<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Brian
(Login NewBrian)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Headingley (Day Four)

September 22 2017, 8:00 PM 

Calls to sack Gale belong to the world of football, not cricket. Who's to say he won't be one of the great coaches, if given time?

smootoo
(Login smootoo)

growth from within

September 22 2017, 8:03 PM 

I'm a great advocate of this. Would much rather support the home grown talent than Kolpaks. Surely plenty of time to address player development through the winter, whatever happens at Chelmsford.
All I really hope is that manag mentioned keep an open eye and heart on potential change. Pick on ability and form not past relationships.
Steve

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

Yorkshire win

September 22 2017, 8:35 PM 

Didn't think I'd be saying that at anytime between Ballance getting out and lunch. Well done to the team, everybody had a part to play but special respect to Fisher and Patterson for the cool way they got us home.

Hope we can win next week at Chelmsford with a team mostly picked with form, conditions, and fitness fully assessed.

Possible exception is to pick Ryan if he is fit enough, maybe as part of a 5 man seam attack just in case. I'd like to see him finish his career on the pitch as part of a winning team if at all possible, big ask I know.

Cool appraisal needed after that to rectify a few problems, look for options in a few key areas, and maybe bring in another leader to help the skipper out.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 22 2017, 8:36 PM 

>> Who's to say he won't be one of the great coaches, if given time?

I think I know this one...

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 22 2017, 9:08 PM 

Just hope Gale realises himself that he is not up to job and stands down at end of season, to enable better coach to be appointed in good time to be able to plan properly for next season to challenge for success in all three formats - we have players to do this, with securing of good overseas player (all season) and perhaps one more signing or kolpak addition. Must retain key youngsters.

Lew
(Login Lewis_116)

September 22 2017, 9:43 PM 

Agree with Brian and thought the same. The idea of sacking Gale even if we went down is laughable.

He deserves more respect. He was a superb captain who brought a lot of pride to the shirt. Moxon also has done a good job.

They deserve time.

PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

September 22 2017, 9:57 PM 

...whaddya know, I was right!

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 22 2017, 10:16 PM 

if hodd had been playing for warwickshire we would have lost. a brilliant wicketkeeper, he would have saved those byes that ambrose gave away. And his fantastic display standing up to patterson was one of the highlights of the match.

(Login leef1234)

September 22 2017, 10:28 PM 

Yes it was a rant and where are the realistic names? A keeper who would stand aside when JB has to play?

Does Jennings want to play for Yorkshire? Could we even afford him? Did Davies? Borthwick & Stoneman didn't.

As for saying that they should have appointed Silverwood. Give up. He is doing very well at Essex & 12 months ago had just got them promotion.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 22 2017, 10:31 PM 

Silverwood also, I believe, has a wife with a very successful business based in the south. Many of the signings and appointments recommended on this forum are complete fantasies.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Leeds (day 4)

September 22 2017, 11:18 PM 

One issue which I feel needs addressing and has not been aired on here, is the unfitness of so many fast bowlers before the season even began. From Sidebottom at 39 down to Leech at 16, we had seven unfit when the first game was played. To an extent this was also true the previous year. It seems to me that a long hard look needs to be taken at how this type of player is prepared for the season ahead. The only bright light was the resulting emergence of Coad.

WRF
(Premier Login AlexRoberts)
Owner

For those who "count!"

September 23 2017, 12:07 AM 

It might interest the number-crunchers among us to know that today was the second busiest in terms of traffic in the White Rose Forum's 18-year history. Statistical proof at least that we are very passionate about the most famous and successful team in County Championship history.

Yorkshire's County Championship record since 1863...

Matches: 2801
Wins: 1203
Losses: 455
Draws: 1141
Tied: 2

* Alex (And yes I still teach statistics. LOL!)
""

WS55
(Login WibseySimon55)

September 23 2017, 12:19 AM 

Alex, thank you.

Glad the WRF goes from strength to strength.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 23 2017, 12:54 AM 

A good fightback by the lower order to get this much needed win, but that's all it was aided with some good fortune. The Yorkshire middle order were mostly hopeless against Jeetan Patel - Ballance wafted on the front foot to get triggered LBW, Leaning did use his feet well but got out tickling to leg slip after hitting a four the previous ball. Bresnan showed no paitence when he holed out to the only fielder out of the imaginary 30 yard circle. Hodd played and missed half a dozen times before eventually tickling one off Chris Wright.

From 30 minutes before lunch, Patel started to tire and lost accuracy with a number of balls comfortably going down leg side. At that point this allowed Fisher to establish himself and Patterson to play his strokes, although the latter induced 2 or 3 leading edges which fell into no-mans land.

Extras being 2nd highest top scorer in Yorkshire's 2nd innings (40) was another contributing factor to the win, mostly occuring during the Patterson and Fisher partnership.

Just because Yorkshire won and are a step closer to secure Division 1 status, doesn't mean the coaching staff avoid criticism. Yorkshire have not been able to play off the pace bowling well in all formats of cricket for a very long time and this wants rectifying, i'm not sure Gale can advise on this because he too got bogged down to off the pace bowling. Batsmen should be using their feet more and place attacking shots in empty areas of the field or nurdling for a single, not just go on a blockathon or punish a bad ball.

Idle Man
(Login Idle_man)

September 23 2017, 7:34 AM 

Patel may have tired, but I wondered if a bit of damp had gone from the wicket. In addition the lower order are right handers, the upper order left handers, by and large. For whichever reason he switched most of his attack to leg stump, presumably looking for foot marks. Leaning fell for it, Patto and Fisher left as much as possible. And the leg stump line proved way beyond their 'keeper' who scores runs in the middle order'. If Ambrose is the sort we should look for, no thanks.

Steve C
(Login stevecowton)
Assistant Moderator

September 23 2017, 8:08 AM 

Its obvious i know - but someone has to ask it - what was the most popular day in WRF history...?
Was it the championship day in 2001..?

Twelfth Man
(Login twelthman)

September 23 2017, 8:27 AM 

I imagine it would have been in the last three years. Not sure enough people were on the "web" in 2001 to make it busier than yesterday, but who knows. We wait with baited breath...

(Login EastYorkshireTyke)

September 23 2017, 8:48 AM 

I don't know what the busiest was but this is my favourite thread of all time on here. The sheer amount of ranting and illogical thought was joyful.......and all after a win aswell. Think I'm going to make a brew and read it all again!

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 23 2017, 9:35 AM 

Now that the dust has settled and my blood pressure has receded I can look at the furore more clearly (a lot of excitement from me and a little ranting). I'm going to try and be positive but still keep an open mind to a few tweaks hopefully on the horizon.

I'm going to change my gale and moxon out campaign to now giving them a chance and hopefully this season has been a learning curve. They have also been let down terribly by the batting department.

Although I would still like an experienced outsider to come in to the set up to work alongside gale in some capacity.

I still believe the issues I mentioned need addressing but fingers crossed we make some positive signings

Let's give a good account of ourselves at Chelmsford and give carver/shutt a chance alongside coad and fisher

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 23 2017, 10:02 AM 

Thank goodness for sanity. This was a GREAT day, and we've got a team full of ability and character. In a wider context, this was also a superb game of cricket, the second nailbiter of the season.

I logged on last night expecting to read about our greatness; instead I found pages of ill-informed whingeing about everything from Gale downwards. What is the matter with you people?

For those who didn't notice, we were in trouble against an outstanding overseas bowler on a pitch that gave him assistance. The left-handers did nothing wrong, but they were blown away by sharp turn and bounce and, in Ballance's case, by the variation ball that went straight on. This is 55-60 mph spin, not some rubbish you can easily dance down the pitch against.

The right-handers all countered with a mixture of defence and the occasional attack. Leaning and Hodd played good innings before Leaning was defeated by sharp turn and a good catch; Hodd was out at the other end, a ball that kept low but still managed to carry to slip. Bresnan attempted to break the shackles - it needed someone to - but he holed out off the inside edge.

This brought together the ultimate pro and the young kid, and their partnership deserves to be talked of for fifty years - a Yorkshire epic of talent, technique and temperament.

We are now almost safe...but remember Notts! What year was it, when they needed just 2 points from their final match and got only one? We escaped after a draw with Durham.

There are deficiencies in the side that need to be addressed. These do not include the batting, and they emphatically do not include the wicket-keeping. Let's accept we have no Rashid, and play him as a batsman/second spinner when they do release him, and let's sign a top-class spinner...if one is available, Kolpak or otherwise. But we need one who is available for the whole season. A finger spinner. not a leggie.

< Previous Page 18 9 10 11 12 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk