<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1st ODI | England vs West Indies at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

September 19 2017 at 5:02 AM

WRF  (Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

Sep 19, 2017 Day-night

England from: Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire), Jake Ball (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Tom Curran (Surrey), Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire), Liam Plunkett (Yorkshire), Adil Rashid (Yorkshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Jason Roy (Surrey), Ben Stokes (Durham), David Willey (Yorkshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire).

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 19, 2017 7:51 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 2nd T20I | England vs West Indies at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

September 19 2017, 6:39 AM 

Isn't this an ODI and not the second t20?

Ps. Thanks for amending thread title. Easily done as these one day stuff comes along thick and fast

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 19, 2017 9:03 AM

Seadog73
(Login Seadog73)

Re: 2nd T20I | England vs West Indies at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

September 19 2017, 6:55 AM 

Yes, this is the first of five ODIs.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: 1st ODI | England vs West Indies at Old Trafford (Match Thread)

September 19 2017, 11:23 AM 

I sense this game will be second (or even fourth) on our list of priority today

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Slow stuff

September 19 2017, 6:26 PM 

Bit of biff from the openers but then it got pretty tedious.

Nice if Bairstow can cement his berth.

Low scoring games can often turn out to be quite exciting, here's hoping.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 19 2017, 8:14 PM 

Maiden century for Jonny. Great stuff.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Jonny Bairstow

September 19 2017, 8:58 PM 

Dipped in and out on the radio and Sky but it never really got going as a contest.

Excellent finish though with JB, appearing to bat properly while opening the innings, making his maiden ODI century.

Hope the other 4 games are little more testing.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 19 2017, 9:03 PM 

Ready made chance that he took gratefully. No real pressure with a huge total to chase and average bowling. But Hales didn't do it so. Well done JB

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 19 2017, 9:26 PM 

Time for Morgan to step down and JB to bat number 4 in both tests and ODIs - he is wtwd lower down the orders.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 19 2017, 10:21 PM 

Why can't he continue to open in ODIs as he's just got a ton batting there?

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 19 2017, 11:05 PM 

Can't disguise the fact that this match was a distant fourth on my list of priorities, but I'm always delighted to see Jonny do well, particularly at the expense of Roy who I dislike watching as a player. He seemed to embody everything I dislike about the "Team England" setup, from his arrogant swagger, regularly stops upon getting out, usually after attempting to throw the kitchen sink at every delivery.

Anyway well done Jonny.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Best position

September 19 2017, 11:32 PM 

You would imagine Bairstow will keep his opening position until he loses it or until another position becomes available.

Roy of course was very successful as an opening partner with Hales and he could be again. Perhaps Malan, or Vince, or Livingstone will push harder for a place, who knows.

If the management think Roy is ready to return they will have to weigh up whether he replaces Bairstow, bats in another position, or Bairstow moves to accommodate him.

If it's one of the others a place has to be found and obviously the weakest link needs to be the one to go.

It's natural that as a team moves forward some are going to be left behind.

Not everybody agrees of course as to who that might be.

I would suggest that of the top 7 Root, Hales, Bairstow & Stokes are nailed on until the 2019 world cup. Moeen Ali also appears to be bullet proof for reasons that aren't always apparent.

Buttler you might say is your luxury player, he is quite often out cheaply but he can grab an unlikely victory from defeat when he's really in the groove.

Who does that leave, oh yes Eoin Morgan. Agree he's had a decent year so far in ODI's, though a bit iffy in T20's.

If he keeps performing and holding the innings together of course he will stay. My guess is he will be gone by the first ODI in England in 2018.

This message has been edited by Coastalview on Sep 19, 2017 11:34 PM

JG
(Login _JG_)

September 20 2017, 10:59 PM 

Buttler is quite unbelievably underrated on here, especially considering some of the innings he's played against Yorkshire. He's one of the best one-day batsmen in the world; he, Root and Hales are the most nailed-on members of England's batting line-up.

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 24 2017, 3:00 PM 

"Moeen Ali also appears to be bullet proof for reasons that aren't always apparent."

They looked pretty apparent today!!!

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 24 2017, 3:31 PM 

Moeen did have a couple of fallow years in ODIs and his average of 27.13 is nothing to write home about. However, it's clear that he's moved up a level in the last 12 months, and is an automatic pick at present.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk