<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Too old or too tired?

September 18 2017 at 11:12 AM
Martin  (Login Martin00)

Lots of views are expressed here about our "ageing attack"

If you look at the current first class averages and consider those seam bowlers who have bowled more than 100 overs who are over 30, four players are in the top ten:

Abbott (aged 30)
Sidebottom (aged 39)
Groenewald (aged 33)
Franklin (aged 36)
McLaren (aged 34)

Ryan Sidebottom was the same age as Bresnan is now when he re-signed for Yorkshire!! he has shown that it is possible to continue to play at a high level into your 30s. He is hardly athletic and his injury record in the last two seasons hasn't been brilliant, but the stats show his value to the side - he still has the skill levels to be competitive in the first division

So, I think the question is whether a player can adapt to the ageing process - introduce new skills, remain competitive even if you have lost a little zip. Looking purely at age can be deceptive.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

Re: Too old or too tired?

September 18 2017, 11:45 AM 

How many games have each of those bowlers played in their career?

Someone like Bresnan has been playing county cricket since he was 18! That's a lot of mileage in his legs!

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 18 2017, 1:37 PM 

I think that is the point - it's 'miles on the clock' and the injury record, rather than just age.

Also lifestyle and desire. We're all different. Getting paid a lot of money to play, as with Jimmy Anderson, might just help keep you going, and being wrapped in cotton wool, too.

Some of the longest careers in cricket were by Yorkshiremen: Wilfred Rhodes, Illingworth, Close, Boycott all spanned the generations.

Rhodes played against Bradman, Bradman played against Close! (I think). 80 years of first class cricket between Rhodes's debut and Close's last game for Somerset.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Looks it

September 18 2017, 9:34 PM 

I've thought Ryan has looked tired since he came back from Notts but it didn't seem to effect his bowling.

Last few times I've seen him he looks old too.

I wish him a long and happy retirement from first class cricket, I'm sure he isn't going too soon.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 19 2017, 10:04 AM 

"Rhodes played against Bradman, Bradman played against Close! (I think). 80 years of first class cricket between Rhodes's debut and Close's last game for Somerset."

Just a bit of fun, but when Rhodes made his test debut (alongside Victor Trumper!) in the Trent Bridge test of 1899, his captain was WG Grace, who first played first-class cricket in 1865. In Rhodes's last test, the West Indies were saved by a double century from George Headley, who went on to play (and to play test cricket) until 1954.

garywilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 19 2017, 8:27 PM 

I have been trying to find a game in which Close played against Bradman , presumably in 1948 , but i can't . Anyone know ?

Anthony Bradbury
(Login buckhursthill1)

Too Old or Too Tired

September 19 2017, 9:32 PM 

Close didn't make his first class debut until 1949 by which time had left these shores, and Bradman had retired when Close went to Australia in 1950/51. So I doubt if they ever played in the same match.

(Login swfctyke)

September 21 2017, 4:51 PM 

I've heard that fast bowlers lose pace rapidly from around the age of 33 onwards. Sounds about right

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk