<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Facts & figures

September 18 2017 at 3:59 PM
Stu  (Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

Fred Hyland (Hampshire, 1924) holds the record of playing the shortest length of time in a first class career.

He played just one match that lasted just 2 overs. It started at 5.45 on a wet first day, and after 2 overs the rain returned and all the players left the field. Fred was never selected again.

CC Batting Records

Most runs in a career --- C P Mead (Hants, 1906-36) 46,268.
Highest batting av. in a career --- D. S. Lehmann (1997- 2006) 68.76.
Most runs in a season --- C P Mead (1928) 2,843.

Most matches as a player. W Rhodes (1898-1930) 762.

Unsuprisingly, Rhodes also has the record for most runs and Wickets in a career ---- 26,859 runs & 3,112 wickets.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 18, 2017 4:02 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Facts &amp; figures

September 18 2017, 4:24 PM 

Makes me realise just how fortunate I was to see so many of D S Lehmann's innings for Yorkshire. I admired the way he played, but I also admired him as a man. His contribution to the Club was enormous, not least in the time he spent relating to members, and especially, to children.

(Login dpressed)

Re: Facts & figures

September 18 2017, 6:11 PM 

Lehmann was the last of the psudo amateurs who played for fun. Its was a sad day when he retired

I've told this story before but it's relevant.

In the early 2000's Yorkshire had a 'fun day' before a Sunday League game. Kids got to play on the outfield sheparded by players

In front of the football stand D*rr*n G**GH was hitting kids bowling to all points.

At the other end of the ground Darren Lehmann was tossing up deliveries for kids to hit with others chasing the ball. It was sheer mayhem but the kids were loving it & Boof had a massive smile on his face.

I know which set of kids were encouraged to play again.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk