<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Yorkshire v Warwickshire day 4

September 22 2017 at 3:41 PM
Nigel chapman  (Login oxfordexile)

big sighs of relief all round should not disguise how mediocre this season has been. The championship table may well end with us in the upper half but this was the worst season in it for five years. We have an ageing attack albeit with two fast bowlers in Coad and Fisher who could fill the gaps. The reliance on one spinner Rashid and one keeper Hood are both points of weakness. We need some other options in both area as injury could strike at any time.

The batting has underfired this year. Next year will be critical for Lees - will we see him move upwards in his Oval style or sink away and out of the team? Similarly for Leaning who hasn't shown the consistency we would like.

In some ways -and this is where Gale and Moxon have to take some responsibility - our overseas choices have been the biggest disappointment. Marsh just about met the standard, the rest did not. With out weak batitng, and the risk that Ballance will play for England, we need our overseas player to get close to a thousand runs a season..

I am not convinced Baraithwaite will be the answer and it will be a big punt to take him for the April. May championship matches in a damp English spring with spicey wickets.

Much as I would like to see us battle on with homegrown talent and one overseas player., I do not think we are strong enough to do that next year. We need to find a decent spinner to cover Rashid and at least one more batsman to cover for our current top five even allowing for what we have in reserve

But fingers crossed now we will be Division one in what will be defining season for a number of our players including Lees, Bresnan, Brooks, Leaning, and our heroes in this match Patto and Fisher.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PaulYorks
(Login PaulYorks2)

Re: Yorkshire v Warwickshire day 4

September 22 2017, 4:22 PM 

A sensible post, although I would take issue with this part: "In some ways -and this is where Gale and Moxon have to take some responsibility - our overseas choices have been the biggest disappointment."

I think overseas signings are a lottery to a large degree - both in terms of their performance and their prospects of getting an international call-up - and probably the area where the manager and coach have the least influence.

Tyke1950
(Login Tyke1950)

September 22 2017, 5:15 PM 

Difficult to condemn Marsh. His contributions in two Championship matches were fine as were his 20/20 efforts on the whole.
Brathwaite has played one match only.
Handscomb fell away. He seemed a curiously detached figure for the most part.
Safraz offered little or nothing. He looked overweight and unfit.

(Login Blackpooltyke)

September 22 2017, 6:08 PM 

indeed. if the overseas player does well he will be away playing for his country, if he doesn't he will disappoint.....can't really win.

we need a good kolpak or 2.

Idle man
(Login Idle_man)

September 22 2017, 10:20 PM 

How many 'decent spinners' are there in the Championship? Not one per team. There's no chance of signing any of them as back-up for Rashid. Replacement maybe, if you're prepared to see Rashid go, but even then, difficult to attract one of them.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  
All IP addresses are recorded. We reserve the right to remove personal attacks, sexist, racist, homophobic, defamatory or abusive comments, comments likely to incite religious hatred, those disposed to wind others up, and unapproved advertising.

Email us: Whiterosecricket@hotmail.co.uk