Kanhai, Lance Gibbs, Wes Hall, Alan Davidson, Richie Benaud.

Regrets I didn't see: Hedley Verity, Don Bradman, Jim Laker, Ray Lindwall.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 14 2017, 7:13 AM 

Sir Geoffrey . Tony Greig . Barry Richards.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2017, 7:51 AM 

Always a tricky one to answer as my view changes over time and will vary due to the very different roles within a cricket team.

Clearly a Yorkshire bias but my first favourite was always Boycott from the 70s when I started following Yorkshire and he was carrying the expectations of a whole county on his shoulders. This then evolved to liking David Bairstow as he played with his heart on his sleeve and had that visible commitment I value in any sportsman. This then brought in Phil Carrick who led us to victory on my most memorable day at any match at lords on 1987 plus he was a left arm spinner like me (at the time at least).

More recently it's moved full circle as Bairstow junior plays the same way as his Dad but backed by more ability.

Away from Yorkshire I have admired a few like Warne for his ability when you could not take your eye off him bowling at all ( and I was fortunate to see his first ball in the Ashes at Old Trafford in 1993 ) and Lillee for his quality, perseverance and watchability

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 14 2017, 8:12 AM 

Fred first, then Closey who when I was young seemed to be the embodiment of Yorkshire cricket and everything that put it at odds with the powers at Lord's.

Admired GB's batting but there was always a case against him as a team player.

Later, both Bairstows, and if I was the praying type , I'd put in a little word for Rashid to really fulfill his potential.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2017, 9:00 AM 

I became fanatical about cricket from the age of 12 and kept cuttings of all England Test Matches for a couple of years. My favourite was Alan Lamb. Loved his competitive streak and the way he stood up to the West Indies.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 14 2017, 9:06 AM 

Yorkshire - Lehmann
England - Gough

Fraisse10
(Login Fraisse10)

September 14 2017, 9:11 AM 

Growing up: Gower

(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 14 2017, 9:32 AM 

Freddie Truman my all time favourite YCCC player
Gary Sobers my favourite all time overseas player

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 14 2017, 9:37 AM 

For me it has to be Imran Khan, a truly exceptional player.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk