<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
marsker
(Login marskeman)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Headingley (Day Four)

September 24 2017, 12:02 AM 

what?... are you saying some people are castigating players, and stating coaches should be sacked, yet they do not even go to games. outrageous....

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 24 2017, 1:45 AM 

"Pick your best batsman in the world - anyone you like - and there's no guarantee that he will make runs. Even Kane Williamson didn't really get many for us, not as many as he gets for New Zealand. We've had an Aussie top-order Test batsman this year, and he didn't look very good, didn't score many runs.

Batting in England in April, May and September is difficult, and you need some luck to survive, except on a road like The Oval. The new ball is particularly testing."

You mean the same Peter Handscomb you heaped praise for scoring 20-30 runs for Australia against India on wickets where you felt runs are "worth a lot more (closer to 80-100)" and that "a bowler was one delivery away from having their batsmans name on it?"

The same Peter Handscomb where a fair number of Yorkshire fans were largely uninspired from the signing of a largely non profilic overseas player and displayed level headed constructed criticism, including those who witnessed his performances in the flesh in New Zealand?

Quite simply David, you can't have it both ways. Praising a prospective overseas player for partaking in a half-hearted battle for his country often in an often losing cause, then use hindsight to criticise him for not scoring enough runs for his overseas team.

Pyrahtechnics
(Login Pyrahtechnics)

September 24 2017, 2:12 AM 

"what?... are you saying some people are castigating players, and stating coaches should be sacked, yet they do not even go to games. outrageous...."

Like a true Yorkshireman, i'll say it like it was. The moment when Tim Bresnan decided to take on the spin of Jeetan Patel a few balls into his own innings and picked out the only Warwickshire fielder in the deep, the crowd greeted Bresnan to stone silence as he trundled off to the pavilion. If Geoff Boycott was ever at the ground or co-commentating with David Callaghan, he would have turned the air blue with the pure wrecklesness displayed by an experienced player.

At that point, the game was felt it was lost when there was three seam bowlers to come in next. Bizzarely on this forum, there is one individual who defended Bresnan for playing a T20 stlyed slog when publically despising the short format at every given opportunity.

Frank Smith
(Login FreshStart1987)

September 24 2017, 7:55 AM 

The main problem is that only certain users are allowed an opinion. If anybody says anything they disagree with they get patronised and lynched.

This is a forum where people are allowed an opinion regardless of what anybody else thinks. We can all name at least 3 of the dinosaurs.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 24 2017, 8:09 AM 

I've never really understood these complaints, Frank. We go on the forum, read stuff, and if we want, post. Then other people read it, and if they want, post too. They usually communicate whether they agree or disagree. Isn't that what a forum is for?

The vast majority of disagreement is civilised. The exceptions tend to be very occasional posters who usually only appear after a defeat. To be honest it tends to be a t20 defeat.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 24 2017, 9:16 AM 

The comparison of Bresnan holing out at deep square leg with t20 is not that straightforward.

Firstly the boundary on Friday would have been bigger so his shot would have been 6 in t20 in all probability.

But secondly it wasn't a t20 shot, but the right shot with the wrong outcome in my view. Patel was tying down an end getting regular wickets at an economical rate and he could bowl all day. We needed to try and get him out the attack or make him lose his control and accuracy as well as try and seize the momentum.

I'm not against what Bres did at all. A few yards either way and a boundary and everyone would be saying what a great shot it was. Pushing and prodding had got us nowhere up to then. Team player prepared to take a risk for the team. He'd be in my starting line up for that alone

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 24 2017, 9:34 AM 

Why are your only 2 options against the spinner block or slog?

I've now seen several posters who i believe to be regulars at the ground thinking that these are the only too options. Absolutely baffling.

(Login ThirdUmpire)

September 24 2017, 9:46 AM 

And your other options?

Try and work him for singles to rotate the strike presumably?

Geoff B
(Login Coastalview)

We did win, didn't we!

September 24 2017, 10:19 AM 

The emotion on here was nothing like actually being there and feeling every ball.

Bresnan's dismissal was such a shock (I'm not the only one disappointed when he doesn't score) in the almost slow motion way it happened.

Thomson I think it was all alone in acres of space just about the only man on the boundary.

I know he was put there because that was where the ball was likely to go if struck fiercely but it looked like Bres had picked him out deliberately.

It was pretty silent when he left the field and I'm sure he's played long enough to understand the crowds disappointment with the way things were going at that moment.

We still love you Tim, don't do that again though!

(Login dpressed)

September 24 2017, 11:17 AM 

Overseas players are always a risk. For our 2nd overseas we chose the West Indian captain who at the time was one of the best batsmen in the world. Richardson was awful & the biggest surprise was when we invited him back for a 2nd season. Yet when Slater got picked for Aus in 1997 we ended up with a batsman most of us had never hear of, even worse he looked short & fat. Within a fortnight it was 'Come on Darren's as Lehamnn hit opposition bowlers to all points

Dave Morton
(Login DaveMorton)

September 24 2017, 1:21 PM 

I did praise Handscombe for his gritty batting in India, and hoped he would bring the same qualities to Yorkshire. But perhaps that was expecting too much, that a bloke brought up on true, bouncy pitches would be able to cope with April in England. The will might be there, the experience and technique not.

And then he was given a working over by Jamie Overton on a dry pitch at Taunton, and I wondered about his quality at all.

How can you tell in advance? We took a punt on a fringe Aussie called Darren Lehmann, and he turned out to be a great player, by any meaning of that term. Would Steve Smith score runs? Would Virat Kohli? Greg Blewitt didn't, who was rated higher than Lehmann back home, back then.

I would like to see us employ a spinner/all-rounder for next season. R Ashwin, statistically the best in the world, has played 3 games for Worcestershire in Div 2 and scored 132 runs at 33.00 and taken 13 wickets at 33.46 - not terrible figures, but not great either.

Rolls Royce money for a Ford Fiesta.

So all I am saying is: before buying, are we SURE that this bloke is better than what we've got?

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 24 2017, 1:30 PM 

Before buying i can categorically tell you Steve Smith and Virat Kohli are better than what we have got.

Alibor
(Login Alibor2)

September 24 2017, 1:31 PM 

With Root and Bairstow and maybe even Ballance being unavailable for most of next season, I would much prefer a top batsman who can maybe bowl a few overs. Would like to see us not having more than 4 seamers and include a spinner who can als bat.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 24 2017, 6:12 PM 

I am not so sure Kohli would score a ton of runs on a cold day in England in april.

< Previous Page 18 9 10 11 12 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk