<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

Re: Championship | Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Headingley (Day Four)

September 22 2017, 5:10 PM 

Frank you are spot on. The trouble you are now having is an 8th wicket partnership between 2 bowlers means that our batting and keeper is fine! Baffling.

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 22 2017, 5:13 PM 

Double post.

This message has been edited by Dwight_Schrute on Sep 22, 2017 5:14 PM

Gavin Gray
(Login yorkie1863)

September 22 2017, 5:16 PM 

Añd here we go again with all the negative comments about Gale and Moxon, calling for them to go.

Can someone tell me what they have done to deserve to lose their positions? On the field of play it is down to the Captain and each player to play well. Hodd needs a consistent run in the side. How many have kept this season?Hodd Bairstow Safraz Handscomb. Hodd to keep all season if possible. Bairstow when allowed to play only plays as a batsman.

I mentioned on a previous thread that due to this Mickey mouse cricket that players seem to be more concerned about scoring quickly than in grinding out an innings. They need to be more switched on and adaptable to situations. Cut out stupid risks like Ballances suicidal run out or silly shots and just work the ball around rotating strike. Build a platform to start.

Someone had a right go at Moxon and Gale calling for their heads and posted a list of things to change. I agreed with 1point. Boycott and Vaughan involved with the club as they both had that mental toughness when they played.

One further comment, if we do as some suggest and buy 2 players for next season, and they play very well. ECB will call them up. God I've had enough for now.

marsker
(Login marskeman)

September 22 2017, 5:25 PM 

i did,nt even agree with with that point, neither of them are interested in yorkshire.

Papag
(Login Papag1)

September 22 2017, 5:32 PM 

Great game anybody there will tell you about the real tension at the ground, Ive aged 5 years along with undoubtedly many others, Jack Brooks blocking his one ball then Patto smashing the winning 4 with Jack going mental in the middle with happiness will stay with me forever. Say what you want about the players but they do care 100% watching the emotion on the balcony would have confirmed that to anybody .

LUTyke
(Login Y4EV)

September 22 2017, 5:33 PM 

In a completely ideal world Gale would be out of the door at the end of the season and we would sign 2 new batsmen, a wicketkeeper-batsman, an opening bowler and an effective spinner, with Lees, Rafiq and Brooks (not sure he offers much now he's past it) gone. Unfortunately that's not all achievable so I'd be happy if 2 from my wishlist is granted in the winter.

Dewsburian
(Login Dewsburian)

September 22 2017, 5:38 PM 

I can see that the pace bowlers have all been growing old together. We've been talking about this for some time and an injection of fresh blood of the kind we saw when Brooks and Plunkett were signed might not be an entirely bad idea. Similarly, many of the batsmen have, for once, gone through periods of poor form together, as happened at many counties this season which failed to make a good start (e.g. Somerset, Warwickshire, Lancs.). Some of our batsmen have had really poor years, though not quite so catastrophic as Abell at Somerset, Hain at Warwickshire or Hameed at Lancs, but the call to sack every Yorkshire batsman whose name begins with "L" has been a hysterical overreaction.
The overseas players have come and gone too rapidly for my liking and we were probably slow to realize that a Kolpak signing might have been a more stable solution. I particularly dislike the idea of signing a player for the last two games of the season (Inzamam is still fresh in the memory), but we'll see how that works out.
The spin department is also a worry and clearly 17 counties made the massive mistake of not signing Simon Harmer. If there's another one out there, then I certainly hope we'll be the county to grab him.
On the other hand, I'm struggling to see why Andrew Hodd should take all the blame for Yorkshire's "deficiencies". He is more of a late middle-order batsman - a Read or a Foster - than a genuine batsman - a Bairstow or a Foakes. Could anyone sensible have looked at Yorkshire's overall needs this season and decided that the really important thing to do was to replace Hodd with Dane Vilas (a man whose last six f/c scores have been 6, 7, 14, 8, 5 and 37)? That really would have been papering over cracks very thinly.

This message has been edited by Dewsburian on Sep 22, 2017 5:41 PM

Brian
(Login NewBrian)

September 22 2017, 5:42 PM 

I'd like to say that I was always very confident. It wouldn't be true, though. I didn't dare follow the score but then got an email from the club talking about a 'tense victory for Yorkshire'.
Gale for one doesn't think survival is cut and dried yet, but surely that must be about it, shouldn't it, now that Somerset have lost?
Well done Patto and Fisher.

Gary Wilson
(Login garywilson2)

September 22 2017, 5:55 PM 

Wonderful article by Hopps. Read it , sums up perfectly the attitude of some on here.

JollyD
(Login JollyD)

Championship Yorkshire vs Warwickshire at Leeds (day 4)

September 22 2017, 5:59 PM 

We need 6 points against Essex to be absolutely safe from relegation (you do the maths). Of course, fewer points might do, depending on the results of other games.

(Login dpressed)

September 22 2017, 6:01 PM 

Thankfully Patto (& Fisher) proved me wrong. If we'd picked a spinner, who would hardly have bowled, one of these 2 would have been left out. The 2 of them effectively batted us to victory plus Fish got 5 in the first innings & Patto 4 in the 2nd.

Or you pick your best bowlers. Patel was in the Warick team because he's good. Sadly we couldn't sign him for Yorks.

Before anyone objects let me explain. For most Championship Ames we need one spinner. If he's available this will be Rashid. So we either need a 'Hodd alike' spinner who will accept being dropped if Adil is available or accept Rash leaving us

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 22 2017, 6:01 PM 

A splendid game with a breathtaking conclusion.
Well done Yorkshire for showing spirit and determination at a time when defeat looked likely.
The team has been fragile this season in all departments but nevertheless we have demonstrated that we have resilience.

As for Gale. I wasn't convinced at the time of his appointment and am still not convinced. However, after the Essex catastrophe, I suggested that the true test of his skills will be how he gets us out of the mess we're in. That still remains true for me and I look forward with interest to how he reflects on the season at the end of next week and how he and Moxon respond during the close season.

(There's far too much Hodd bashing at the moment.)

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 22 2017, 6:08 PM 

JollyD -- I make it 7 points needed. 6 for us and a 24 point win for Somerset would give us the same number of points as them and the same number of wins. No idea what he deciding criteria is in that situation.

This message has been edited by StuartRA on Sep 22, 2017 6:10 PM

Dwight_Schrute
(Login Dwight_Schrute)

September 22 2017, 6:14 PM 

Stu 6 for us would leave us 8 clear of Middlesex. Who can't pass us then in defeat.

(Login Fozzie1973)

September 22 2017, 6:16 PM 

A Somerset win with same bonus points as Middlesex has them finishing above them, I doubt it will be a high scoring game can't see either side getting many batting bonus points, 3 or 4 points will probably be enough for us

Stu
(Login StuartRA)
Assistant Moderator

September 22 2017, 6:17 PM 

Thanks Dwight, and apologies to JollyD. Middlexex could get 8 points in defeat, but they have less wins than us, so we do need 6 points.

(Login Sideass)

September 22 2017, 6:39 PM 

Don't understand all this great team effort resilience tripe.

(Login Harrogateyorkie)

September 22 2017, 7:14 PM 

Well said papag, The players clearly do care judging by Jacks reactions and yes I will remember the game for a long time.

Well played. Yorkshire grit!

littleoldme.
(Login littleoldme.)

worst possible situation

September 22 2017, 7:23 PM 

Monday at Essex and what can go wrong now! Well I would expect Ballance would want to bat ( so we don't face Harmer batting last) first so a toss is likely.. If we lose it and Essex are 350 for 1 at the close or we win it and are rolled for 90 all out. Then we hear Somerset are on top at Taunton but Middlesex have acquired some bonus points and at Edgbaston Hampshire are hammering the bottom side Warwickshire, then that dreaded 7th place could be ours after all. Or am I just a doom and gloom merchant?
A Buchan

(Login WhiteroseDave)

September 22 2017, 7:27 PM 

Today was a GOOD DAY for Yorkshire cricket. Today was the day that meant we are very likely to say up, have a decent chance of a top half finish and an outside chance of finishing 2nd. Yes we have some issues that need looking at over the winter but I would be more than happy with Lyth, lees, leaning, TKC, Ballance, Hodd, Bresnan, Patterson, Fisher, Coad, Brooks and Rashid being 12 of our 14/15 man first team squad. Whether or not you agree with that assessment I'm pretty sure that nobody can dispute that today was a GOOD DAY.

< Previous Page 17 8 9 10 1112 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk