<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
(Login ThirdUmpire)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Headingley (Day Three)

September 21 2017, 7:04 PM 

I dare not even look to next week as tomorrow is more vital!

But Middlesex have no TRJ and may have other injuries although Finn is in form of course.

We usually say the table at the end of the season never lies. If we are in bottom two we deserve to be sadly.

Can we ask the ECB to release Root and ,bairstow to sub mid game as they didn't get to play much today?

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 21 2017, 7:16 PM 

The reality is that it requires one significant innings, one good partnership, to break the back of the task.

The other reality is that sides chasing usually win easily or lose narrowly.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2017, 7:33 PM 

Very nervous day ahead. IF we win, we are safe from relegation. If we lose, relegation is a near certainty.

50-50, IMO. We could win, but we also have every chance of losing, and it definately will not be a draw. Patel at one end all day, and the seamers at the other is the way Warwickshire will play it. Patel could end up with 10 wickets in the match and 100 runs. He will be tricky to face tomorrow, and it would not surprise me if he ended up with 7 or 8 wickets. The 100 runs extra that we let them get in their first innngs when 49 for 6, could very well lose us this match. They should never have got any more than 120.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 21, 2017 7:36 PM

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 21 2017, 7:43 PM 

So when we were 179-6 do we overlook that we ended up 297 all out? Or does it only work one wAy this mythical land of knowing how many runs a team scored above the expected target?.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 21 2017, 7:48 PM 

really it is just one decent partnership. and do,nt let patel dominate.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 21 2017, 7:52 PM 

Can we stop talking about anything other than the amount of runs we require please. Both tails wagged first innings so fair play to both and let's remember these are professional internationals and not tubby club cricketers. See how the first hour goes tomorrow, that will decide the outcome.

SpireTyke
(Login SpireTyke)

Day 3

September 21 2017, 7:52 PM 

I am taking a day off and going tomorrow. Leaning is in a bit of form, Fisher is no mug and I thought Coad batted well at Scarborough. There is plenty of life in the old dog yet,

Come on Yorkshire.

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Game in the Ballance

September 21 2017, 8:01 PM 

Agree a lot depends on the Skipper. We should be able to do this if he stays there and Leaning, Bresnan and Hodd can add a few handy partnerships.

If we get down to Fisher with more than 40 left I will be very worried.

Perhaps we should be funky and have an early start watchman, put Patto in next.

I haven't checked the stats but did hear on commentary that though Patel gets plenty of wickets he doesn't have a great strike rate.

Happy to grab on to any possible good news.

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2017, 8:10 PM 

TU - we got 119 for our last 4 wickets, they got 170!!

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 21, 2017 8:34 PM

twenty2guns
(Login twenty2guns)

Game in the balance

September 21 2017, 8:10 PM 

We've picked 5 seamers and not picked a spinner, Warwickshire have one of the best spinners in CC, though he was out-bowled by Harmer last week. Why has the groundsman produced a pitch that was providing assistance to the spinner on the second day?

My hope is that the pitch behaves as it did against Hampshire, and the Test Match, and flattens out on the last day of the match. Or was that just down to the bowlers on the days concerned.

sid
(Login sid-don)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2017, 8:12 PM 

I'm sat here with my Paul Hudson voodoo doll after the forecast rain failed to arrive and I missed today having shown far to much faith in his prediction.

Realistically we should win, but Patel was a handful on day 2 so he'll be a significant challenge tomorrow. That makes me nervous. As Marsker says; don't let him dominate. Also, worryingly, and again realistically, a lot depends on Ballance, if he goes early, I'm not sure who my money would be on to play the required 'significant' innings!

Lets put this 'we allowed them 100 runs' in the 1st innings myth to bed. They recovered as conditions eased and the ball aged. Bell is a high class player and played well, Patel is dangerous and played some shots, got away with it, and played some more. It happens. Its no-ones fault.

This message has been edited by sid-don on Sep 21, 2017 8:35 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 21 2017, 8:22 PM 

Stu, throw in the fact that our number 7 was batting at 8. And our 'recovery' wasn't comparable!

Peter
(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 21 2017, 8:25 PM 

In danger of stating the obvious here, but I would say that the first hour tomorrow is the crucial time....if we can survive to 100-3 then i think warwichshires tail will go down and the rest will be a stroll in the park.....on the other hand 80-6 doesn't bear thinking about, even though we can still recover from there. Warks did from 49-6 remember?

All this talk about giving away 100 runs post lunch the first day is way off the mark. There are two teams on the pitch remember, and opposing batsmen can do well against us.

I am sure on the warks forum they will be complaining about 'giving away' 6 wickets in the first session of play and without that they could have scored 350.

Middlesex are not out of the woods yet.

Interestingly Somst if they lose will be 16 points behind middlesex, and will clearly need to beat them and also match their bonus points.

wonder if middlesex would have the audacity to put somst in, get their 3 bowling points then declare at the fall of their second wicket....then all they would have to do is get somst out for 299 or less, surely on a prepared 2 day wicket that should be easy enough.

Would of course be an extraordinary declaration and will no doubt be punished, but is it any different to the point we were cheated out of when we played them? That point could yet relegate us.

Even if we lose and somerset draw, we have a good chance of avoiding the drop as somst will still be going all out for the win and in so doing could lose, in which case a draw at chelmsford could be enough to save us.

All conjecture of course, lets just win tomorrow and leave the southerners to fight it out amongst themselves

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 21 2017, 8:43 PM 

Thanks for the permutations, Peter. I'm sitting here too frightened to work it all out.

One thing's for sure -- re that other silly thread -- we do NOT want to be relegated.

Good luck to the boys tomorrow. Let's be cheering them on, not 'communicating Headingley tension' from the crowd.

(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 21 2017, 8:54 PM 

WS55 - Not a silly thread, just a thread to extract posters opinions.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 21 2017, 9:25 PM 

There are three issues tomorrow. Firstly how many of our batsmen are ready to put up a real fight to get the runs, secondly how will the wicket (and umpires) have an effect on the outcome of the game and thirdly when and how much will weather intervene. Whatever happens we have made real pigs ear of this match, with team selection and with tactics, especially use of 5 seamers.
After watching Lees at Scarborough he is not in a right state of mind to be in CC side, despite getting runs in lower level cricket. Even if we fail to win tomorrow, we could save ourselves with decent performance next week if we select side to win the match. We certainly will not need 5 seamers but the two youngsters should play and also be the given opportunity to start with new ball.

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 21 2017, 9:48 PM 

This could be a situation where someone in the lower order is deputed to swing the bat and get the target down to manageable proportions. I note that Lancs chasing a target on a wearing pitch tried to graft it out and failed. Maybe Bres is the man. The captain hit out a bit towards the end today, I notice.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 21 2017, 10:04 PM 

people advocate the young seamers have to play, and i agree they are great prospects. but the bowlers who turned the game today were steve patterson and tim bresnan. the experienced old timers did the job.

dpressed
(Login dpressed)

September 21 2017, 10:06 PM 

Thanks to a lucky forecast at 9am I did see all but the first over and a half of today's play. Based on today I think we are going to get relegated.

I say this because of two reasons.

My first is 'luck/feel'. Today Warwick got 251 in their 2nd innings. I'm still not sure how. Coad got two wickets yet beat the bat every over he bowled without getting an edge until Sidebottom edged the final ball of the innings. To a lesser degree the other bowlers were similar. To put it bluntly we just had the feel of a team who don't believe that they are going to win.

My 2nd is Patel. Whilst he is good, and making the ball turn, apart from one over which went for 14 Yorkshire made him look like the best spin bowler ever. I was going to say against left handers, but Brathwiate showed that Patel can also do it against right handers. I just fear that he'll tie our batsmen up in knots and they will get out trying to hit the pace bowler at the other end.

As for Lyth the bowler. Sorry but he was just tying up and end when we needed wicket takers. Sadly without Rashid we don't have a spin bowler who can take wickets. The 'problem' is that we really only need one spinner for first class cricket and Rashid usually does that job semi-well (this season excepted). If Rashid was an England regular we could sign an overseas/Lurpac replacement. BUT what we need is a the spin equivalent of Hodd. That is a spin bowler who will take wickets in the Championship but is willing to step down when Rashid is available. Sadly Rafiq & Carver can't take the wickets.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 21 2017, 10:34 PM 

We did not make mistakes with selection, and I say this as someone who thought we should have played TKC. The significant point about Lees had nothing to do with Scarborough but with a century in the last match. You can't leave someone out after that. With hindsight if anyone should have missed out it should have been Brooks, but Patto was more likely and he has been superb. Bresnan too, who would have been another contender.

Two minor points about today's events. Someone commented that Gary Ballance went on the attack at one stage. What happened was that Patel bowled a completely uncharacteristic over, with three long hops. Maybe his fingers were cold. They went for 4,2,6. The two was heading for an easy four, hit some wretched bit of drainage/hose pipe provision and stopped dead. Hope we don't lose by one.

As we have a recurring Hodd debate I would like to mention Trott's lbw. Hodd decided to stand up to Patto for him. Within a few deliveries he pulled off a great take off one that lifted, and then Trott was lbw caught on his crease. In some ways Hoddy's dismissal as well as Patto's.

< Previous Page 13 4 5 6 7 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk