<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

Re: Championship | Surrey vs Yorkshire at the Oval ((Day Four)

September 15 2017, 5:56 PM 

It would be astonishingly harsh to omit Brooks after that performance. I'd also bring Lyth and Coad back, keep Lees at 3 and probably leave out Rafiq and (reluctantly) Patterson. But a lot will depend on the wicket and conditions.

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 15 2017, 6:00 PM 

What an incredibly tight league table with 5 teams in the mix for the second relegation spot and only 13 points between them. Another strange feature is that with 2 games to go the team in 3rd place has only won once!

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Only one Ryan Sidebottom

September 15 2017, 6:10 PM 

As Warwickshire will probably be bringing their own Ryan Sidebottom perhaps we should give the only true original one a rest and let him lead Yorkshire out at Chelmsford in his final game.

From a sentimental viewpoint I'd like to see him play his last match at Headingley of course.

Difficult one.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 15 2017, 6:22 PM 

We are probably in a much better position now than we expected to be after the first day of this week's fixtures. For next week's game against Warwickshire we must surely include both Lyth and Coad in the starting XI. Not totally convinced about Brathwaite coming in instead of Marsh but hope to be proved wrong. I think that the final place should be between Rafiq/Carver or Patterson.
So maybe Lyth, Brathwaite, Lees, Ballance, Leaning, Hodd, Bresnan, Carver (or Rafiq or Patterson), Coad, Brooks & Sidebottom. Could be very tempting to include K-C instead of Leaning or Bresnan but I would be reluctant to omit either of them for this match.
We are likely to be inserted and should resist temptation to prepare seamers wicket as we need to post good first innings total and achieve maximum/near maximum batting bonus points - need to target 23/24 points. Above all we need to show real commitment!

(Login dpressed)

September 15 2017, 6:39 PM 

Two points

Firstly will those who moaned about leaving Coad out accept that those in charge knew what they were doing. Why flog him on a dead pitch when we need him taking wickets next week.

The Essex loss at Scarborough in 2001 was Yorkshire entertaining fans. The match was basically a dead rubber. There was lots of rain so the game was going to be a bore draw. Essex captain Grayson looked completely shocked when Byas declared as soon as Yorkshire passed the follow on. Then on the last afternoon Essex set Yorkshire s total. Yorkshire basically 'went for it'. They could have dropped anchor but kept going. At the time I said I'd back Byas & Yorkshire even if we lost. We did but I still say that I think Byas was right. I do remember that 'the faithful' wnet home happy with no moans

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 15 2017, 7:09 PM 

i would bring lyth back to open with brathwaite. retain kohler- cadmore in the middle order, drop the ineffective rafiq and let lyth, brathwaite and leaning do the slow bowling, play coad then decide between patterson and bresnan for the final seamer place.

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 15 2017, 7:30 PM 

Will spin play much of a role next week? Probably not, and nothing Lyth can't handle.

Lyth
Brathwaite
Lees
Ballance
Leaning
Kohler-Cadmore
Hodd
Bresnan
Patterson
Coad
Sidebottom

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 15 2017, 7:32 PM 

Braithwaite, Lyth & Leaning all offer a better spin option than Rafiq.

I would go with Braithwaite, Lyth, Lees, Ballance, KC, Leaning, Hodd, Bresnan, Brooks, Coad, Siddy.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 15 2017, 7:38 PM 

Coad bowling 20-25 overs at The Oval wouldn't have been flogging him. We've come away with 1 bowling point, so the decision hasn't been proven a good one. The theory he couldn't bowl well in two matches in a row is just utter nonsense.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 15, 2017 8:00 PM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 15 2017, 7:45 PM 

TKC
Brathwaite
Lees
Ballance C
Lyth
Leaning
Hodd WK
Bresnan/Coad
Plunkett
Brooks
Sidebottom

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

September 15 2017, 7:50 PM 

Well played to the top order batsmen in both innings, my fears of an innings defeat due to lack of confidence were put well in their place.

Assuming we anticipate four days play against Warks, I would expect the insertion of Brathwaite for Marsh (well done to the Aussie for his effort this week), Lyth for Rafiq (although not in the batting order) and Coad for Patto. Move TKC down a bit to pad the middle order with a batsman rather than Rafiq (who just doesn't seem to have it in red ball cricket).

I don't see how Brooks can be dropped given his effort at the Oval and as it's Siddy's last game at Headingley I think he'd play even if you didn't pick him! I suppose a case could be made for Patto over Bressie, but not for me.

Hopefully a high points win and panic over (depending on other results).

54 off 24
(Login 54off24)

September 15 2017, 7:52 PM 

Lew, I 'm pretty sure Plunkett is with England during this game?

Martin
(Login Cusworth)

September 15 2017, 8:19 PM 

So pleased for Alex Lees. Clearly things ant been right with the lad this season. Whether it's been to do with lack of confidence or other issues which have been mentioned by posters recently, I can only guess. But he's a good batter with the potential to be very good. His future needs to lie with Yorkshire CCC.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

bit of caution

September 15 2017, 8:39 PM 

I hope the batsmen have gained some confidence from batting at the Oval this week, but let's not get carried away, runs were easy to come by on that pitch.

Otley
(Login Otley)

Championship | Surrey vs. Yorkshire at the Oval (Day Four)

September 15 2017, 9:09 PM 

It may have been a "road" but still good to see such a good batting performance when faced with such scoreboard pressure over the last 2 and 1/2 days. Couldn't get there this week but really enjoyed the live feed via Surrey's website - thanks brown caps, hope all counties can do it next season. Particular congratulations to Alex Lees after a difficult season. The big "what if" is: what if Shaun Marsh had not been concussed and unavailable for the Essex game at Scarbados? A shared vigil with Adam Lyth there could have changes our, and their, season. If only we could have had such an experienced "rock" for most of the season.

Congratulations to Essex, worthy champions. Now let's impose ourselves on Warwicks, and hopefully a celebratory Essex in the next 2 weeks.

(Login dpressed)

September 15 2017, 10:40 PM 

My opinion is Braithwaite for Marsh. Lyth to open with him. Carver for Rafiq (Azeem is a one day bowler) and Coad for Patto.

And Patto bowled 30 over not 20-25. The pace bowlers only took wickets when S(l)urrey were hitting out at the end. Coad would have suffered as much as the rest. Much better to have him fit & raring to go in a match we can win.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 16 2017, 11:40 AM 

I'd actually be tempted by Bresnan being the one to make way for Coad based on recent bowling performances, but his batting probably just keeps him in: I don't fancy Patto at 8.

Lyth
Brathwaite
Lees
Balance
Kohler-Cadmore
Leaning
Hodd
Bresnan
Brooks
Coad
Sidebottom

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 16 2017, 3:16 PM 

According to today's "Press", Siddy is injured and only 50-50 for next week.

".....Meanwhile, Gale revealed that Ryan Sidebottom is a doubt to face Warwickshire, having sustained a quad muscle injury while fielding earlier in this match.

The veteran bowler will have a fitness test on Monday and Gale described his chances of playing as "50-50"."

That would be a big blow, if he does not play, both personally, as it is Siddys last chance to play at Headingley, and he deserves a rousing send-off by the fans, and from a team point of view.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 16, 2017 5:26 PM

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Injury

September 16 2017, 5:41 PM 

It's always nice to have a full squad to select from but Sidebottom's injury may be a blessing in disguise.

I'd like to see him fit to lead the side out for the last match of the season, even if it is all the way down in Chelmsford.

No reason why he can't be at the ground so we can make a fuss of him during the Warwickshire game, if he's not playing he can have a shandy.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk