<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

Re: Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval (Day Three)

September 14 2017, 4:16 PM 

All gone now, so expect follow on and long way to go to secure draw on 4th day. First task to negotiate 22 overs today.

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 14, 2017 4:27 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2017, 4:18 PM 

We now need to bat for the same length of time as in our first innings, which is easier said than done. Wickets very rarely get better to bat on, on the 4th day.

Jay
(Login overman8)

September 14 2017, 4:28 PM 

I don't think we can salvage even a draw tbh, a defeat looks more likely and the Surrey attack will have their tails up. I hope I will be gorging on humble pie come tomorrow evening.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 14 2017, 4:28 PM 

Yes, Clarke and Curran have looked more dangerous since lunch. A good start needed here.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 14 2017, 4:39 PM 

From afar, that's a pretty disappointing afternoon session after such a good start to our batting effort left safety in this match in tantalising reach- another 50 runs and the draw would have been overwhelming favourite. We really needed one of the top order to go on to make a hundred as the Surrey batsmen were able but that was not to be, and our tail proved as weak on grass as on paper. I agree that we have a job on to save this now: we probably need to bat for more than 100 overs to be safe (118 overs remaining, 198 behind, a scoring rate of 3 an over would leave 100 from 16 for Surrey), although as that equation shows we cannot forget to keep the scoreboard moving too.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 14, 2017 4:39 PM

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 14 2017, 4:40 PM 

Listening to Cally, probably for the first time this season, and the last!

He's just told his listeners that if Yorkshire lose this game they will be in the relegation mix; not seriously in it, but in it.

Didn't they do arithmetic at his school?

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 14 2017, 4:46 PM 

This is game over I'm afraid. All the good work by TKC and marsh was undone by brain explosions in our middle order. Relegation is looking more and more like a formality. Regardless of the result or what division we find ourselves in we have to try and get Silverwood and McGrath in.

Emotions took control relegation is a "possibility"

TKC, marsh, lees and hodd showed spirit. The rest of the batsmen plus rafiq will be bitterly disappointed with their dismissals

This message has been edited by FreshStart1987 on Sep 14, 2017 5:01 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2017, 4:47 PM 

Can't remember the last time we followed on but I was still pleased that we had shown some spirit, fight and battling.

If we bat the same again we will draw as even if all our after tea tomorrow we should have a decent lead

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 14, 2017 6:47 PM

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 14 2017, 4:52 PM 

I don't like to sound aggressive,as I'm not like that at all, but to say relegation is a formality is nonsense

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 14 2017, 5:03 PM 

Has anyone said that relegation is a "formality" but it is a distinct possibility unless we discover winning ways next week. Incidentally your soccer team is doing very well Harrogate - big game coming soon against York 😀

This message has been edited by Alibor2 on Sep 14, 2017 5:07 PM

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2017, 5:53 PM 

If we lose tomorrow, we will be in the bottom two. If we draw we will be 1 point in front of Somerset. This is assuming Somerset win tomorrow.

No, ifs, buts, maybes, we just HAVE to win next week. And lets by honest about this, if we don`t beat Warwickshire we don`t deserve to stop up.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2017, 6:48 PM 

The biggest barrier to beating Warwickshire next week may be the weather

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 14 2017, 7:06 PM 

If we can save the draw we should also be above Middlesex as well shouldn't we?

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 14 2017, 7:07 PM 

Frank intimated relegation was a formality Alibor.....

I don't go to watch Harrogate (I'm a Wednesday fan) but yes a big match v York. Town going well so probably favourite. I've many friends who follow York.....very difficult times

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Draw favourite

September 14 2017, 8:08 PM 

Well we didn't get as many runs as I would have liked but not too bad overall.

59-1, we don't need to take any risks whatsoever on what still seems a decent pitch.

Batting a couple of sessions should be within our capabilities, a bit of rain wouldn't go amiss just to ease the nerves a little.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 14 2017, 11:00 PM 

Given the position last night, I think it's hard to dispute that today has been a bad day.

Batting to tea won't be enough, we're currently 140 behind having scored at less than 2.6 per over. If we carry on at that rate we'll have to bat for at least 85 overs tomorrow.

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 14 2017, 11:54 PM 

I see showers are forecast. But in effect will still need to bat all day.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

September 15 2017, 8:10 AM 

Cally. "Didn't they do maths at his school?"

Your question got me reflecting on the malaise which seems to surround the team at present.

Many posters have highlighted the problems facing the team, ranging from transition, under-performance, injury, international calls and loss of form, to strange selection decisions and inexplicable on-field tactics.

The response of the management has largely been to carry on as normal, whilst promising "jam tomorrow".

Cally, always more the apologist, than the critical friend, is, I suspect, simply reflecting this position.

Objectively, both he and the team management are in denial and things will not improve until a more rigorous analysis is adopted.

The best thing that he could do for the team would be to tell it as it is, but he will not do that, because that is not the type of commentator that he chooses to be. It is for this reason that I stopped listening to him some time ago.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Cally

September 15 2017, 8:49 AM 

Cally is a commentator and not really a journalist. Like all local sports commentators it's very difficult to keep your listeners on board if you start being too critical.

Obviously he is very close to the team, knows them personally and, like some posters on here, is very one eyed when watching 'his boys' play cricket.

Clive Eakin and Dave Bracegirdle I find very difficult to listen to, not being a supporter of their teams, and I reckon Cally must be equally difficult if you don't follow Yorkshire.

I like to listen to cricket in the garden or in my shed so I'm usually restricted to the game on R5SX due to poor Wi-fi so I get a good mix of commentators.

Like the Lancs man, Scott Read, and quite like the banter of the Radio London men.

The cricket men have nothing on local radio rugby league commentary, now that really is one-eyed.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2017, 9:03 AM 

Well he also relies on the players joining him for stints in the box so he's hardly going to upset them.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk