<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Plunkett

September 17 2017 at 9:41 PM
Otley  (Login Otley)

Seems he wants to be a hired "gun" in world T20s after being overlooked by England (and Yorks?) in red ball cricket. Source is Daily Express via a news feed I was looking at so he may also be looking for Princess Di's murderer in a 3 month record snowstorm!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Commentary

September 17 2017, 9:56 PM 

They may have picked this idea up from the commentary on Sky sports last night.

Think it was Rob Key who was speculating that Plunkett, at 32 and possibly close to the end of his England days, might be a prime candidate to do a Tymal Mills and cash in on his T20 bowling.

Not the most outrageous idea in the world.

He's still good value though for England and he might think he can hold on until the 2019 world cup in ODI's.

We shall see what we shall see.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Sep 17, 2017 9:57 PM

MikeBrc
(Login MikeBrc)

Re: Plunkett

September 17 2017, 10:39 PM 

Martin
(Login Martinh00)

September 18 2017, 8:55 AM 

With England call ups and early season niggles, I'm not sure Plunkett has been overlooked all that many times in red ball cricket this season?

(Login matthefish2002)

September 18 2017, 9:01 AM 

With the money on offer and less workload for the players its not surprising we will see a bit slow flow of players being T20 mercenaries.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 18 2017, 9:11 AM 

Yes, I understand he has also found a cure for arthritis.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 18 2017, 11:54 AM 

Liam has been picked for every red ball match he has been available for. The rest of the time he has been injured or away playing for England.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 18 2017, 1:42 PM 

Bit disappointing but hardly surprising. However how much impact would this have on Yorkshire?

With an IPL contract unlikely, the only league clashing with our season is the CPL.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 18 2017, 3:33 PM 

....and he has only started in two CC matches for us this season, and one of them he did not finish due to injury.

(Login dpressed)

September 18 2017, 6:17 PM 

Sorry but I can't understand this 'We have to allow them to earn money in the IPL'. For those who are working try asking your boss for 6-8 off so you can work elsewhere. We all know you'd be told to get working or leave (polite version). Crickets have signed a contract to play for X for y £s. So they should honour said contact or leave,after paying an amount to leave

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

September 18 2017, 6:25 PM 

I think it's perfectly understandable. Given his injury record and the short career of a fast bowler, I'd be considering doing exactly the same. From Plunkett's perspective he needs to look after himself financially while he can.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 18 2017, 6:59 PM 

Fast bowlers are worth their weight in gold in the IPL and I reckon Plunkett will go for a princely sum in the forthcoming IPL auction, especially when the recent TV rights have gone up in value. Who would have thought Tymal Mills went for a seven figure bid?

Should Plunkett (or any Yorkshire player) get an IPL contract, he would have to pay a levy to Yorkshire for the time missed in County Cricket. Get that money reinvested in an overseas signing and the outcome becomes a no lose situation.

Martin
(Login Martin00)

September 18 2017, 6:59 PM 

I'm not sure what the story is here. All he seems to be saying is that he is available in the winter for T20 gigs, given that he is unlikely to get an opportunity to play in the Ashes. He states that he will still play for Yorkshire. No different to Rashid playing in the South African comp. Good luck to him - he has made himself into a very good short form bowler.

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 20 2017, 10:53 PM 

Although unfortutely not for us- he went around the park in the few T20s he played for Yorkshire this season (economy rate over 11).

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk