<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Reasons to be cheerful

September 14 2017 at 8:02 PM
EastCoastExile  (Login EastCoastExile)

Amidst all the entirely justified gloom I was thinking about the moments of this championship season that have given me pleasure. Two come to mind - Ben Coad's bowling on the first evening at Headingley against Hampshire back in April, and Gary Ballance finding his form in the same month.

What do others look back on with positive memories from 2017?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

Re: Reasons to be cheerful

September 14 2017, 8:26 PM 

The decimation of Lancs in three days at Headingley. For those three days in early June the Yorkshire of the Gillespie years made a rare appearance.

This message has been edited by twelthman on Sep 14, 2017 8:28 PM

EastCoastExile
(Login EastCoastExile)

September 14 2017, 8:34 PM 

That's reminded me of one more - the elation of winning at Taunton by 3 runs

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 14 2017, 8:36 PM 

The t20 home roses win.

Lyth t20 ton

Brooks century!

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 14 2017, 8:49 PM 

17 April, Edgbaston:
Warwickshire 2nd innings: 7 for 5.

Yorkshire (381) beat Warwickshire (178 & 115) by an innings and 88 runs.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 14 2017, 10:50 PM 

Last day at Taunton. An extraordinary win - you remember wins? Seems even more significant now, we'd be down without it.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 14 2017, 10:59 PM 

Yes 32 point turn-round, without that win.

Stuart
(Login Stuart129)

September 15 2017, 1:07 AM 

The Pork Pie Shop on North Marine Road and the North Bay Chippy but the top dog is Jeremy`s, if you can afford to watch Yorkshire, treat yourself to Jeremy's.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 15 2017, 9:01 AM 

Good call...

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 15 2017, 10:14 AM 

I don't know Jeremy's...what is it, where is it?

One thing I have newly discovered, is that the corner shop just across the road from the Hutton Gates does the most delicious samosas; 60p each!

My favourite memory has to be the Taunton win, and the first innings contest between Trescothick and Sidebottom was the best bit of cricket I've seen for years. Also Ben Coad's bowling at Edgbaston and the Jack Brooks century at Old Trafford.

JH
(Login harg49)

September 15 2017, 10:39 AM 

Jeremys is a small restaurant sandwiched in between North Bay fisheries and the bookmakers. It is quite expensive but high quality food, from what I recall quite limited opening hours perhaps 4 evenings per week.

Irving08
(Login Irving08)

September 15 2017, 1:06 PM 

Shai Hope at Headingley.

Adam Lyth's huge T20 innings, Jack Leaning's catch - also T20. Overall T20 at Headingley has given me most pleasure.

Martin
(Login Cusworth)

Reasons to be cheerful

September 15 2017, 7:52 PM 

Yep, allus lookin fo positives, even in a season of poor onfield performances and crap fixture organisation. The samosas at the shop across from the gates are ruddy ace, but it seems others are twiggin on to em. It's part of the Headingley ritual that I buy 2 of em at 10.43 for each of the small minded buggers I sit with. On one occasion I even got a smile from the lady behind the counter.

PS. Almost on a par for Reasons To Be Cheerful was the discovery of the Arcadia pub in Headingley with with its excellent cask ales.

Throw in Fat Lads Mild int North Riding and life could be worse.

(Login dpressed)

September 15 2017, 10:51 PM 

Most North Riding beers are good.

I buy my ice creams (ok ice lollies) from the samosas shop. Much cheaper than the van in the ground.

The ice creams at Scarbados aren't cheap but they are very yummy.

Oddly my highlight of the season is the T20 Vs Worester. Well we won yet I saw my 1st ever over containing 6 6s.

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

September 15 2017, 11:51 PM 

A big reason to be cheerful is of course the breakthrough of Coad and to a lesser extent Waite and Brooks this year. I think the futures bright for Yorkshire if we can build it around Coad, Waite, Fisher, Carver, Brook, TKC, Leaning and maybe a couple of others.

Me4791
(Login Me4791)

September 16 2017, 8:13 AM 

Jack Brooks 100!

Phil
(Login ExiledinNotts)

September 16 2017, 9:28 AM 

As others have said I'll never forget that last day at Taunton. The Somerset fans were unsurprisingly confident of a victory but when Whitby Adam got that last wicket it was us Yorkies dancing a jig.The whole 4 days at Taunton were brilliant with fantastic welcoming hosts.

This message has been edited by ExiledinNotts on Sep 16, 2017 9:34 AM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 16 2017, 11:30 AM 

Emergence of Coad, some excellent T20 batting, good results against Lancs. Not much else.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 22 2017, 2:46 PM 

Can I change my selection please?

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 22 2017, 3:27 PM 

I would say today is a reason to be relieved rather than cheerful. We need to take this as a wake-up call rather than thinking that everything is rosy because we scraped home against the worst side in the division thanks to runs from numbers 8 and 9.

This message has been edited by _JG_ on Sep 22, 2017 3:27 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk