<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Morkel v Fisher

September 20 2017 at 9:55 PM
Lew  (Login Lewis_116)

There has been a lot of talk recently about the need for a Kolkap. A few have even suggested trying to tempt the likes of a Morkel would be a smart move. I cannot disagree. He ia top quality, a ready made fit and has unfinished business.

But then Fisher got a five for. And, it filled me with a satisfaction Morkel never could. He's a local, academy player of immense potential. He just needs a run free of injury. He has genuine pace and seems to give it a bat down the order too.

Of course, Morkel is currently the better player. He is a more likely quick win and guaranteed success.

Yet, if I were to write down my preferred Yorkshire CC 11 for next season, it would see Coad, Brooks and Fisher in the bowling ranks. It just fills me with satisfaction and excitement to see 2 of our own youngsters proving what the County is all about.

NB: Morkel has been used here as an example, never saying we were close to signing him.

This message has been edited by Lewis_116 on Sep 20, 2017 9:58 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Feel the love

September 20 2017, 11:21 PM 

It's sometimes difficult to hear through the noise of those old curmudgeons sitting behind you who are from over Oxenhope way, no not you lot, the other ones.

But you can actually hear and feel the good will when home grown players such as Fisher, Leaning, Coad, Bresnan & Lyth come to bat, reach a landmark, take a wicket, or lose theirs. I should really have said Mathew, Jack, Ben, Tim and Adam of course, sorry lads.

That doesn't mean they don't appreciate the Captain, Brooksy, Hoddy etc who have come into the club but it's not quite the same and they are far less forgiving when they play a careless shot, have an off day with the ball, or delay bringing Rash on to bowl.

That said, if we could get a really top notch, long term Kolpak, such as Mornie Morkel for example. I'm pretty sure most people would be only too happy to take them in and would be on first name terms in no time.

(Login BrickyardBoy)

Re: Morkel v Fisher

September 21 2017, 8:02 AM 

All very good in the short term, but the exodus of talented cricketers from Test cricket, seen through the other end of the telescope, is a further step towards the demise of "real cricket".

We have witnessed the devaluation of County Cricket and only the deaf could fail to hear the siren voices which call for a similar development at Test level. If the most gifted and talented players only want to play for easier, but financially, more highly rewarded types of the game (and distantly related spin-offs such as T20 Slog Ball) then the future for red ball cricket takes yet another hammer blow. Even some on TMS call repeatedly for the reduction of Test Matches to 4 days.

To me this is another reason to eschew the Kingdom of Kolpakia.

Purely mercenary, non-representative sport has a long history of destruction. It transforms all that infects into a vehicle for media hyperbole and celebrity worship which, so evident in other sports, and particularly, soccer and athletics, is at variance with the traditional metier of cricket. It places winning in the position of being the only outcome of worth and this in turn opens up the potential for those devoid of moral compass to engage in match fixing, illegal performance enhancement and other essentially self-seeking motives which bring the game into disrepute.

Even YCCC's celebrated foray into Kolpakia, though not in anyway illegal, was clearly in breach of an established gentleman's agreement.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 21 2017, 8:20 AM 

For too long we played cricket with one hand tied behind our back and many blamed it all on Boycott. The reality was that our home born policy was great from 1870 to 1970 but after that the rules changed and once Richards (Viv and Barry), Zaheer, and co came to town to learn how to bat in England and every county had a fast West Indian capable of knocking your head off and those that didnt had a quality seamer like Hadlee, Imran, le roux, procter etc.

We took too long to wake up to the changes with our stubbornness getting the better of us. It's similar now as the best overseas players are not available due to the central contracts and increased international schedule. So you look fora combination of overseas to cover your summer, a retired international looking for a pension pot boost before he retires or more recently you take advantage of the weak rand and South African quota system and get a kolpak. It's what Hants, Essex, Lancs, Northants, Notts, Sussex and derbyshire plus others have done whilst we fiddled around with Marsh, Hanscomb, Sarfraz and now Bratthwaite.

Personally I would rather have a three year kolpak who turns out like Rudy than four overseas who are gone before they have finished getting their names on the back of the shirts in the club shop.

My point is I would take the kolpak if good enough instead of the overseas. It's hard to tell the difference between them at some counties now anyway.

Our challenge will be identifying if it's a bowler or batsman we need primarily. Our top order has been flimsy and our seamers losing potency as they age. Our back up spinner to rashid is not good enough. So basically we need a Gary sobers of the modern era to cover all bases.

This message has been edited by ThirdUmpire on Sep 21, 2017 8:52 AM

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 21 2017, 9:54 AM 

Just to stress my point, I am not fully against a Kolpak. If given the option of a Kolpak batsman or ideally keeper/batsman, I would snap off your hand.

The reason being we are lacking in those positions.

With the bowling, we have some serious talent to nurture.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 21 2017, 11:00 AM 

I think Abbott and Harmer have shown that Kolpaks are the new "overseas". That is to say, they are the best kind of overseas player available, since they enable you to have continuity.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 21 2017, 11:27 AM 

I thought they were a great double act too who suffered by being compared with Laurel and Hardy

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 21 2017, 8:12 PM 

As they say at Edgbaston, Hose is on first base.

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 21 2017, 8:54 PM 

For Geoff B's reasons above, it should always be a Fisher ahead of a Morkel.

And remember, no guarantee there'll be Kolpaks after March 29 2019. ECB will be free to change the rules.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk